In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Time to throw out your cookware!!

gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
edited January 2006 in General Discussion
I learned about this some time ago and only use stainless steel cookware now. Just thought I would pass it on. If you dont believe the article, look at all the warnings on the reverse side of a T-Fal pan.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060131/ap_on_he_me/epa_teflon

Comments

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,381 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    We pretty much use cast iron around this place.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife saw something about this on the news yesterday or Sunday. I had to take her to town in a panic to buy a bunch of Teflon cookware. She is convinced they are going to take it off the market. I guess we have enough to last a while now.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love the cast iron.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    I'd love to live a hundred years from now and see which of these myths were true and which were false myths![:D][:D][:D]
    BEST1.jpg
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good thing the microwave isn't teflon coated, I'd be screwed.
  • Options
    WinM70WinM70 Member Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use only cast iron in the home and even have all I need for camping that stays packed ready to loadup for the weekend outing.
    When we return wash em, apply a very light coat of oil and pack away.
  • Options
    tysonagreentysonagreen Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You really can't pay too much attention to a report of something causing cancer. Everything causes cancer now-a-days. I think it would be easier to just tell us what they want us to buy, or I mean what is "safe" to use.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Never used teflon! I will stick with my lead lined cookware![B)]
  • Options
    kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    We have a kitchen filled with pots and pans but I never touch them [}:)] so I'll have to ask Mrs. K what type of cookware she uses. It appears we are safe: Stainless steel with copper clad bottoms.
  • Options
    bigride203bigride203 Member Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How does this affect my rubbers?
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If this is true to form of other "This is going to make all your babies be born naked" panic driven studies, it will be determined that, yes, Teflon frying pans will give you cancer- if you eat 385 frying pans a day for 10 years. By the way, the issue is in the MANUFACTURE of Teflon- not Teflon as a finished product. The process of making a chromed bumper is toxic as hell- so I guess I better get a wrench and go unbolt my bumpers before they make me sick. 'Scuse me- anybody seen my vise grips ?
  • Options
    gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    The issue is the vapors released from the teflon when you cook with it. Again, read the label of a Tfal pan at the store and it will tell you it emits vapors that are toxic. Why would they condemn their own product if it wasnt true???quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    If this is true to form of other "This is going to make all your babies be born naked" panic driven studies, it will be determined that, yes, Teflon frying pans will give you cancer- if you eat 385 frying pans a day for 10 years. By the way, the issue is in the MANUFACTURE of Teflon- not Teflon as a finished product. The process of making a chromed bumper is toxic as hell- so I guess I better get a wrench and go unbolt my bumpers before they make me sick. 'Scuse me- anybody seen my vise grips ?
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zipperzap
    I'd love to live a hundred years from now and see which of these myths were true and which were false myths![:D][:D][:D]
    BEST1.jpg

My theory is somewhere along the line they will discover cancer is hereditary in white mice.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.