In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Military Death Benefits

Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
edited February 2005 in General Discussion
I am curious as to what you all think about this. I personally believe the money is better spent elsewhere, but that's just my opinion.

Washington Times
January 31, 2005
Pg. 16

Military Death Benefits
By Dan K. Thomasson

If there is any common ground for agreement left between the warring political parties in Congress it should be in protecting the welfare of the loved ones of American soldiers who die in combat. At the moment, the nation's gratitude for those who have given their utmost is a paltry $12,420 - in many cases hardly enough to pay for funeral expenses.

A proposal would increase that 1908-established gratuity to $100,000; hardly excessive when one considers what this government paid survivors of victims of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attack. That compensation averages well over $1 million for civilian families with relatives of policemen and firemen killed in the tragedy receiving more than twice as much. The September 11 victim compensation fund was established to protect the commercial airline industry from lawsuits, not a great idea given the precedent it set.

Since established under Theodore Roosevelt in 1908 as a bonus for Civil War veterans, the gratuity, originally a few hundred dollars, has been increased several times but not by much. It went to $1,800 to $3,000 (depending on rank) in 1956. During the Gulf war, it was raised to $6,000 with half of it taxable. In 2003, it was increased to $12,000 and was made tax-free and tied to military pay raises. On Jan. 1, the 3? percent pay increase for all military personnel boosted it $420.

Currently, the Army provides both an opportunity for its troops to buy at a low rate a $250,000 term life insurance policy and a death benefit of $6,900. Plus there is a limited monthly stipend for wives. There have been complaints that paperwork has slowed the insurance payments, and some wives and children have been financially as well as emotionally devastated.

Another plan circulating in Congress would have the Army pay the insurance premium. Some military personnel have reduced the amount of the policy to save money or, in some case, have refused it altogether.

The proposal also would increase the insurance to $300,000, and it estimates raising both the death gratuity and the insurance ceiling would cost about $420 million in the first year. While that may seem substantial, it is little enough to assure those willing to sacrifice their lives that their survivors have extended security.

Few issues have more emotional appeal and practical application. If the nation continues relying on an all-volunteer military supplemented by reserve and National Guard units, few other proposals could do as much to keep recruitments high as convincing potential soldiers in time of war that, if anything happens to them, their loved ones will be provided for.

Aside from the practical aspect, it is simply the right and the moral thing to do. Past generations have willingly sacrificed their lives in the national interest without the kinds of protection they deserved. Few have made an issue of it. The time has come to provide the guardians of our welfare and freedom with more than just a posthumous medal for bravery.

In fact, the insurance policy should be extended to those permanently maimed in combat. As a former secretary of Veterans Affairs noted recently, those who care for soldiers who have lost a limb or face long-term disability often experience more serious emotional and financial costs than the families of those who have died. But extending the insurance to cover injuries probably is some time off.

Several private foundations also provide compensation for families of those who die in service. The Intrepid Fund, supported by private donations, distributes several thousand dollars for children and wives and husbands of military dead. But the government should bear most of the burden.

Republicans pushing the increase clearly believe it will help offset Democrat charges the Bush administration has neglected servicemen and women, failing to provide many of them, particularly reservists and Guardsmen, adequate armor and other equipment. Whatever the reasons for this push, it is an opportunity for both parties to put aside some of the animosity already so obvious in the new Congress and do something for the most deserving among us. Chances seem fairly good few lawmakers will want to vote against it, especially those who have been so critical of Iraq and current Pentagon policies.

Dan K. Thomasson is former editor of the Scripps Howard News Service.

NSDQ!

NS_Crest.jpgr6team.gifAmerican_IR_Flag.jpg

"The Lord knows the way I take, and when He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold" JOB 23:10

Comments

• Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Some soldiers may have $100,000 in SGLI but Uncle Sam taxes that 28% right?

I read in the new VFW Mag that Dell has a fund to give spouses of deceased members free money.

I think some young Army Officer (NS) should start a 'Disability Insurance Program' for all members of the military to pay a monthly fee and if they should get disabled while in service they get some lump sum of money.

God knows the disability from the VA ain't enough to help those coming back from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Start your own business Night Stalker. You would be surprised how many people you could find to give you $5 a month. The lump sum ain't gotta be grand.....but atleast something.[xx(]
  • Options
    Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Red: How right you are about the taxes, I've seen it happen to folks.

With regard to the $5 monthly investment into a disability fund, I don't know about that one. Who would decide what type and percentage of disability a soldier shuld receive? Unfortunately, it looks like a breeding ground for problems and corruption to me.

NSDQ!

NS_Crest.jpgr6team.gifAmerican_IR_Flag.jpg

"The Lord knows the way I take, and when He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold" JOB 23:10
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I ran the numbers and no it isn't feasbible.

If you charged $5 a month and 250,000 people pitched in you would have $1,250,000 every month.

Unfortuneatly if you paid out $2500 you could only pay 500 people.

We have many, many, many more than that coming back from Afghanistan and Iraq with military disability's requiring Medical Evaluations and discharges.
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Had my father been killed in any of the combat he participated in, my family would have been in deep doo doo with $10,000. Granted at that time the SF community was much smaller and very close, so it would not have been unusual for help to come from out of channel sources. Still, I think $100,000 is more in line with the realities of todays economy. It cannot be an easy thing to go into combat while worrying what will become of your family on top of the other more immediate concerns.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why should we "Give them" anything. I'm retired Army and I think that's dumb. I know for sure that soldiers can have $250K worth of insurance for a paltry sum each month. How much do you need?

I think some of them are just being greedy.

If it's the IRS that's screwing them out of money, cut the law that says the it get taxed. If the insurance company is just slow to pay off, I'm sure that your Congressman/Representative or local newspaper, maybe even 60 Minutes would be very interested in it!

It is unacceptable to put the families of deceased Service Members through anything more than what has already happened.

Sounds like a liberal is trying to buy his way out of something. "Hey we have a problem, let's throw some money at it."

Phil

I learn something new everyday.
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I totally agree guntech, this problem won't be solved with more money, only less bureaucracy

Molon Labe
  • Options
    joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kind of curious what the $250,000 of life insurance costs a soldier
    today. I know back in ww2 we could get $10,000 insurance for $6.40
    per month. No idea of any "death benifits". I must agree the millions
    of dollars the families of 9-11 victims dont seem quite fair.
  • Options
    mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just looked it up and the benefits are good during war time. If a servicemember doesn't get life insurance through SGLI they are stupid. Death benefits should be held the same and the soldier counseled about the benefits of life insurance and the consequences of not getting it. The premium for 250k is a little over 16 dollars a month well worth it if you are thinking of your families welfare.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    joe1911A1- $250,000 in insurance for $16.75 a month. And before you deploy they of course have you update your paperwork to decide where the money will go.

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news.

-- A. J. Liebling
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DaveW is correct. That's what I pay each month for $250K coverage. I don't have a wife or kids but I can't pass up that kind of coverage at that price.

Depending on your rank, how long you've been in the military (rank+TIS=income/standard-of-living) and if you've been married, a sound financial advisor would advise WAY MORE than $250K coverage.
  • Options
    joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dave W. :: Thanks for your input. Looks like we realy got "shafted" in
    ww 2 paying $6.40 per mo. for only $$10,000. $6.40 was about 10 percent
    of our monthly pay. Any damn fool soldier not taking this deal for insurance is down right stupid. Tax or no tax. At a Privates pay (52.00 per month, insurance $6.40 laundry, soldiers fund, allotment home ETC ) didnt leave much. However later, we got "overseas pay", believe it was 10 percent, and CIB pay of $10.00. Guess we were rich,
    with no place to spend it. But, would like to see the tax on the insurance benifit stopped for the Military completely. Just dont seem fair to tax a insurance policy benificiary. Kinda wonder if all those 9-11 victims families have this insurance and benifits tax?
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys had it really tough Joe, Thank you.

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news.

-- A. J. Liebling
  • Options
    CELTIC317CELTIC317 Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats b.s.! You go where your gov't sends you to do a task you may or may not believe in, you make the ultimate sacrifice, your life and uncle sam gives you $10000? Lets see, a politician serves 4 years in congress and gets a pension until he dies? My taxes pay to keep death row convicts alive to the tune of 2million just for appeals? We spend billions per year on pork barrel crap, We send billons for foriegn aid, We are the largest contributor to the UN, whoose members hate us, and we would begrudge a serviceman more than $10000 in death benefits...SHAME ON YOU ALL!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Celtic, this falls under the category of "Been there and done that." $250,000 is ALOT of money. It's enough. Too d*** many civilians getting involved in military business. The life is rough, the bennies are good. That's the the problem with people today, all they want is MORE, MORE, MORE.

$250K is about 9 years pay for an E-6. That's not enough?

Dave , You're right! The old soldiers had it way tougher than I did. My dad used to tell me "Imade $19 a day, once a month!"

Phil

• Options
    edited November -1
    SORRY I HAVE TO VENT, I CANNOT BELIEVE THE RESPONSE TO THIS THREAD! I AM APPALLED THAT ANYONE , ESPECIALLY A VET WOULD ADVOCATE DENYING A SERVICEMAN WHO IS UNDERPAID ,OVERWORKED, AMONG THE HIGHEST DIVORCE RATE, A HUMBLE DEATH BENEFIT.TAKE FROM WELFARE, TAKE FROM ALL SOCIAL PROGRAMS... TAKE CARE OF OUR SERVICEMAN....PERIOD!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    HEY GUN TECH...BEEN THERE DONE THAT? ME TOO JERK OFF! I WAS MARRIED WITH A BABY...E-3 THE STATE OF KALIFORNIA SENT ME A LETTER TELLING ME I QUALIFIED FOR WELFARE AND FOOD STAMPS BASED ON MY INCOME ...$6800 / YEAR WITH MY WIFE WORKING.. WE COULDN,T AFFORD THE SUPPLEMENTAL LIFE INSURANCE UNCLE SAM WAS OFFERING. AND WE DID'T ACCEPT WELFARE. I'VE MADE A FORTUNE SINCE THOSE DAYS BUT MY FAMILY WOULD HAVE BEEN DESOLATE HAD I BEEN A CASUALTY BACK THEN. IT IS EVERYONES HOPE THAT THEIR SURVIORS ARE TAKEN CARE OF SHOULD WE TAKEN OUT IN THE SERVICE OF OUR COUNTRY. MY HUMBLE OPINION
  • Options
    edited November -1
    They are only underpaid and over worked at times like this. The rest of the lire is alot easier than you may think. Xmas man, they are getting the death benefit ON TOP OF the $250K insurance policy. Do you understand that!!??

Yes, I am a Vet AND a Combat Vet. Be realistic.

Phil

• Options
    edited November -1
    GUNTECH...I'LL SPEAK SLOWLY SO YOU CAN FOLLOW...WISH I COULD POST PICTURES... THE THREAD STATED THST THE DEATH BENEFIT WAS $10000... NOT THE LIFE INSURANCE..WE ALL HAD THAT.. I MAINTAIN THAT THE GOV'T OWES ITS SERVICEMAN MORE THAN A FOREIGN GOV'T, MORE THAN A CORRUPT POLTICIAN, I.E WE SHOULD TAKE CARE OF THOSE HAVE MADE THE ULTIMATE SACRFICE
  • Options
    victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    The govenor in my state is pushing for a free 250,000 life insurance policy.That is for all the gaurd members. I didn't know that life insurance was taxable? I thought Dubya was helping all the G.I.s out?

And this has come to pass,not to stay.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I get it!!!!!!!!!!!! So I'll say it again ......HOW MUCH DO THEY NEED? It costs less than 12K to bury someone. THAT is what it's for, NOT to take care of their family for the rest of their lives!!!! It is the SOLDIERS job to take care of his family, not the taxpayers!!!!!!!!!

NOW, Who doesn't get it?

Phil

• Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry, my ! key must have stuck.[:D]

Phil

• Options
    victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    How do you figure a young man of twenty with a child on the way can provide for a family if he dies?If his country calls him to go to war , don't you figure they can provide his family a chance to live off insurance for six years before the mother has to go to work? If the young man is injured in the war, this country will pay him alot more then 250,000 bucks by the time he dies. Its all figured in the price of going to war.Go figure.[:D][:D][:D]

And this has come to pass,not to stay.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Today's military is paid well. They don't need a pay increase.

They CAN get life insurance cheap.

They family of a dead servicemember get's $12,400 for a funeral. That's plenty. There was an article in this month's American Legion mag on how to have a funeral on the cheap. You don't need to be burried in some $10,000 casket, that's just plain silly. The funeral business has pocketed big money as there is no competition in the business and I for one don't want to support them.

Burry me in a pine box draped with a flag and let the worms feast.

Today's military brats are spoiled. Enlistment bonuses....re-enlistment bonuses....while us older NCO's get crap and see some E-3 coming in (with free rank) making more money than us. That ain't right. Then these kids get the option to live off-base/post and get BAH for rent off the bat. When I came in you had to have E-5 to live off base/post...and I lived in the dorms/barracks for over 7 years.

Quit spoiling and wanting to do more for the troops....you are weakening them and future NCO's. Patriotic feelings for them are fine and all but we ARE getting close to $8 Trillion in the hole.
  • Options
    cacti25cacti25 Member Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $100,000 sounds fair to me, and yes I served 1968-1970.
  • Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In '90, when I was getting shipped off, I tried to deny my benefits going from 100,000 to 250,000, or whatever it was. Had no family, no kids, just a lust to have my war. I was told it wasn't an option.

the voices in my head don't scare me. it's only when they stop that i get a little nervous.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You're right RED223. It is the soldiers responsibiltiy to prepare his family, financially, for his death. They are all tragic! Especially when (if this figure is correct, I can't remember where I saw it) the median age of the dead soldiers is 22.

The $12,420 is only there to cover funeral and related expenses.

You can say I'm cold hearted if you want but, I stand by my statements.

I paid for extra insurance while I was active so my family would be taken care of.

The other part of the bill is to offer a FREE upgrade (to $400k)to anyone killed in a designated combat zone. That makes way more sense to me.

Phil

• Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    It all boils down to whom the soldier loves more: his or her family or the service.

Fighting and dying are possibilities that must be accounted for when one joins the military. "But if I die, who will take care of my family?"

If you're lucky, some other man will marry your wife and provide for her, but unless I'm that man, I don't mean to sound like a heartless b@$#@rd, I don't want to be the one paying.

We have an all-volunteer military. No one forced these folks to join... and while putting one's life on the line for one's country is a laudible pursuit, each and every one of us has to ask, "Which comes first? My career or my family?"

And whatever choice you make, you stick with it and don't expect to come suckling at the public teat when things don't go as hoped.

Sorry, but that's how I feel. The money would be better spent on training, more training, and equipment.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Geez, EMM...that's two things in a row we agree on.[:D]

Phil