In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

todays sourdough 4-30-17

1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
edited May 2017 in General Discussion
new recipe i found, probably the silkiest, smoothest dough i ever made, 100% white sourdough , still needs tweaking on cook time though for a thicker crust

B8nJvPAl.jpg

perfect crumb

AVMBjiml.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The finished product looks delicious as usual! [:p]

Jon
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,124 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm in for this giveaway
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dan, are you doing this all by hand? Or bread machine? What's the secret to getting all the air pockets? I've been trying to make Tiger Bread/Giraffe/Dutch Crunch. I have the paste really close but I'm really struggling to get my basic white bread light and airy; it keeps coming out very dense.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scrumpyjack
    Dan, are you doing this all by hand? Or bread machine? What's the secret to getting all the air pockets? I've been trying to make Tiger Bread/Giraffe/Dutch Crunch. I have the paste really close but I'm really struggling to get my basic white bread light and airy; it keeps coming out very dense.

all by hand

the secret to getting an open crumb is the hydration and folding {no kneading}, this pic was honestly the most dense part of the bread, i cut a wedge off the side for dinner and was tickled to death with each bite

i literally just sat down after preparing 2 large loaves for tomorrow, will be up and down all night till bed time folding

edit: i will send you some dehydrated sourdough starter and recipes if you like
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,000 ******
    edited November -1
    [:p][:p][:p][:p][:p]
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Got enough starter for someone else?

Wife let the King Arthur Sourdough starter die while I was away.

That is one beautiful loaf!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandLoad

send me an address and i will send it later this week, and post a tutorial on how to get it hydrated and active in only a few days

i have 400year old from 1633, and a great one from Ischia Italy
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You are doing great baking! Using a dutch oven? Spritzing for steam?

E-mail sent, and Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    proofed in a makeshift banneton basket, and baked in a dutch oven

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=692999
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan
    quote:Originally posted by HandLoad

send me an address and i will send it later this week, and post a tutorial on how to get it hydrated and active in only a few days

i have 400year old from 1633, and a great one from Ischia Italy

Did my snail mail Addy make the trip? I can resend!
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just resent, via E-mail, through GB.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i just sent you one too , nothing yet on my end
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That is odd. Checked my profile, and it has my correct email. Am receiving other emails. Didn't eat a fail notice on sending to your email, using GB "Send a PM". Don't know what more needs doing?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i sent a few a couple of weeks ago to others with no reply as well

just sent you a test
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are you sending to .net? Mine ends in .net

Demonstrating I am an Idiot, I did the same thing, and sent a Third Address to your e-mail (the one you have listed on GB profile - could You check Your Profile to see if the Email addy there is current?)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yes mine is current

i sent mr.mike an email last week, i assumed he never got it because he is not rude enough to not respond, gb email/message must be screwed up

and yes i checked junk mail too, got nothing
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Feel like giving a call?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    got it, will call in a bit if you want to take it down
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your last thread on bread making got me interested so I gave it a go. hate the kneading krap.
    First loaf I baked from an online recipe I call the Manatee bread
    I misread the recipe and used 5 "tablespoons" not "5 teaspoons" of butter
    It was incredibly good almost like cake bread than bread.

Decided it was too much work and went looking for a bread machine. My brother suggested I try Goodwill because people are always turning them in.
    Didn't find one I liked the first time (There is a GW in the same plaza where I have guns sent to an FFL so I check GW when I pick up a firearm)
    Next time they had a nice one for $5.99.
    It has an "Express" bread maker mode. 58 minutes, just dump in the stuff and push the button.
    Once I again I blew the recipe and did not use enough yeast (I used a package so who knew that was not the universal yeast amount for every recipe?)
    When I corrected it 3 loaves later I realized it is much better with less yeast, denser, at least to my taste. man is it good

That is twice where getting the recipe wrong turned out much better

I am way to much a beginner to attempt sourdough bread but some day.

Thanks for sharing. I may have gone a different route but it was because you shared your experiences that prompted me to give it a go

The infamous Manatee bread:
    1st-WB-loaf_zpsg91lzpat.jpg

58 minute "Expressbread"
    expressbread-May1-17_zpsm307go3j.jpg
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i do not knead my bread, a series of folding and waiting, folding and waiting, fold some more wait some more {folding takes a whole minute, waiting takes an hour}

kneading leads to dense crust, breads with butter, eggs or milk should be baked at much lower temps of 350-

i dont care for bread machines myself {they also cook at 425degrees}, they produce odd shapes and have holes in the bottom, i see them all the time at resale shops, you have to wonder why

mixing bowl, some flour,water,salt and a heat source and im good to go, a scale would be nice but i can do it by feel

thanks for sharing

edit: when making yeast breads there are several types of yeast, rapid rise is used for bread machines and those who dont want to hydrate the yeast first, you can get by with 1tps if you hydrate it first {packet is 2.25tps} it just takes a bit longer to rise}
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do hate the hole in the middle of the loaf.

My machine also has a "dough" setting where I can put the stuff in and come back to just put it in the bread tray, let it rise an hour and bake, very little mess and clean up by comparison to from scratch.

But, I think their recipe for was not to my taste and will fiddle with it to get a thicker, denser, heavier bread, same weight just 1/3 less in size.

Again, I am grateful for your posting about this as it got me going. The fact I am using a few basic non toxic waste (What seems to be in store bought bread[:D])ingredients will make it better for my soon to be 68 years.
    Everything counts when it comes to better health.
    The bread I am making does not have ingredients that end with nitrate, ionate, flavin and what might be a nice Greek island; glyserides but has no business in food and I am guessing that lack of those chemical sounding things will be to my health betterment
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    big thing in bread making is watch the bread not the clock

just a few degrees in temp and humidity can alter the way the dough acts, a rainy day can need a bit more flour, a hot day can decrease proof time, proof/prove by the clock can cause your bread to collapse

it really is easy i think that is what makes it difficult for many tend to over think it , a loaf of sourdough takes about 8 min of hands on time, but about 20 hours of waiting

if you carefully read my tutorial you will note in the pics that i purposely took most of them in front of a clock {proof that day took 2 hours}

http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=692999

follow those techniques and try the recipe at the bottom, it is very easy