In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

My assault By TSA worker Caught on tape!

Comments

• reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    didnt look at the link...was there any penetration?
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag

why? you cruising for a date?[}:)][:o)]
  • nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,804 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TSA is a joke, look at the people that work there, dumb. I have seen a fellow sleeping while he was suppose to be looking at the screen.

I raised hell about it, I hope I got him fired.
  • MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 3,012
    edited November -1
    Well, everybody knows that's what you get for messin' wit "a large black woman"!

It's bad enough that these ex-gang-banger glorified security guards think they're cops in the terminal, this woman definitely needs to lose her job. I worked some security jobs years ago, and there's always one of these frustrated wannabe JBTs floating around somewhere. Fortunately, at the jobs I was on they were weeded out in short order and sent to guard open ditches at construction sites.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If she was out of line you should have gone back in the terminal and asked for her supervisor. Let that person deal with her. Show them the tape and ask that she be at least verbally reprimanded for getting in your face.
  • xxx97xxx97 Member Posts: 5,721
    edited November -1
    TSA will be union members soon...
  • Ford 23Ford 23 Member Posts: 3,129
    edited November -1
    TSA emp[oyees are Federal with all the benefits
  • 4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    sorry your to kind hearted, I would have them up on charges
    in a heartbeat, I have witnessed to many of the I am in charge
    your doing to do what I say. two things, first the instance she touched me, hell would be paid, second I would make sure they people knew everything about it.
  • bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I applied in 2002 for TSA. Saw several that got jobs and I didn't.
    In Dec. 2002 they called, wanted me to start in 2 days. I turned them down. AND GLAD I DID!!!
  • RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    From my observations, you can take the most bungling, moronic security guard the stereotype will bear and remove most of his/her/its brain cells and you'll have a top flight TSA employee. It's like postal employees with badges and way-too-much authority. But then, I'm a people-person and I don't like to be unkind to any group of people.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag

why? you cruising for a date?[}:)][:o)]
    Nope, I just get alittle nervous when they tell me to bend over and then say "this might hurt alittle bit"[:D]
  • wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    I don't mind cooperating with someone trying to do their job, if they are wrong I will have their supervisor involved. If they place their hands on me they will be warned once to keep their hands off of me. I don't put my hands on other people and I will not allow them to do that to me. After the warning if they keep it up, I will defend myself and remove their hands off of me, more than likely breaking bones in the process. I don't care if they are Nazi airport rentacops (TSA) or walmart employees it makes no difference to me. Afterwards I will certainly press charges for assault, and file civil action.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wittynbear
    I don't mind cooperating with someone trying to do their job, if they are wrong I will have their supervisor involved. If they place their hands on me they will be warned once to keep their hands off of me. I don't put my hands on other people and I will not allow them to do that to me. After the warning if they keep it up, I will defend myself and remove their hands off of me, more than likely breaking bones in the process. I don't care if they are Nazi airport rentacops (TSA) or walmart employees it makes no difference to me. Afterwards I will certainly press charges for assault, and file civil action.
    you should drive to your destination
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laredo Lefty
    If she was out of line you should have gone back in the terminal and asked for her supervisor. Let that person deal with her. Show them the tape and ask that she be at least verbally reprimanded for getting in your face.

you've got to be kidding right?, hell even the supervisor has their job thanks to affirmative action, now shut up and get back in line cracker
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    She's mean.

DIdn't you see her badge?
  • scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're lucky she didn't take her shoe off and start beating you with it.
  • TANGO X-RAYTANGO X-RAY Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I saw, the video didn't show the "assault" alleged. I heard her asking you to stop videotaping and you cursing telling her to get her hands off of you or you would throw her down the stares. No wonder you didn't file charges. You ain't got chit.
  • Tony641Tony641 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I watched it a second time to see if I missed something. Didn't see anything the second time either. I agree with Tango.
  • DefenderDefender Member Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The LAX cops saw the whole thing there was no wiggle room for the bimbo. Her hands were all over me and even without an injury that's a crime.

Telling her I'd throw her down the steps my attempt to get her to quit. I had the right to threaten under thosr conditions. She had no business going after me at all. The TSA forbids them from even confronting photographers.
  • airmungairmung Member Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do contract outcall maintenance for several scheduled air carriers, so I'm acquainted with TSA. I'm sorry, but TSA does not make me seel at all safer.
    From what I have seen, the vast majority are bored, inept, minimum wage rent-a-cops, often with a chip on their shoulder and a lot of authority to abuse.
    However, getting into a scuffle with, or assulting one of the obnoxious little angels will get you in loads of trouble. At the minimum:

1. You will be detained, interrogated (without your lawyer), probably arrested, and possibly charged with a felony.

2. You will be placed on the "no-fly list", so get used to Amtrak or Greyhound. You will never set foot on another commercial flight.

3. TSA has authority to do an "emergency revocation" of any federal certificate or license you possess, with no recourse. People have lost pilot and aircraft mechanic certificates at the whim of TSA goons. TSA's authority exceeds that of the FAA in this regard.

4. You will never obtain a security clearance.

5. You probably won't be able to obtain any sort of federal certification/license in the future, especially if it is connected with any part of the transportation industry.

So be vewwy vewwy fwightened..........
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    quote:Originally posted by Laredo Lefty

No, not kidding. Most organizations like this have a rank structure with supervisors. Even the TSA, as poor quality as they are, have supervisors who's responsibility is to oversee the conduct of those who work under them. If misconduct is brought to their attention they, in most cases, are required to investigate. Dont forget, that the supervisor also has a supervisor.

you've got to be kidding right?, hell even the supervisor has their job thanks to affirmative action, now shut up and get back in line cracker
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    TSA is a joke. I flew from New Orleans to Ft. Lauderdale with a bottle of Axe Snake Peel in my carry on (I forgot it was there), they didn't find it till the flight back home!!

She was similar to the gal in this video, but even more gangsta, plump and thuggish.... She x-rayed the bag, changed the resolution, dug into my bag and stated "LIIIIIIQUIIID!!!!!!!" in a eureka moment. She was so proud of her find that I had to tell her "GOOD JOB!!" with sarcasm of course.....
  • CannonmanCannonman Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I flew from Phoenix to Philly a few years back. On the way home the Philly TSA opened my small carry on to remove a nice zippo lighter with a navy insignia on it. my kids had givin it to me. Well they confincated it saying I could not take it on the plane. However they failed to confinscate the three bic lighters in the same case that were in plain sight on the X-ray and in the bag. Damned thieves. I kept my mouth shut, otherwise I would proply still be incarcerated[:(!][:(!]
  • CA sucksCA sucks Member Posts: 4,310
    edited November -1
    Umm, I watched the video, exaggeration much?

Assault, I think not.

So he's filming some cop handcuffing some guy, and the TSA worker says sir you need to stop filming, his response:
    "Get the f--k away from me"
    she said excuse me, and he repeated his statement.
    I didn't see any touching, it did show her holding her hands up, saying she's not touching him, at which point he makes a threat that if she touches him, he will throw her down on the ground.

I've been called a cop hater on other threads, and TSA security is in general worse than the police.

But in this case, the guy filming was the one with the problem.

Maybe he had a right to be fliming, but she never arrested him, or threatened him with arrest, and I saw no "assault", just some pissed off camera man with a very bad attitude.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CA sucks
    Umm, I watched the video, exaggeration much?

Assault, I think not.

So he's filming some cop handcuffing some guy, and the TSA worker says sir you need to stop filming, his response:
    "Get the f--k away from me"
    she said excuse me, and he repeated his statement.
    I didn't see any touching, it did show her holding her hands up, saying she's not touching him, at which point he makes a threat that if she touches him, he will throw her down on the ground.

I've been called a cop hater on other threads, and TSA security is in general worse than the police.

But in this case, the guy filming was the one with the problem.

Maybe he had a right to be fliming, but she never arrested him, or threatened him with arrest, and I saw no "assault", just some pissed off camera man with a very bad attitude.

She had no authority to confront anyone taking video inside let alone outside the Terminal. The TSA rules forbid that! She pushed me several times making physical contact. The police were there and saw it, plus there is outside video too under control of the airport authority. She is luck that the police was there to stop her or I would have thrown the woman down the stairs to get her off of me.
    edited November -1
    You don't need authority to confront someone, you need balls/a spine/stupidity.

If I saw you doing something I didn't like, I could confront you if I wanted to.

Confrontation is not illegal - violent confrontation is.
    I didn't see anything violent in the video you took, I only heard statements threatening violence against her.

Personally in response to her telling you that you "needed" to stop filming, you should have said she had no right/authority to stop you.

If she touched you, of course, tell her that it is unacceptable, but I think your threat of shoving her down stairs or something like that was uncalled for.

What I saw was an angry man talking tough, while backing away.

I think it would have been better to respond to her statements that she doesn't have the authority to stop you, and stand your ground, and do your best to ignore her while continuing to film what ever it was you were hoping to film.

If all she was doing was tapping you on the shoulder while asking you to stop filming - who cares.

If she tried to grab the camera, it would have showed on video.

From what I saw, she never tried to restrain you, she never threatened arrest, she did not attempt to escalate it to violence.

Far better behavior than some cops....
  • Horney toadHorney toad Member Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should have given her a banana to calm her down.
    edited November -1
    This TSA woman nor anybody has the right to boss anyone around without authority of law. She is precluded from confronting photographers by the TSA regulations. I knew that when she got in my face and began pushing, grabbing at my camera and perusing me. She has no authority to put her hands on me.

When the camera is pointed away from her she's trying to grab it. You heard me order her to take her hands off of me. That's was because she was manhandling me. I did not react to her words alone here. I don't care that my camera was in front of and not aimed at her hands when she was pushing me. Her hands were on my chest behind the camera.

There is the video in possession of the airport authority too. That is not posted here.

Feel free to write the TSA on this woman's behalf. Maybe you can donate some money so she can hire a lawyer to save her job. She is lucky I did not punch her lights out. She deserved much worse then she is getting.
  • wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    I have to confess I didn't watch the video, now that I have watched the video I have to agree with CA sucks that you should have told her that she was not legally allowed to tell you to stop filming, not just told her to leave you the f--- alone. Sometimes you can avoid a confrontation by being nice to people until they give you a reason not to be nice. After telling her she had no authority to make you stop filming if she continued on you should have told her to get away from you. After you warned her once not to place her hands on you and she did anyways you should have defended yourself. Pushing her down the stairs is not defending yourself, putting her in a wristlock and on the ground is defending yourself. And anytime a confrontation like this occurs ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS file charges.
    edited November -1
    After you warned her once not to place her hands on you and she did anyways you should have defended yourself. Pushing her down the stairs is not defending yourself, putting her in a wristlock and on the ground is defending yourself.
    I agree, and I should note, from what I can see, she did not continue to put her hands on him, so it seems words were enough.

As to Defender's comments, I'm not going to defend someone who is trying to stop documentation of police activities - that can lead to greater police tyranny.

But I am also not going to jump on the (semi-racist perhaps?) bandwagon of "you should have beat down that Ghetto trash TSA rent-a-cop and sue her and the TSA and press charges for assault and the world is going to hell"

There was no violence, threat of violence, or invocation of authority/threat of arrest.

You were the first to break from civility, you were the first to threaten violence.

I am not going to sit back and place all the blame on the "ghetto" TSA rentacop.
    Yes, she told you to stop filming, and had no authority to do so.
    You are a big boy, you should know how to "use your words", this could have turned out much better.

Scenario #1:
    TSA: "You need to stop filming, sir"
    You: "why?"
    *discussion ensues about TSA authority and regulation*

Scenario #2:

TSA: "You need to stop filming, sir"
    You: "F*@#$ off!"
    *confrontation ensues in which you threaten violence*
    edited November -1
    She got that sharp rebuff from me because she charged at me from my left. I was not watching her and her attack was a rude suprise. I am not required to kiss TSA worker's * when they are way out-of-line.

She made her bed now she can lie in it. Again she could have been required to post bail and get a well deserved criminal record for the rest of her life. Her initial and continued aggression was dead wrong. By the way she is about 6'1" tall.

She will have to answer to the TSA for her actions. If I learn what they do to her I will do a follow-up story and post it here.
    edited November -1
    Things don't go to well when the shoe is on the other foot...
    The TSA loves to destry those who dare resist them.

AirTran pilot fined for assault at Va. airportPilot charged with assault for reportedly grabbing TSA screener's hand
    By The Associated Press
    Updated: 12-4-2009 9:42 am
    NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (AP) - An AirTran pilot must pay a $100 fine after being convicted of assaulting a federal security screener at Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport in July.

Michael Wayne Karnath of Beaufort, S.C., was accused of grabbing Transportation Security Administration screener Shonica L. Bell's hand after he put items onto a plastic tray to go into an X-ray machine.

The 57-year-old Karnath denied the charge during testimony Wednesday.

General District Court Judge Gary Mills said he initially planned to dismiss the misdemeanor assault charge. But after hearing Karnath's testimony, he convicted the pilot.

Mills said Karnath was "very combative."

Karnath and his attorney, Douglas Walter, said they might appeal.

Information from: Daily Press, http://www.dailypress.com
    edited November -1
    Is defending the First Amendment not worthy to some here?

California has no laws prohibiting photography at airports. Permits are required for commercial film projects. News gathering photography is also protected by the First Amendment.

TSA Regulations RE: Photography.
    2.7. PHOTOGRAPHING, VIDEOTAPING, AND FILMING SCREENING LOCATIONS

A. TSA does not prohibit the public, passengers, or press from photographing, videotaping, or filming screening locations unless the activity interferes with a TSO's ability to perform his or her duties or prevents the orderly flow of individuals through the screening location. Requests by commercial entities to photograph an airport screening location must be forwarded to TSA's Office of Strategic Communications and Public Affairs. Photographing EDS or ETD monitor screens or emitted images is not permitted.

B. TSA must not confiscate or destroy the photographic equipment or film of any person photographing the screening location.

C. Whenever possible, x-ray machine images must not be visible to the public or press. When physical constraints prevent x-ray images from being fully protected from public viewing, TSOs must ensure no member of the public or press is in a position to observe an x-ray monitor for an extended period of time.

Passengers and other unauthorized individuals must not be allowed to view EDS or ETD monitors and screens.

D. In addition to this policy, local laws, State statutes, or local ordinances may prohibit photographing, videotaping, or filming screening locations. TSA management must ensure that TSOs are familiar with these State or local laws. However, State and local authorities must enforce such laws. TSOs must alert an LEO to individuals who may be violating these State or local laws, but must not confront these individuals.
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    See if you can find a copy of the TSA Manual - it clearly states what they can do.

It resembles the text allready posted though.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It appeared to me the altercation started when she put her hand on Defender's camera lens. I don't know what Defender paid for his camera, but I'd bet it was a lot more than I paid for mine, and what I paid for mine is enough to earn you a fat lip if you mess with it.

I'd be willing to look over some of the TSA ignorance and arrogance if they were accomplishing anything. They are simply a waste of several billion dollars. I know by today's standards a few billion dollars is a drop in the bucket, but as Mister Dirksen said years ago, "take a million dollars here and a million dollars there and pretty soon you're talking about a lot of money".

If this woman has been on the job long enough to be allowed to deal with the public without supervision she needs to know her responsibilities and her authority. At a minimum, she needs to go through training again.

Edited to correct spelling of "hand".
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
    edited November -1
    Wow, this from the crowd that placed blame on a civilian parking in a public parking lot, when a cop threatened to arrest him, destroy his tapes, tear up his car, and make up any charge he wanted to, because after this civilian was asked for ID, he responded to the officer something like "Is there a problem, because I *can* park here"
    The police officer said he was a "suspicious vehicle", which the civilian didn't buy - all he did was park in the parking lot.

Somehow telling a cop that you are allowed to park somewhere is "asking for it", but telling the TSA to F*@# off is fine, and the problem is the "ghetto" TSA "rent a cop" who did not make any threats of abusing authority.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    I have to confess I didn't watch the video, now that I have watched the video I have to agree with CA sucks that you should have told her that she was not legally allowed to tell you to stop filming, not just told her to leave you the f--- alone. Sometimes you can avoid a confrontation by being nice to people until they give you a reason not to be nice.You're apparently forgetting that he makes his living gathering evidence for lawyers. [;)]
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes you can avoid a confrontation by being nice to people until they give you a reason not to be nice.
    Had I been involved any pretense of being nice would have bit the dust as soon as she touched my camera lens. I count that as being a reason not to be nice.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.