In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Memory fading fast. Don't recall buying these.

DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in General Discussion
About 10 years ago I got a private message on another forum from a member telling me a local pawn shop had a nickel, 5" Model 27 S&W for sale. He wasn't interested but knew from my posts that I liked 27s (now THERE'S an understatement). Anyway, he included the phone number for the shop and I spoke to the owner.

"Any peeling in the finish?"

"No."

"Any black spots of corrosion?"

"No."

"How much?"

"$295."

He seemed a bit perplexed that someone so far away (he was in Idaho and I was in Arkansas) would know about a gun in his shop and would be willing to pay an extra $20 to have it shipped. Sort of a pig in poke having not even seen a photo, I was pleased to see a nearly perfect revolver arrive. So clean and shiny it's hard to make a good photo of it. It "lettered" as shipped May 19, 1960 to Tacoma, WA.

Rooting around in the safe today looking for something else I came across the M27. I was surprised to see the "diamond" target stocks on it. It had the correct Magna style stocks when I bought it and I don't recall buying these or putting them on. But there they were.

The finish looks better than in the photo. Still can't get a good shot of it. The dark wood looks nice with the shiny finish.

standard.jpg
....................................................................................................
Too old to live...too young to die...

Comments

• guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always like those beefy looking revolvers.

Very nice!
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doc, very nice. I also like the looks of the larger framed revolvers. I never owned a semi auto until two years ago. Just prefer revolvers.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now that's sweet..[:p]
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very nice. I wish the one I have would have the 5" barrel instead of the 8 3/8

terrible picture
    [img][/img]c78d0b5d-a7fd-4b17-808f-39ed1458e926_zps8337da88.jpg
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ooohh Doc,,I won your giveaway,, was wondering when you would get around to shipping it-[8)]
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "I wish the one I have would have the 5" barrel instead of the 8 3/8."

I have a long 27-2 as well.

standard.jpg
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Beautiful guns Doc.[:)]
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beautiful![:)]

I hate to ask such a stupid question (my lack of knowledge on S&W is to blame), but what are the major differences between a 27 and a 66, other than a 66 being stainless? No doubt the 27 was probably built to a higher standard. I see a lot of similarities between the two, just based on the pics in this thread.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35 Whelen

I hate to ask such a stupid question (my lack of knowledge on S&W is to blame), but what are the major differences between a 27 and a 66, other than a 66 being stainless? No doubt the 27 was probably built to a higher standard. I see a lot of similarities between the two, just based on the pics in this thread.
    The model 66 is a k-frame where the 27 is the larger N-frame the 66 is the stainless version of the model 19
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At least you don't have to buy new guns now.
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage170
    quote:Originally posted by 35 Whelen

The model 66 is a k-frame where the 27 is the larger N-frame the 66 is the stainless version of the model 19

Thanks.[:)]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't recall, then there should be a Giveaway soon. All my 27's are blued, don't have any in nickel.
  • tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doc, your memory is bad. I can't believe you don't remember me forgetting that there last summer, you were supposed to send it back to me. [:D][:D] Awesome toy
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,455 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doc
    looks like your suffering from having too many , causing a issue keep up with , better do a giveaway to get it down to a manageable level [:D]

another great looking pistol [;)] you have there
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't try to improve my memory. It's fun to find stuff like that. [:)]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.