In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

place for good used laptops?

Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
edited January 2009 in General Discussion
Hook me up with some sites!

Comments

• spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    New ones that are more than adequate are a few hundred bucks.

Why would you want to screw around with a used machine?
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, stay away from any used electronics. Laptops are pretty cheap
    these days, go with new![:D]
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:New ones that are more than adequate are a few hundred bucks.

Why would you want to screw around with a used machine?

+1, Unless you know where the used computer is coming from I would advise to stay away from that route. Too many "unknowns".

Jon
  • Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm scared of vista. [:D][:D][}:)]
  • iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    There is nothing wrong with Vista. Just like any change, people holler over it because it's just "change." Son has it on his laptop, and has had zilch, zero, nada problems with it. After I used it for 15 minutes, and got somewhat used to it, I like it better than the XP on my desktop and laptop. If you are set on used, look at the remanufactured laptops from any major manufacturer. Bought my first two that way at DEEP discounts. Only problem I had was with a Compaq. Hard drive went out on it after about 6 months. The NEXT DAY they had me a new laptop at the house.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iluvguns
    There is nothing wrong with Vista. Just like any change, people holler over it because it's just "change." Son has it on his laptop, and has had zilch, zero, nada problems with it. After I used it for 15 minutes, and got somewhat used to it, I like it better than the XP on my desktop and laptop. If you are set on used, look at the remanufactured laptops from any major manufacturer. Bought my first two that way at DEEP discounts. Only problem I had was with a Compaq. Hard drive went out on it after about 6 months. The NEXT DAY they had me a new laptop at the house.
    I may give in. I guess XP did take getting used to.
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jacob2008
    I'm scared of vista. [:D][:D][}:)]
    Vista is actually very good. Most of the negative that you hear is the same negative crap we heard when Windoze95, 98, 98SE and XP came out - people are afraid of change.

I have an XP laptop and a Vista laptop. I'd go for the Vista every time.

Make sure you aren't getting saddled with Home Basic, which is a useless OS. Home Premium, Business or Ultimate will work just dandy and, IMO, is far easier to use (and stable) than XP.

Premium will satisfy the needs of about 75% of the market.
  • beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dell's refurbished website (left hand side of page,under "stockrooms", select laptops)----save some dough

Here
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/
    bought my last 2 computers here,both were referbs and had better warrentys than most new machines,they also offer extended full replacement warrentys for a decient price.
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    its been my experience that theres no such thing as good used laptops, with factory refurbs excepted.

too many problems that might take a few weeks or months to manifest(like until after your warranty is expired).

you can get new brand name computers in the 500's and brand new off brands in the 3-4's. why roll the dice on a 250 ebay special?
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.dickerdeals.com
    I picked mine up from these guys a year or so ago...
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    www.geeks.com
    or configure it yourself at www.pacificgeeks.com
    and compared to tiger either has better machines/prices.
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sharpshooter039
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/
    bought my last 2 computers here,both were referbs and had better warrentys than most new machines,they also offer extended full replacement warrentys for a decient price.

+1.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    vista rocks, it takes a bit to get use to, and requires some configuring, and you need 2 gigs min to get it's full potential

choose one with "core2duo" {not to be confused with dual core}
    the puter i do the most work on is a notebook with a 1.5mhz core2duo, 4 gigs of ram, 4 gigs of readyboost, it will outperform one of my 2.4 p4 desktops any day of the week

of all places big lots had a good one hp dv1000 a few weeks ago for 499
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    vista rocks, it takes a bit to get use to, and requires some configuring, and you need 2 gigs min to get it's full potential

the puter i do the most work on is a notebook with a 1.5mhz core2duo, 4 gigs of ram, 4 gigs of readyboost, it will outperform one of my 2.4 p4 desktops any day of the week

is your laptop a liquid cooled beast? lol
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jacob2008
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan

is your laptop a liquid cooled beast? lol

no but the core2duo is the coolest running cpu on the market, never worry about over heating, 65 watts compared to most 95+, i'm running a virus scan and a download while i'm typing this