In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I take this as a personal insult

JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
edited June 2016 in General Discussion
Mitch McConnell said about Donald Trump "He won the nomination fair and square. He went out there and competed like everybody else. He got the most votes, and I think it's disrespectful of the Republican electorate to say I'm smarter than you are and I'm not going to support your choice."

For all practical purposes I consider myself part of the Republican electorate. The only Democrat I've voted for in my life was Virgil Goode. I voted for him as a Democrat and again as an Independent and again as a Republican.

Where does Mitch McConnell get the idea I owe Donald Trump, Mitch McConnell or any other lowlife politician respect? Saying I disrespect Donald Trump, and now Mitch McConnell, is one of the nicest things I can say about them. I don't owe my allegiance or respect to any politician.

Trump almost won my vote when he released his list of prospective Supreme Court Justice Nominees and said his nominee would come from that list. I was in the Trump column for almost a full day. As with almost everything trump says, he unsaid it the next day. Now he says his nominee will be "like" the people on his list. Who the hell knows what it will be tomorrow.

By the way, McConnell is right. I do disrespect Donald Trump.
The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Jim, I think you've got his meaning confused.

He (appears to me) to be speaking to the Republican hierarchy that is withholding support (Cruz, Rubio, etc.) from Trump.
    The Electorate has endorsed Trump by voting for him.
    All Republicans need to fall in line.
  • Options
    Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mitch is trying to be the leader of a fractured party. I'm afraid he and many others in the GOP "power structure" fail to understand why so many voters are supporting Trump.

Unless they soon figure out that many of us view "the system" as a broken mess and start working to cure the problem it's likely to get much worse before it gets any better.

I believe Hillary would be a total disaster for the country, but I'm afraid Trump won't be good for use either.

Early in the campaign cycle I was hoping Hillary would get indicted/implicated/whatever and that Trump would have a grand "melt-down" and everybody would take a deep breath and find some serious candidates.

Hasn't happened.[:(]

I also kept hoping that the mass media would figure out how far they've got their heads up a dark place and start reporting instead of creating the news.

[:(!][:(!][:(!]That isn't happening either.

We're gonna need seat belts and snorkels before long -- things are going to get messy with all the mud that's gonna fly[V]

And what are we going to get for the millions of dollars that will be spent on the campaign?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking

He (appears to me) to be speaking to the Republican hierarchy that is withholding support (Cruz, Rubio, etc.) from Trump.
    I could accept that except for the fact he specified "I think it's disrespectful of the Republican electorate". If McConnell meant what you think he meant, I really am smarter than they are. [:D]
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know why Trump would go to the trouble of assemblying such a list if he had no intention of using it.

People said they wanted to know what type of judge he would nominate, and he put out a pretty big list showing the types of judges he would pick

As to why he said he might pick outside the list, there are pretty good reasons why...not all judges want the SCOTUS nomination. Maybe they prefer to sit on a circuit court of appeals.....hell, something as simple as one or two of them dying before Trump could nominate them is a reason to say you are willing to look outside the list.

There are plenty of reasons to not like Trump without throwing out the conspiracy theory that he is going to 180 the second he wins and become the third Obama term.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

P3styling is correct. Having watched the interview, it is very clear that McConnell is speaking of a lack of respect towards the voters being shown by the party leaders when the voters have made the choice as presented to them in the primary process. Strange as it is to say it, I find myself in agreement with McConnell in this instance.

That said, I also believe you and every other voter has the right to vote for or against any candidate for whatever reason, feeling, hunch, or roll of the dice you think best applies.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trump is smarter than anyone on this forum....Its Him are the other candidate...He is not showing his "Trump" card in the game of politics ...[:o)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dads3040
    P3styling is correct. Having watched the interview, it is very clear that McConnell is speaking of a lack of respect towards the voters being shown by the party leaders when the voters have made the choice as presented to them in the primary process. Strange as it is to say it, I find myself in agreement with McConnell in this instance.

That said, I also believe you and every other voter has the right to vote for or against any candidate for whatever reason, feeling, hunch, or roll of the dice you think best applies.
    If that's what he meant that's what he should have said. With the exception of my wife I go by what people say. I seldom try to figure out what they meant to say.

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2016/05/30/mcconnell-disrespectful-gop-electorate-republicans-not-back-trump/

The quote is about 3 minutes in.
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1

That's what I thought.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by droptop
    That's what I thought.
    If you watch the video you'll notice he addresses the Republican hierarchy later in the interview.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    if you can,t vote for trump, no problem. but don,t bit*h here about how bad things get when hillery gets elected. hillery will ruin any ones day who loves the second admendment. the first thing is to win the white house, with out that we gun owners will be toast. mr myopic.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you consider the alternative to Trump. There is no other choice.[8]
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dennisnielsen
    I will vote for Trump.

quote:Originally posted by wpageabc
    When you consider the alternative to Trump. There is no other choice.[8]

Yep, that's the bottom-line!
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wild Turkey
    Mitch is trying to be the leader of a fractured party.

All Mitch has done is capitulated to Obama's every whim and the only leading he has done is the Republican party down the toilet. Had he not been a progressive and fought Obama his party wouldn't be in such a mess, and the people so angry.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got to vote for someone you don't want to be president so the one you don't want to be president won't be elected president.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "All Republicans need to fall in line."

RIGHT THERE IS A BIG PART OF OUR PROBLEMS.
    The "parties" expect/demand that "their" followers vote for the candidate "they" (the party leaders) nominate.
    The election process has become a game of getting "our" candidate elected regardless of his/her actual qualifications for the position.
    Until we dump the "all for the party" mentalities and start choosing candidates that have some value to our country, nothing is going to improve.
  • Options
    john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    Trump is smarter than anyone on this forum....Its Him are the other candidate...He is not showing his "Trump" card in the game of politics ...[:o)]
    What he said. Doubled and redoubled. In spades.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The facts are:"Donald Trump is different".....he has no political agenda, and he calls out people that he don't like ....he is nasty and tough,like all successful businessmen....Trump gets up in the morning and puts his feelings on a clothes hanger as he goes out the door...Can a businessman run a country? I don't know,but am willing to try...can't get any worse.....in the business world,its winner take all![;)]
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    The facts are:"Donald Trump is different".....he has no political agenda, and he calls out people that he don't like ....he is nasty and tough,like all successful businessmen....Trump gets up in the morning and puts his feelings on a clothes hanger as he goes out the door...Can a businessman run a country? I don't know,but am willing to try...can't get any worse.....in the business world,its winner take all![;)]

"can't get any worse....."

Really ?

We're about to see.

Seriously, he is that naive?
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The establishment politicians never change, James. They felt the same way when they ran McCain and that other guy.
    What's next?
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    quote:Originally posted by Dads3040

If that's what he meant that's what he should have said. With the exception of my wife I go by what people say. I seldom try to figure out what they meant to say.

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2016/05/30/mcconnell-disrespectful-gop-electorate-republicans-not-back-trump/

The quote is about 3 minutes in.

)&(*^%%^ crooks talk like that. I have a more than a few choice words for them.
    What's next?
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I don't think these induhviduals have ever played hearts or spades or any other game that uses a Trump card. They just don't get it. and probably wont ever...
  • Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see no viable alternative to Trump at this point in time. I cannot bear the thought of Hitlery being prez [xx(]
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mitch McConnell said about Donald Trump "He won the nomination fair and square. He went out there and competed like everybody else. He got the most votes, and I think it's disrespectful of the Republican electorate to say I'm smarter than you are and I'm not going to support your choice."

For all practical purposes I consider myself part of the Republican electorate. The only Democrat I've voted for in my life was Virgil Goode. I voted for him as a Democrat and again as an Independent and again as a Republican.

Where does Mitch McConnell get the idea I owe Donald Trump, Mitch McConnell or any other lowlife politician respect? Saying I disrespect Donald Trump, and now Mitch McConnell, is one of the nicest things I can say about them. I don't owe my allegiance or respect to any politician.

Trump almost won my vote when he released his list of prospective Supreme Court Justice Nominees and said his nominee would come from that list. I was in the Trump column for almost a full day. As with almost everything trump says, he unsaid it the next day. Now he says his nominee will be "like" the people on his list. Who the hell knows what it will be tomorrow.

By the way, McConnell is right. I do disrespect Donald Trump.

Hillary Clinton is grateful and thanks you for your support

Never in the history of US elections has there been a person so necessary to vote against but hey, its your right to help Hillary. That will show republicans.
    Hope you like Australian gun laws cause you are in support of them coming here
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There is a fair chance, probably better than even, that I'll vote for Trump simply because I believe the great damage he will do to my country will be much less than the total devastation Hillary Rodham Clinton will bring.

My point in the original post wasn't about Trump. My point was I don't think it's "smart" to insult the people you're trying to win over to your side. That's not one of the methods Dale Carnegie mentioned in How to Win Friends and Influence People.

IF I vote for Trump, I'll do it knowing I'm voting for a man with some serious personality problems; personality problems that psychiatrists study in medical school. I don't think Trump is a true bully. I think Trump tries to play the bully to cover his more serious flaws.

I don't hold anyone at fault for seeing Trump for what he is and just can't stomach him.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******
    edited November -1

I could accept that except for the fact he specified "I think it's disrespectful of the Republican electorate". If McConnell meant what you think he meant, I really am smarter than they are. [:D]

Not a very high hurdle. It's like lapping a 2 year old in the kiddie pool.[:D]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure I don't like everything Trump does and says. But at least he's showing it now. In most cases we don't know these things we wouldn't like in other politicians.
    It's just not possible for me to risk having Hillary, or any Democrap as President. It's not what the President will try to pass into law, it's not even necessary for him/her to pass anything. It's the fact that they can and will load the Supreme Court with liberal/commie/dumbbuzzards that will totally screw the whole country forever.
    These SOBs like Romney that seem to be hell bent on running a third party candidate are traitorous scum and I hope they burn in hell if they cause a Demoncrat presidency.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i consider BOTH parties dead in the water with multiple compound fractures and have gushed lies and deceit for years...SCREW THEM and their self enrichment...i'll gladly take a chance on someone else...
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spasmcreek
    i consider BOTH parties dead in the water with multiple compound fractures and have gushed lies and deceit for years...SCREW THEM and their self enrichment...i'll gladly take a chance on someone else...

Hillary thanks you for your vote.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun

LOL!
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the context of the quote, it is my guess that McConnell meant 'disrespectful to the Republican electorate' rather than 'disrespectful of the Republican electorate'. But what to I know? I can't understand half of what that mealy mouthed windbag says anyway.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a fair chance, probably better than even, that I'll vote for Trump simply because I believe the great damage he will do to my country will be much less than the total devastation Hillary Rodham Clinton will bring.

My point in the original post wasn't about Trump. My point was I don't think it's "smart" to insult the people you're trying to win over to your side. That's not one of the methods Dale Carnegie mentioned in How to Win Friends and Influence People.

IF I vote for Trump, I'll do it knowing I'm voting for a man with some serious personality problems; personality problems that psychiatrists study in medical school. I don't think Trump is a true bully. I think Trump tries to play the bully to cover his more serious flaws.

I don't hold anyone at fault for seeing Trump for what he is and just can't stomach him.

Yup, that pretty well sums it up for me as well.

This is about avoiding the iceberg we know will sink the Titanic not a guarantee our new captain won't run into a different obstacle.

I just think sure destruction by Hillary is "trumped" by the possibility Trump won't screw it up

It certainly can't be worse than 100% no chance no how we are forever gone
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mitch is a paid off bich.
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sure won't support any democrap like Hillary or Bernie or any other democrap
  • Options
    medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I may, I would like to pose a couple of thoughts and a question to the group.

Thoughts
    Hillary has a very high probability of winning no matter what and the reasons are multifaceted
    1. The Dems have always voted lock step regardless of who runs when you get national
    2. The DOJ will not indict her on anything...the FBI can gnash teeth and pull hair out but the AG will not do anything to her
    3. There are many women who will vote for her simply because they feel it is time for a female president
    4. The youth will vote Dem because they are indoctrinated in colleges and they are the party of "we are going to give you free things"
    5. The minorities will overwhelmingly vote Dem...again they are promised all sorts of "free" things
    6. The middle aged conservative group is vastly outnumbered by the youth, minority and hippy generation (and I do like some hippies)...we are dying out and they keep reproducing

Let me preface the question with a statement:
    Trump is not my ideal candidate. At this point, Trump will get my vote as he is the lesser of the evils that are on the stage.

Now...many have said to others here that support 3rd party candidates that they are not to bit*h and moan when Hillary is elected and goes after firearms. Will we all willingly eat crow as well if Trump gets in there and gives in to the left and passes bans on certain firearms or magazines?

I know for a fact that I will have to because I supported him. Just like I did with Reagan and his gun control moves.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun

So does Trump.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by medic07
    If I may, I would like to pose a couple of thoughts and a question to the group.

Thoughts
    Hillary has a very high probability of winning no matter what and the reasons are multifaceted
    1. The Dems have always voted lock step regardless of who runs when you get national
    2. The DOJ will not indict her on anything...the FBI can gnash teeth and pull hair out but the AG will not do anything to her
    3. There are many women who will vote for her simply because they feel it is time for a female president
    4. The youth will vote Dem because they are indoctrinated in colleges and they are the party of "we are going to give you free things"
    5. The minorities will overwhelmingly vote Dem...again they are promised all sorts of "free" things
    6. The middle aged conservative group is vastly outnumbered by the youth, minority and hippy generation (and I do like some hippies)...we are dying out and they keep reproducing

Let me preface the question with a statement:
    Trump is not my ideal candidate. At this point, Trump will get my vote as he is the lesser of the evils that are on the stage.

Now...many have said to others here that support 3rd party candidates that they are not to bit*h and moan when Hillary is elected and goes after firearms. Will we all willingly eat crow as well if Trump gets in there and gives in to the left and passes bans on certain firearms or magazines?

I know for a fact that I will have to because I supported him. Just like I did with Reagan and his gun control moves.

My answer - yes. Hell, at this point what else is there to do? Gun owners will just have to keep after him to not better deal us.

I would add to that by saying any gun owner who votes for Clinton (or Sanders) forfeits their right to b*tch and moan in public about gun laws, to complain about SCOTUS nominees and executive actions and AW laws and in general the harassing treatment of gun owners for a damn long time. In fact, I'd like a mandate that any post on a gun rights forum requires a "who'd you vote for?" qualifier and if it's Clinton a "Quit yer b*tchin'" sign pops up. I'm just a tad worn out on the "proud gun owner" folks who are that way only at the keyboard.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    James, at different times I have set in on, and taken part in, conversations with a few congressmen, a couple of senators a sitting governor and countless state and county elected personnel. I can, without a doubt, promise they are not smarter than you.

I remember expecting to be very impressed and ready to be so, only to have to acknowledge the truth. Believe me, you are as smart as any of them and smarter than most. Not that every one of them were idiots, some of them were pretty sharp, some more were very polished, but none of them were any smarter than others sitting in the room.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I second Scouts notion about the average politicans intelligence. A lifetime of working in state government has proven to me that they are no smarter then anyone else .What they do have is an overwhelming sense of ego ,which they mistake for brains .Yes a vote for anyone ,other than Trump guarantees Hilary in the White House
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trump basically is a third party candidate....he just managed to win within an existing parties framework.

The Republican establishment hates him....they didn't want him to be the nominee. They wanted Rubio or Kasish....anyone but Trump.

Hell, the big fear about Trump prior to him actually winning was that he would launch an actual third party campaign in the general election.

All of you people clamoring for a third party, I am terribly sorry that the candidate that managed to take down a party apparatus during a primary campaign isn't the candidate you were hoping for.