In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Brick & Mortar Businesses Disappearing !

serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2017 in General Discussion
No more buildings just A.I. Robot factories with distributing centers like Amazon. No employees to mess with ever again! The New America! Of course construction jobs with hospitality service will need a little more time for the robots to compete with.[:D]

serf

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/31/retail-bankruptcies-march-toward-post-recession-high.html?__source=newsletter|eveningbrief

The number of retailers filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection is headed toward its highest annual tally since the Great Recession.

Nine retailers have filed in just the first three months of 2017, according to data provided exclusively to CNBC from AlixPartners consulting firm. That equals the number for all of 2016. It also puts the industry on pace for the highest number of such filings since 2009, when 18 retailers resorted to that action.

The rising number of retail bankruptcies comes as consumers are making more purchases online, and shifting their spending toward travel and other experiences. Meanwhile, the supply of physical stores continues to outweigh shopper demand, putting pressure on the industry's profits.

Comments

• Options
    AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    AlixPartners is where I work at. Just finished the bankruptcy for a retailer too.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sad but progress ? moves on
    I remember as a kid going to local stores ( as most everyone )in our small town
    the 5&10 to the hardware store all with wood floors some even with a 2nd floor a little bit of everything on the shelf's nuts bolts , toys to guns ,lawnmowers and all in-between . most everyone knew each other by first name , and would be glad to order something no way they could stock it all .
    kids now will never have the experience walking into a "fancy [:D][:D]" air conditioned store with a huge candy display wow that was a treat for us poor kids Christmas was a event all the toys all the decorations and friendly people just like a old movie [^]

time has marched on and I am guilty [:(]as I also like to order on line ( no tax [}:)] ) no shopping and travel time get what you want delivered right to your door .
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ditch-Runner
    sad but progress ? moves on
    I remember as a kid going to local stores ( as most everyone )in our small town
    the 5&10 to the hardware store all with wood floors some even with a 2nd floor a little bit of everything on the shelf's nuts bolts , toys to guns ,lawnmowers and all in-between . most everyone knew each other by first name , and would be glad to order something no way they could stock it all .
    kids now will never have the experience walking into a "fancy [:D][:D]" air conditioned store with a huge candy display wow that was a treat for us poor kids Christmas was a event all the toys all the decorations and friendly people just like a old movie [^]

time has marched on and I am guilty [:(]as I also like to order on line ( no tax [}:)] ) no shopping and travel time get what you want delivered right to your door .
    And in most cases I can get exactly what I want or close to it instead of something that might work.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been saying all along state and local GOVERNMENT in many but not all jurisdictions are the greatest destroyers of brick and mortar stores, strip malls and even small business.

When business property and even the utilities serving them are taxed at a much higher rate, plus add in licenses, fees, privilege fees, even luxury or special taxes on certain items, plus local code compliance, local mandates, and regulations.

One city I know of has upped its "privilege fee" from $45 a year to $800. DEMOCRATS created this privilege fee for the "privilege" of having a store in the city limits. Several shops have shutdown or left within months of implementation of the fees.

Government itself, with its regulations, mandates on wages and micromanagement of labor are principle reasons for robotics.