In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

anybody feeling the same?

young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2005 in General Discussion
Does this quickly deteriortating situation in NO have anybody elses paranoia pucker factor in overdrive?...It sure has mine and IM out in CO,........I just think of it as ripples on the surface of a pond......and Katrina was one hell of a rock.....im getting off early.....im short of .40 ammo.

imay not know it all.....but at least I know that!

Comments

• Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Can't say about the paranoid factor, people around her are still pretty cool, except for the fact that the traffic at the gaspumps is unusually heavy. Most of the scuttle-butt is about the price of winter fuel for the people who use fuel instead of natural gas, locally generated, or some other form of heating.
    Seems like a good time to hit Mike up for a fireplace, how 'bout you?

If at first you don't succeed, don't try sky-diving....
  • The TinmanThe Tinman Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The sky is falling----better lock-n-load!! At least that's what the neocons would like you to think!!
  • jdyerjdyer Member Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stop it I say - you just gotta stop it. You got me want'n to kill again. Havn't had these kill'n feelings since Y2K. You ruined in minutes what the docs have been working to cure for years!

deer-running.gif
  • jdyerjdyer Member Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FCD - Do you have to vent a pellet stove? Any extras to buy or install or just push it in the fireplace hole? Never heard of one but sounds neat.
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Mike's ex has a pellet stove, and keeps her front door open most of the winter. Somehow, it seems counter-productive...?

If at first you don't succeed, don't try sky-diving....
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I understand the pellet stoves are not as cost effective as propane. You need to amortise the stove cost into the total heat cost. The cost per BTU is still higher than gas. Free fire wood burned in a outdoor furnace is actually more cost effective.

The biggest difference is the immediate warmth from the pellet stove, nothing eases winter pains like heat from a stove or open fire. I really miss a fire in the winter, makes ole' arty take a break for a while.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are telling us that energy costs here in NM will rise 64% this winter. The cost of both gas and electric is going up.
  • Wild OkieWild Okie Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Typical liberal response .quote:Originally posted by The Tinman
    The sky is falling----better lock-n-load!! At least that's what the neocons would like you to think!!

MLMorgan
  • young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Wild Okie
    Typical liberal response .quote:Originally posted by The Tinman

MLMorgan

that was my thought

• WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well here in Pensacola people are freaking out. It is not possible to buy a gas can in this town, gas at the pumps has jumped thirty cents since this morning and that was the last time I was out. Fuel in Atlanta is $6.00 a GALLON. People are freaking out, the grocery stores are packed, the sporting good stores are packed, traffic is unusually heavy. I'll wait until nightfall, travel by Yak and quietly make my way to Cascadia where all will be peaceful, after the revolution that is.

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news.

-- A. J. Liebling
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I should have never gave Tools my other pig.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy Just checking in
    edited November -1
    I put this back up as the situation gets worse to see your guys's perspectives

edited November -1
    or not

• kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    I don't worry about anything, but I do need to get a decent first aid kit built up, that'd be helpful in bad situations. I fear no looters or other sheetheads, that's a controllable situation, injuries and such are more difficult to control

Love them Beavers
    info_EB.gif
  • Papa GizmoPapa Gizmo Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Start days tomorrow... may start keeping my EMT bag in the truck from now on... glad you mentioned first aid kits! Thanks,

Enjoy Today!

PG
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was hearing a bunch of sirens this morning, got me kinda parenoid.

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    yup, just ordered about 600 rounds of ammo the other day, and I'm starting to think about getting a bug out bag together.

sniper.gifhappy.gifanim_sniper.gif

"I will no longer debate a liberal because I feel they are beneath contempt. Just communicating with one contaminates a person." - whiteclouder
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    Geez, I hope Manitowoc, Wi Pop. 33k+/- doesn't get overrun by Katrina evacuees! I bet the Hmongs would run 'em all outta town!
    No, no pucker factor increase here, BUT, I'm glad I don't live in an area where the NOLA situation COULD have the effect it MAY have!
    iS THE SKY FALLING? 'Prolly not, but, before all is said-n-done I'll bet some folks are gonna wanna relocate WILLINGLY!
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,306 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Well the "bug out bag" is something I've been going to do for 20 years. I always have all the stuff, it's just kinda stored helter-skelter. As for being prepared, that's just the way I was raised. Not prepared for anything in particular, just being preapred to live and always be able to take care of myself. I have always lived in the country, no interest in the big city thing. Ever notice the problems seem to be in big cities? I am 1000% confidient I can provide for myself and my family, don't need the governments"help"

Aberdeen.gif
    81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nope with this type of weather for 6+ months dont think them folks from down there would deal with this very good 30 below zero temps.. coldest i have seen on my thermometer is 38 below then factor wind in you can end up with 80-100 below zero wind chill factors....thinking we'll be allright up here[;)]
    141122482rIFMYV_ph.jpg
  • TexasVetTexasVet Member Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You know, I was thinking about a pellet stove the other day... and wondered why couldn't a stove be made to run off corn dust as fuel?

I heard once that the dust in grain elevators made them subject to explode, and if spontaneous combustion can occur, why couldn't corn dust be made into a fuel for a stove by using a starter flame and air pressure, or maybe even be used in a car???
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wish I hadn't sold my boat.

MCsig01.jpg
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TexasVet, you might make it work. You could have a good invention there, but I would be afraid of it for the reasons you mention. Spontaneous combustion and explosion.

MCsig01.jpg
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.