In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lake Erie perch

knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2005 in General Discussion
mmmmmmmmmmm Just finished a delicious dinner of perch that My daughter and I caught at lake Erie last summer. I`m glad we have more.

Bad spellers of the world

"UNTIE!"

Comments

• Options
    ameriskinameriskin Member Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i thought erie's water was so dirty no one ate the fish out of it. am i thinking of the right lake?

cody
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Lake Erie has a river flowing through it, so it takes the dirt away; however, I understand the freal problem is with Mercury, so there's a quota of lake fish one can eat before he has a competency hearing regarding the loss of brain cells.
  • Options
    knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a little mercury aint gonna hurt cha

"UNTIE!"
  • Options
    JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many people won't eat fish out of the Mississippi here either. Mainly it's based on the species and frequency that you eat them. Usually not more than one meal a month for carp (the worst one) as an example and that mainly applies to young children and pregnant women.
  • Options
    ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    my brother has a freezer full of lake erie perch he caught, the way my mom cooks it, MMMMMMM, so tastey!!!

sniper.gifhappy.gifanim_sniper.gif

"I will no longer debate a liberal because I feel they are beneath contempt. Just communicating with one contaminates a person." - whiteclouder
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by knucklehead14

"UNTIE!"

haha, i know i've eaten my share of mercury from the gile flowage in iron county! i was just curious if that's the lake i was thinking of. good luck with the side effects[;)][:o)]

cody
  • Options
    yekimakyekimak Member Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well you know you have a mercury problem when your 10" fish weighs 24 pounds..:)..

-.-.-.we are the all singing, all dancing crap of the world.-.-.-
  • Options
    old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    Nothing beats the smell--taste of pan fried mercury.Enjoy!
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    MMMM... lake erie perch, doesn't get any better. Light and flakey, and doesn't stink like rotten bait.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • Options
    2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was just reading this past week about the mercury in the lakes in wisconsin. They said it was alright to eat all the pan fish you wanted but should only eat game fish once a week or once a month if you are PG.
    Now this seemed strange to me that game fish would be more of a threat than pan fish as they all share the same water.
    A few years ago their was a report on a lake about 35 miles from me. They said not to eat the bass that they were high in PCB's. The next sentence they said it was alright to eat the crappies and bluegills. These fish share the same water I thought so how is it that one speices should not be ate but live in the same water. I smelled a rat and I was right.
    Three weeks later they had a bass tournament in that lake.I don,t know who fell for that BS but I didn't and and those bass were so tasty.[;)]

2-barrel
  • Options
    .280 freak.280 freak Member Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2-barrel -

It all has to do with the food chain; smaller fish eaten by bigger fish that are eaten in turn by still larger fish, etc, etc. The mercury stays in each fish's system, and the more (and larger) fish that are consumed by individual fish at each "level" in the food chain, the more mercury that accumulates in that individual fish. Pretty simple concept, really.

In slightly different words, the smaller panfish, perch and bluegills, for example, pretty much eat only smaller aquatic species of minnows and insect life that can only have just so much mercury in their systems. The larger species of gamefish feed on those smaller fish (and minnows, of course), and start to build up higher concentrations of mercury. The oldest, largest fish thus tend to have the highest levels of mecury, and are therefore thought to pose the highest risk to those at the top of the food chain, ....... people.

Clear as mud? [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    back home the bass and walleye have high levels of mercury, but they said the northerns were way up there. i guess it's not really a problem since i rarely eat northern. but i love walleye, and they're pretty high up there. too bad for me, i love fresh fish[:(] there's some nice places up north for trout though that are still pretty clean, i guess that's what i'll be doing this spring[:p]

cody
  • Options
    2-barrel2-barrel Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks .280 freak I guess I never thought of it that way. Makes sense.
    The next bass I catch I guess I'll bring it home and hang it up for a thermometer.[:D][:D]

2-barrel
  • Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    I haven't eaten or even fished in Lake Erie since the Blackout and all those millions of gallons of sewage got dumped into it.[xx(][xx(]
    I don't think my system can handle mercury,lead and PCB's!

Delta.gif

tn_people112.gif
  • Options
    RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    Do I understand it right? If the fish contain a lot of mercury, you use bottom lures when it's cold and top-water lures when it's hot, weather, I mean. [;)][8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ramtinxxl
    Do I understand it right? If the fish contain a lot of mercury, you use bottom lures when it's cold and top-water lures when it's hot, weather, I mean. [;)][8D]

haha, never thought of that!

cody
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:

Thats what I tell my wife.......hehehehe. [}:)]

Mercury

"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. " - Al Capone, (1899-1947)

"Tolerating things you may not necessarily like is part of being free" - Larry Flynt
  • Options
    john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    I have a freezer full of yellow perch from last summer i caught in sandusky. My older friend 83 yrs and i fish all summer long and the taste of the yellow perch can not be beat. They do not smell the house up when fried and they have no fishy taste like the walleye.I have kept frozen perch in the freezer for a yr at times and they fry up just like fresh fish. The secret is to carve them up right away and wash and freeze right away. My friend has been eating perch at least twice a week for years and he has no health problems. The further out you catch the perch the better. We do not fish close to the shore and outlets anyway. Lake erie is about one of the cleanest lakes you will find now. It used to be bad but is so much better now. You are right about the sewer ovewrflow during power outages but that happens everywhere and the lake cleans itself up though.

It's All Crapola!!!
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    The ice on Chautauqua Lake is just getting about right for my 4 wheeler.
    It's a good thing too because I'm down to my last food saver bag of them.
    You guys think there good all fried up golden browm you shoiuld try them smoked over hickory coals for three- four hours after a night in a brown sugar n salt brine.
    One of the new fishing mags just had a article about how NOT bad all this mercury stuff is. Pregnant maybe, everyone else no way.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.