In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

EMT'S question

Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,567 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2015 in General Discussion
I live out side a small village ( they lost the town status several years ago not sure what decides that ? )
any way they have ask me a couple times to be a EMT not that I retired and home in the day they are really asking me , they will pay the class fees .
I have put it off as I have some lower back issues pain pills help and I started therapy to see if it helps that's why I have not committed .
they told me there is always others hat go along not trained in EMT so I would not be put in a position to get hurt ,
they told me 80 t0 90 % calls are local older ladies or men just get lonely and scared get worked up and call for help , they just need to calm them down most of the time and comfort them ,
I am ok as well as you can be with the sight of injuries although my experience is limited ,
my question to those who do this what is your thoughts ( I know its a 99% personal choice ) and OK with that but would appreciate your input thanks for putting up with the long post not sure how else to explain it ,
I did go thru some basic fire fighting training at work years ago as one of the first responders , and got familiar with the turn out gear and its use I know un related but I did like the feeling of being helpful if called on

Comments

• Options
    medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every area is different in the types of calls that you get dispatched on.

When I was still active as an EMT-I and doing VFD as well, the majority of our medical calls were for injuries (wrecks, farming accidents, falls). Very few that didn't require me to either move or assist with moving the patient from floor/bed/ground to gurney and then into the truck.

Lower back issues are very common in EMTs and Firefighters as we are always bending, reaching, lifting etc. If your calls are minimal and mostly comfort in nature you will be fine. With lower back problems, make sure you have lifting assistance.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    Going into it when not 100% sure of your physical ability is a risky idea. It wouldn't take much going wrong with all good plans and intentions to find yourself in the predicament of having to lift or move someone by yourself.

Before taking on the risk and responsibility, talk to your doctor about your back. Also talk to a lawyer about your risk exposure if a known back problem suddenly gets worse in the middle of a medical emergency.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Chris
    that's why I have been taking my time thinking it over . I know its selfish but I hate the thought of dong more or permanent damage to my back .
    when younger and in better shape I would not have given it a second thought , to help . but now the old saying look out for number 1 really hits home
    Like most if not all on here if I was to find myself where I had to help in a emergency I would jump right in buts that would not be a daily possibility .
    I told them I would make a decision after therapy if they can me back on track or not

quote:Originally posted by ChrisInTempe
    Going into it when not 100% sure of your physical ability is a risky idea. It wouldn't take much going wrong with all good plans and intentions to find yourself in the predicament of having to lift or move someone by yourself.

Before taking on the risk and responsibility, talk to your doctor about your back. Also talk to a lawyer about your risk exposure if a known back problem suddenly gets worse in the middle of a medical emergency.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no doubt those people mean well and have the best of intentions, but the sad fact is they don't know any more than you or I do about what might or will happen. Any time somebody tells me "nothing can go wrong", that alone is my reason to back off. Something can always go wrong and usually does.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can understand your doubts. Many times I have responded to medical incidents where I was the only certified EMS provider, & I was able to direct an eager crew of untrained volunteers.

But, there are some minimums that must be met. If you can't get down on your knees & provide chest compressions, you can't train someone on the spot to take your place. Worse yet, if your back acts up & you become a patient yourself, things get even worse. At a certain point, all of us have to say "I can't do it any more."

In any case, there are no "independent" EMTs. All EMT's (& physicians) can practice only with the authority of a state/local agency. All you get from the training is a certificate; some government agency would have to license you to use your skills. That doesn't mean that you can't do things under "good Samaritan" laws, you just can't be an EMT because the town elders want you to.

Neal
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    I'm not an EMT, but my son is and his back is the only part of his body that really bothers him.

The place he works right now is about exactly like you describe. He is studying to take his Chiefs exam so he can save his back.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ChrisInTempe

This ^^^^^^^, make someone responsible for a workers comp. plan for your protection and LIABILITY insurance too. Sometimes good intent actions winds up in a courtroom [;)]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    they told me 80 t0 90 % calls are local older ladies or men just get lonely and scared get worked up and call for help

That part does not sound right. You should give more thought, or get proof, to that part.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not a really good idea for a person with a bad back. You could be just a driver, per say, for them and let others do the lifting. You should just have to take a defensive driving course. If you do decide that you want to do this, get yourself better as to not get into a situation where you get hurt. If and when you do, it is a lot of class work and hands on training to get your EMT qualification certificate. CPR and maybe a 5 point emt training. I have had both those as well as full EMT and paramedic training certificates. That is where I meet my current wife unit[;)][:D]

I think you should go for it, but really get your back squared away first. It is a rewarding venture to help other people and not get paid for it. Getting paid means stress and stress sucks. [;)] Not sure of today's current requirements, but Allen Griggs would know better. I believe he is a paramedic or was at one time not to long ago. Oakie
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go along on a couple of calls and see if it would work for you.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it was easy they wouldn't be eager to give you a job. They are paying you for what you might have to do.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    its not paid its all volunteer except the chief and he has been doing it for 30 40 years all local ( he has to be 70+ ) . all the EMT's have day jobs and can only make the evening and night runs .
    that's why the interest came back up about me.
    Its small area every one knows about each other they found out I retired ( exception of knowing everything , "me" I do not get into the local gossip groups)
    honest if I did not have the back issue I would not have posted This I would have been glad to help ,
    as for the calls I live about a mile from the station they do not get many . and I think he was some what honest in the old people story .
    lot of older farmers and there family's one are of government supported housing but not many people in the area If I had to guess I would say way just a few hundred families in our area .
    I told them the same with the chance of doing more damage to myself and do not seem to be getting any better, I would pass on there request ,

quote:Originally posted by tsavo303
    If it was easy they wouldn't be eager to give you a job. They are paying you for what you might have to do.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are several kinds of back problems. Some are more debilitating than others. Odds are even if you volunteer you won't get past the training and certification.

I don't like being negative, but your local government might have to consider having both paid and volunteer EMTs. That's what our Volunteer Fire Department does. They survive on donations and I think the county kicks in a little.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.