In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Supporters rally for Jesse Canul

Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
edited September 2011 in General Discussion
This is an update on the shooting discussed in this thread:
http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=531835

http://www.wsaz.com/home/headlines/Shooting_Outside_Wal-Mart_128205923.html

UPDATE 8/29/11 @ 5:45 p.m.
LOGAN, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- A community is split down the middle after a restaurant worker shot the man who robbed him.

Police say David Abbott threatened to cut Jesus Canul's neck and demanded cash. Abbott took his wallet and was leaving when Canul took action. He is accused of shooting and killing Abbott.

Canul was back in court Monday for a bond hearing, but the real story took place outside the courtroom.

Dozens rallied the streets of Logan in support of Canul.

"He is somebody that when he gets behind, he's coming up to me and going, 'Is there anything I can do to help make the rent,'" Kenneth Sells, Canul's landlord, said.

Canul worked several jobs to afford staying in his apartment, but now he lives in jail where the price to leave is $40,000. That's what the judge set his bond at Monday.

"He tells him 'You better back up. You better back up,' and the guy don't back up until he gets his wallet out. Then when he gets his wallet out and he sees that gun, he takes off running. That's when Jesse shot him, as soon as he took off," Rodney Sells, a witness, said.

That's where the debate of self defense comes into play. Canul is facing murder charges because Abbott was already running away when he was shot. However, Canul's supporters disagree.

"I don't care if he did walk away, he still has a right to defend himself," Alice Miles said.

"He was abused right from the beginning when the guy attacked him, and we should remember that he is the first victim involved here," Eugene Mazzocchi said.

"He defended himself. Who would he had done it to next? It could have been our children, our moms, dads. It could have been anybody," Connie Cooke said.

Canul will be back in court Thursday for a preliminary hearing.

Comments

• Options
    hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    Me i would find the person not guilty put sense the idiot shot the guy when he was fleing my guess is he will fry. Is this day and age it the perp isnt Bending you over and giving it to you un wanted in * while holding a gun, knive, what not to your head your f-ck=ed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote: A community is split down the middle after a restaurant worker shot the man who robbed him.

The community is far from being "split down the middle"

An online poll being ran by WSAZ is running at about 90% "Justified"
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    I'll sit on that jury.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I've read....they guy robbed him using a knife as a weapon, then the guy shot him as he turned to go.

Sucks being the robber.

I would feel differently if he had run before he got the wallet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    UPDATE 9/1/11 @ 9:45 p.m.
    LOGAN, W.Va. (WSAZ) - The accused Logan Walmart shooter is out of jail but too worried to go home.

Jesus "Jesse" Canul is charged murder after shooting a man who robbed him in a parking lot.
    Click here to find out more!

The arrest has fired up the community over the meaning of self-defense.

Some of them came together to help Canul post bond.

"We know Jesse. We're friends with Jesse. We've known him for years. And, given the circumstances he was in, 99 percent of Americans would say they're going to do the exact thing he did," says Kimberley Bryant who put up her house to help Canul make bond.

Earlier this week, a judge set Canul's bond at $40,000.

Another man put up some cash to hit that total.

"To know that this happened, it's going to affect him the rest of his life," says Bryant.

Last week, Logan police say Canul shot and killed David Abbott after Abbott robbed him.

Friends started gathering signatures to protest shortly after his arrest, calling the murder charge outrageous.

"I got a permit, and I do carry a gun. That could have easily been me. And, the people of Logan county that know me, I would hope they would back me," says Sissy Napier.

Where Canul lives along Stratton Street, neighbors say his case has brought them together in a way they hadn't experienced before.

"Maybe it'll show the robbers, people will stand up," says Rodney Sells.

Even though he's out of jail, Canul is not going home for now.

Friends say he's staying in a safe house, worried about potential backlash from people who think he was wrong.

"There's a fear there, so it's best for him not to be at home," says Bryant.

Napier adds, "If you would have just seen the look on his face, he was petrified."

So, his supporters are standing by him, saying they're standing up for the right to defend themselves.

Canul was supposed to be in court Thursday for a preliminary hearing. That's been put off until September 21.