In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Farmer protects animals with orange paint

bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
edited November 2005 in General Discussion
http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2005-11-29-painted-animals_x.htm?csp=34

Farmer protects animals with orange paint

LOGANTON, Pa. (AP) - With deer hunters out all over the woods, a farmer has decided to paint his cows, horses and even his dog bright orange to make sure they aren't mistaken for deer.
Friz Konieczka doesn't want to take any chances because he heard about a neighbor's horse being shot during hunting season several years ago.

Konieczka, a Clinton County farmer, wants his animals to stand out - and they do. Fluorescent orange paint lines their backs and sides. (Related video: Animals painted for protection)

Konieczka said he'd rather spend $5 for a can of orange paint than have one of his animals killed or injured.

He painted his horses, his cows, his goats, his turkeys and even his Dalmatian, Buddy.

MOLON LABE!
allahSortbs.jpg
An evil tree bears evil fruit. You can destroy as much fruit as you want, but it will always grow back, and it will always be evil.

Tear the tree out of the ground by the roots and burn it. Burn it to ash and grind out the embers with your boot until there's nothing left. Not a single spark. Not a single seed.

Comments

• Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    my friend has a Saint Bernard thats about the same size as a deer in our area. I brought him a can of orange hair dye from halloweeen. He thougt it was hillarious

Messenger Boy: The Thesselonian you're fighting... he's the biggest man i've ever seen. I wouldn't want to fight him.
    Achilles: Thats why no-one will remember your name.
  • Options
    jnmiller75jnmiller75 Member Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably not a bad idea.

I know several ranchers back home that have had cattle shot before. One had even been shot with an arrow.

Now this next story, I don't know if I belive it or not, but it sure sounds funny. One of those friend of a friend stories. Anyway, supposedly one of the guys he knows was elk hunting, and one night when he returned to camp, someone was field dressing his pack mule. Thought it was an elk, even after he had shot it.[:D]
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If someone is ignorant enough to shoot a cow, a little orange plaint is not going to help. Stupid is stupid.

My grandfather used to raise sheep in the pasture. Behind the 200 acres of pasture there is railroad tracks and someone else's wooded property towards the river. There was also a cabin in the woods behind the railroad tracks.

He would let the hunters drive throught the pasture to get to the cabin. The pasture went back 3/4 mile from the road. Every now and then the hunters would take a lamb along with them to the cabin. My grandfather didn't find out about this until years later.

Hunters who shoot livestock know what they are doing. Maybe they're pissed at the farmer. Maybe they just want a 500 pound steer or a rack of lamb tonight.

Also, I don't care what anyone says. Deer don't the strands of barbed wire to climb through the fence. Hunters do.

And, in spite of what the DNR man says, Satanic ocultists do not kill calves. Coyotes do.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    quote:he painted "COW" on the side of each animal. That year, someone shot his tractor

Farmers around us in MI, back in '54&'55 used to always paint COW on their
    cows - it was a no brainer! My dad told me once that a farmer used to put a
    bright red hunter's hat on his favorite cow until he got an anonymous (probably
    from an irate hunter) note that told him to stop, or he'd 'drill his cow.' The hat
    came off!
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My neighbor out back has lost two cows to gunfire that I know about. One in the Summer. It don't take long for that to get expensive. When I lived in New Jersey several of the farmers wrote "COW" in large white block letters on the sides of their cattle.

I've already told this one on here, but I'll tell it again. When I went to the Virginia Hunter Safety Course in 1978 they had a Game Warden come in and tell us about how important it is to know the game you're hunting. He said he came up on a guy in the woods and asked him if he was having any luck. The man told him he hadn't had any luck lately, but he got a nice turkey that morning. The Game Warden asked if he could look at the turkey. The man said "sure" and took him to his car and opened the trunk. He said the man had the biggest, blackest, prettiest, buzzard he had ever seen, with a turkey tag on his leg. He said the fellow was so proud he just didn't "have the heart" to write him a ticket, so he just said "Nice Turkey". He said he wouldn't want to be around his house on Thanksgiving.

MCsig01.jpg
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    Wait till the folks at PETA find out!
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    quote:Game Warden come in and tell us about how important it is to know the game

I was out dove huntin one time when I was an ignorant lad ... with my
    girlfriend's father, 'Wild Bill McCurley' and his buddy, 'Red The Thief!'
    (Everybody called him Rett!) If you gave Rett a 30 minute head start
    he could scrounge anything for you ... as long as you didn't ask him
    where he got it!

Anyway, after we got back to camp Bill started to empty out his game
    bag and he had some - what looked like - skinned rabbits - head, tail,
    and feet cut off.

I thought that was kinda strange - for a dove hunt. Asked him what they
    were.

"Tree Rabbits, John, Tree Rabbits!"

I figured that in back Texas they had tree rabbits and he had found some, here,
    too! Didn't give it much thought.

Years later his daughter clued me in ... they were squirrels! Can't hunt gray squirrels
    in S. CA. DUH!
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife's uncle told me a story about when he was very young. His dad took him out hunting for the first time. It was squirle, rabbit or something. Anyway, his father had to go back to the truck and left him out in the pasturefor a while.

When the father returned he asked Cecil "Did you see anything"

The young son responded "Nothing but one jumpin Jersey Cow." It was a deer.

The moral is this story is clear. It's OK to shoot Jumping Jersey Cows as long as it is during "Jumping Jersey Cow" season.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never seen any White face, Black or Black/ White deer. But of course I don't drink while I hunt either [:)]
  • Options
    rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    get the flamethrowers out, BUT

I noticed that the good farmer is from PA.

around here, we have 'flatlanders, which are pghbrg/ohio/NJ hunters. accountants that roll in with the new trucks, saunter to our local taverns and try to pick up women, (who usually just laugh at them)and drink way too much.

Being in the woods every day for 8-12 hours, these are the guys that roadhunt ALL DAY LONG. In my nearly 42 years, i have yet to see a hitchhiking deer.

i actually heard this exchange a couple of years ago while getting "BOY" a vest so he could hunt with me......(they were at K-Mart, buying nonresident lisences)

FLATLANDER 1: "Hey....go get the beer...at least 4 cases.....I'm going to go Buy a 4 wheeler"

FLATLANDER 2: " ok, but hurry, I wanna get to Players early....gotta be some honey that's sick of these yokels around here.....Don't let me forget to call my old lady before we go....."

no kiddin...really happened. yup our women need another suspender wearing, bald fat accountant hitting on them...(hell they got us at home!)

The really big mistake these clowns are making is that while old, and local, most of us are large, and throw pipe for a living. i muttered 'dicks' under my breath to my ex, who was rolling her eyes as well. flatlander 2 spun around and looked directly into my adams apple like he was gonna whoop some hick *.....[:D] looked at his shoes, then at his buddy, and walked....

orange is a good idea when you get invaded by types like this.....wish i'd have thought of it......

Ask me about my 'Acme Flatlander Decoy hat, and my 'DO NOT SHOOT, I AM A MAN" VEST. loads of fun at the valley inn from tksgivin Friday on......[:D]

If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made tham out of meat!
  • Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    Dumb hunters shooting 'other species' is not that uncommon. I recall an "experienced out of state waterfowl hunter" in a resturant parking lot proudly showing off the ducks he had shot that AM. I glanced in his truck box, it was full if mud hens. All I could do was [:D][:D][:D][:D]] as I walked on silently.

Just no cure for stupid.

I'll be the one to ask. What is a "mud hen"?

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the supreme firepower to make the difference.
  • Options
    ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    Dumb hunters shooting 'other species' is not that uncommon. I recall an "experienced out of state waterfowl hunter" in a resturant parking lot proudly showing off the ducks he had shot that AM. I glanced in his truck box, it was full if mud hens. All I could do was [:D][:D][:D][:D]] as I walked on silently.

Just no cure for stupid.

I call your mud hens and raise you a criminal offense...

A guy was bragging up at the gas pump all the grouse he had shot. "I have a whole trunk full of them!" said he to the game warden. The game warden asked if he could see the birds, and the guy popped his trunk. It was full of meadow larks, the state bird.

Compare:

RuffedGrouse23.jpg

1092s.jpg

EDIT: Got the right species of grouse this time. [:)]
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by eastwood44mag

Just no cure for stupid.

I'll be the one to ask. What is a "mud hen"?
    O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the supreme firepower to make the difference.

They're the Toledo minor league baseball team. The Toledo Mud Hens. [;)] [:D]

MCsig01.jpg
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.