In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savages! Need Advice!

slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
edited December 2007 in General Discussion
I just got my property tax bill in today, they raised my property value from $440k to $490k! With the housing market the way that it is, and the fact that I live in the highest taxed strate/county in the country, how can they sleep at night screwing people even more?

It looks like the assessment is going from $350k to $494k. What a bunch of crooks!

There is an "appeal" process - how successful are those?

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you should appeal. Some of these places are using electronic value calculators that are not relating to what is actually going on around you. If you appeal, you should get a real person to come and * the value of the property.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Done the same here I did not win my appeal
  • Options
    Civil RightsCivil Rights Member Posts: 440 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the government needs to find ways to pay for their pet pork projects to gain reelection and give jobs to friends and family members. just pay your taxes and stop crying. this is your new america :)
  • Options
    bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    Had same thing happen to myself and my parents last year. We appealed, had our hearings, gave our reasons why the property did not increase in value, they listened, and in the end stuck to the exact same increased apprasial.
  • Options
    IAMAHUSKERIAMAHUSKER Member Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Appeal it and if they do not do anything about it...SELL. There are some laws that say they have to buy it at the assessed value. If that is the case you will find the appeals process to go very very well!!
  • Options
    bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by IAMAHUSKER
    There are some laws that say they have to buy it at the assessed value.

Who has to buy it at the assessed value, the county?
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    APPEAL!

Bring FACTS for similar property that sold in the last 5 years....to show the cycle.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i think that in the coming years regardless of who is in office the property taxpayer is going to be screwed by all the irresponsible spending that has glutted our fed, state & local govt...especially if economy takes a downturn...we are sending our jobs, money, debt & purchasing outside the USA & sometime it will all come due, BUT NOT ON THOSE WHO INCURRED THIS MESS..& we keep voting them in to do more!!....now that my farming days are about finished my plan is to sell off the land & spend the money on me( as best i can - capital gains))... sales tax on purchases gets us all...one of my landlord fought a double size tax bill on an identical 160 with 20+ years of production $$ records that showed = value & state just pizzzzed his hearing off with BS so he was just SOL
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    I would move out of this cursed area in a heartbeat! If someone can just point me to a good IT job in a better place..... Perhaps NC?
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Appealed and got property value knocked down. Brought out bad points
    and had comps. If you know a R.E agent get comps to support your claims.
    Good luck.
    In this area two years ago, nothing was for sale except new construction. After the last assessment it seems like everything is now.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Appeal it, I was not successful although I proved all my points, BUT still was denied![:(!] Good luck,,nambu
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will be appealing my property tax bill also for next year.
    Doesn't sound too positive,.......I will do it regardless.[;)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slipgate
    I just got my property tax bill in today, they raised my property value from $440k to $490k! With the housing market the way that it is, and the fact that I live in the highest taxed strate/county in the country, how can they sleep at night screwing people even more?

It looks like the assessment is going from $350k to $494k. What a bunch of crooks!

There is an "appeal" process - how successful are those?

You should do whatever makes you feel better. You can appeal, and you might even win. In the end you are just pissing into the wind. The sad truth is the tax man will get his pound of flesh.

We get reassessed from time to time and I don't remember it ever going down or staying the same. A few years ago we had a huge reassessment and everyone in the county was up in arms. I don't remember what the percentages were, but enough appealed the assessments that it completely overwhelmed the county. The county simply cancelled the assessments, went back to the old values and raised the tax rate. We wound up paying slightly more than we would have if we just accepted the new bills.

It wasn't an election year, so all the county supervisors got reelected.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.