In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Well, I guess I?m going to prison

2»

Comments

• HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    I got the long form in 2000. I threw it away. They sent another...I threw it away.
    They sent me a census worker..cute little girl from the community. It was raining and we stood out the rain as I explained to her the facts of life.
    She begged me to answer some of the questions.
    I compromised with her..Name, Rank, and serial number.

They sent me another long form a couple months ago. threw it away. sent me another with the note that 'I could be arrested for refusal to answer their question'... threw it away.
    The Ten Year Census is Constitutional..this 5-year bull snit is NOTHING except proof positive of the incestuoua relationship between big business and big government...and I will go to jail before I answer hundreds of 'none of their business questions'.
  • 47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the US Census is done EVERY month to a small number of people on a large number of topics. Some surveys are about homes, health, recreation even hunting and fishing.

If you don't like all the questions in the survey just answer the questions you are comfortable with.
  • lpaalplpaalp Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    47 - That wouldn't be any fun. Couldn't claim collusion, demonstrate paranoia, or brag about standing up to the 'gummint' and show how smart we are if we did that.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tr fox
    The last time I got one of those Census Bureau 28 page questionnaire (10 years ago or so. Can't recall for sure) I resented that I was required by law to provide a lot of personal information under threat of legal punishment. But I devised a way to, at least to a small degree, "trick" the Census Bureau and to expose them (or some government branch) for the careless, lying crooks they are. I inserted a single bit of erronous data into my questionnaire so that I could track it to see if the information I was required to give was later misused. Here is what I did.

On the line where I was required to print my full legal name, I "accidently" inserted the letter "Q" as my middle initial. I figured if asked I could explain that "accident" away as me just being distracted by the television, or some such, during the lengthy time that was required of me to fill out that damn form. When I signed the form with my legal signature I did not provide the "Q" because that would be pretty much impossible to claim as an "accident.".

Anyway, I did this in an effort to test the government's claim that all this detailed and personal information would be held strictly confidential. I think I know how government works pretty well and I have no confidence in their promises. And I was correct because it wasn't much more than a year that passed and I started getting junk mail sent to me with my name printed correctly but also containing the fake letter "Q" as part of my name. To me this means that obviously my detailed and personal information (not just about me, but also about my family) had either been carelessly handled, leaked or even sold to companies in order to target my household for their advertising.

After I had several examples of such advertising being sent to me, using that fake letter "Q" in my name, I contacted and complained to two of my Congressmen. One of the didn't care and the other one wanted me to send them copies of the advertising I had received. Because of reasons I don't care to mention I decided to wait on that but I always wondered what might happen if I had followed up on my complaint. Probably nothing.

But anyway, you and anyone else wanting to test your government might try something like this.

I remember you talking about this before...
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    quote: you don't like all the questions in the survey just answer the questions you are comfortable with.

lpaalp

121 Posts
    Posted - 09/02/2008 : 07:24:27 AM

47 - That wouldn't be any fun. Couldn't claim collusion, demonstrate paranoia, or brag about standing up to the 'gummint' and show how smart we are if we did that.

I am comfortable with age, gender, and number of people in the household..as the Constitution dictates.

You Beast az kissers can do as you please with your monthly forms.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lpaalp

If I thought for one instant the government had a legitimate need to know what color my wallpaper is or how many bathrooms I have or if I grew any crops, what was the value of those crops, I'd consider filling out the form.

There is one, and only one, reason for the census. It is spelled out in the Constitution. That reason is to determine how many representatives and electoral votes your state gets.

If there are reasons for the questions, it appears the reasons are to help the government manage things the government has no business in in the first place, much less managing.

And lets not forget, being paranoid doesn't mean you don't have enemies.

I don't see this as standing up to the government. Standing up to the government would be trying to make an issue of it. Refusing to pay the fine and going to jail, etc. If the bureaucrats push it, I'll give them their hundred dollars, but I ain't filling out their form.

If they really need to know anything about me, all they have to do is read one of the many background investigations they have already done.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • 47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    James, just for kicks I'll assume that you MAY own a gun, since you picture one in your signature line. Can you show me were in the Constitution that you are required to fill out the Federal forms in order to purchase that or any firearms. No, the original Constitution says you can own/posses firearms.

What I'm getting to is there are Constitutional ammendments, laws and other regulations that authorize the US Census Bureau to gather information in addition to just counting the number of people in the US.

So whats the big deal, like I said just answer the questions you are comfortable with.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 47studebaker
    James, just for kicks I'll assume that you MAY own a gun, since you picture one in your signature line. Can you show me were in the Constitution that you are required to fill out the Federal forms in order to purchase that or any firearms. No, the original Constitution says you can own/posses firearms.

What I'm getting to is there are Constitutional ammendments, laws and other regulations that authorize the US Census Bureau to gather information in addition to just counting the number of people in the US.

So whats the big deal, like I said just answer the questions you are comfortable with.

47studebaker, I hope you've had a few to drink, because I'd hate to think you comprehend and communicate like this while you're sober. [:D]

"Can you show me were in the Constitution that you are required to fill out the Federal forms in order to purchase that or any firearms."

Can you show me where anybody implied, much less said, the census was in any way connected to the Second Amendment? That's a strawman from nowhere. I'll ignore it for now.

Of course there are laws which authorize the Census Bureau to ask the questions, and the same laws require me to answer them. That makes it legal, it don't make it right.

I did exactly as you suggest. I answered the questions I wanted to answer. I gave them my name, the number of people in my household, my telephone number and yesterday's date.

That will probably be the end of it, but if the bureaucrats want to push it, I'm subject to a fine of one hundred dollars for not filling out the other twenty-seven pages.
  • Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    27 pages? Isn't it early for the 2010 census?

Perhaps the SCOTUS could explain why the gub needs all this info in just 2,987,027 pages? [B)]
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never been asked for more than the basic info,.........if I get one of those, I guess I get ready for a fine.[xx(]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag
    27 pages? Isn't it early for the 2010 census?

Perhaps the SCOTUS could explain why the gub needs all this info in just 2,987,027 pages? [B)]

They are fond of saying "it ain't Constitutional, but let's do it anyway". [:D]