In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Which 1911 shoots faster,,

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
edited June 2016 in General Discussion
the series 70 or 80,??

Comments

• iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just curious but are you asking about cycle time, cyclic rate, lock time, or ?????

The only difference that I'm aware of is that a Series 80 has a mechanical firing pin block and a Series 70 doesn't. That difference can effect the trigger pull weight, but not any 'time' or 'speed' that I'm aware of.
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I honestly think its going to be whichever one you pull the trigger on faster. I would imagine any difference is going to be unnoticeable buy all but the most professional and practiced race/exhibition Gunners.
  • wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your getting robbed in Chicago by a thug = fast. You fall into a Gorilla exhibit = Faster!

Your Brain is in your finger. [;)]
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited November -1
    Equally one is not faster than the other at putting rounds downrange,but each could be modified to be snudgent faster than the other???
    edited November -1
    I favor the series 80. I've come to like the firing pin block.
    edited November -1
    Got mighty fine teachers,,[^][^][^]
    edited November -1
    Lightened hammer/Titanium hammer/heavier main spring would allow a faster 'lock' time. Lightened Slide would allow a faster 'cycle' time. Hotter loads would allow a faster bullet velocity. A broken sear WILL allow for a MUCH faster cyclic rate, until the mag runs dry (do not ask why I know that)

What I want to know is: How difficult is it to fit a 38 Super barrel to one O' them there NEW Colt 9mm Competition Gov't models? Can it be done with by just fitting a barrel and bushing?

Forge?????
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one in Jerry Miculek's hands [:D].
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    forgemonkey is on the correct tract I had one frame that with slide and barrel change shoot 7 different Cartridges . That was at a time
    when I thought they were going to take our guns away Might have to rethink about building a replacement if HC gets elected
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one that has Jerry Miculek's finger on it's trigger.[:D]
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    IIRC the Colt SAA is faster than the 1911, in the right hands
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the correct answer.

When a nobob booby head does his own trigger job to give his new 1911 a super smooth light and crisp trigger pull. He screws up and upon inserting a full magazine of 230 hard ball ammo to give his new trigger a go, it sure does go. It goes full auto firing at the mechanical speed limit of the slide movement and the hammer following it down unabated to fire the cartridge.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Anyone ever determined the cyclic rate of a 1911A1 gone bad?
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    my average is 11/100th of a second {splits}, i have achieved 9/100th on occasion all on target

6" target 10 yards

target to target {transitions} 16/100th

6" target 10 yards 2 yards apart, average 4" group
    edited November -1
    You didn't mention how many rounds this involved.

I apparently spent too much time shooting Bullseye, 'cause I can count to five while keeping my shoes on. I 'test drove' a Kimber Gold Match from a friend and he loaded the mags for me. Dumb me. I shot 'slow fire' and was curious when the slide didn't lock back after 5, or 6, or 7, or, well you get the idea. I set it down and turned around to ask my bud, who was still busy loading mags from his range bag. Yep, he loaded 10 per mag, 'because that's how many it will hold'. Nice shooter, but the 2 pound trigger, while nice was rather un-nerving since it wasn't NRA legal. Them 'combat' shooters are a different bunch.

Oh, 8 rounds in 8/10th of a second is 600 rounds per minute!!! That's faster than a M3 'Greasegun' (350-400 rpm) and equal or a bit slower than a Thompson SMG (600-750 rpm)

quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan
    my average is 11/100th of a second {splits}, i have achieved 9/100th on occasion all on target

6" target 10 yards

target to target {transitions} 16/100th

6" target 10 yards 2 yards apart, average 4" group
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    8+1 then 8 and 8 with a reload on 65/100th of a second

that how i won Illinois, Missouri, and midwest regional regional idpa as master 2 years in a row

yes i can also shoot bulls-eye, but its just too slow for me, i have also walked away with most accurate many times