In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

OK, nerds and geeks,got one for you

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited January 2005 in General Discussion
Nuked hd using FDisk,noproblem, use the DIR command on all drives, everything is cool,BIOS sees all 4 harddrives and partitions BUT windows XP setup sees NO harddrives! Explain that.[V]

Comments

• IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bubba, you answered your own question: "Windows XP."

Not being a wise guy (I hope). Wish I had a definitive answer, but I've had nothing but freaking headaches with this piece of OS.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Xp works fairly well for me, now the other machine that has ME, now that is a piece of poop!!!
    Basically I think it's Microsoft in General!!!

pa1.gif

Life is a journey fear no one, Respect Everyone
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I have XP on my new system (works fine so far) and ME on my old system or as the IT people at work call it Miserable Edition.
    Waiting for one of the whiz boys to offer to install a better os that my old system will handle.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got Windows 2000 pro on my desktop and laptop ... looks alot like 98 but NT file system ... much more stable ... no problems ... either that or I'm just not a soapistophacated 'nough user oh.gif
    If you really want to do something, you'll find a way ...
    ... If you don't, you'll find any excuse.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    You're gonna have to translate that into English, or at least, American, before I'll have any idea what you are talking about.
  • scutascuta Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You've got mail 7mm nut

If you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." The Dalai Lama
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i sure miss win 95 plus....
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, in simple terms, here is what I did. I put in a Win 98 startup disk (the only one that has F-Disk on it), then I did the Format C: command, then I entered in Fdisk/mbr to reset the master boot record for a fresh install of windows. I then went into the BIOS setup and set the machine to boot from the CDRom drive and put in the WinXP cd, rebooted the computer. Now the first thing that should have happened is XP setup to tell me the C: partition is wrong and it needs to redo it to a different format, no problem. BUT it came up and said no hard drives are connected to the computer, horsepucky there are 4 Maxtors in this thing! So I went back to BIOS setup, reset it to boot from the floppy and booted into F-Disk. I then used the DIR command to verify that all hard drives are there and functioning, perfect it sees all of them and can read them fine. So I go back to BIOS setup once more, change it to boot from CD and run setup but once again XP cannot find the hard drives! Now I have done this several times, F-Disk format, then over that use XP setup to reformat, infact at times I have deleted the C: partition altogether then rebuilt it to the correct format for XP, either way it works fine. But now I am befuddled, why won't XP see any of my hard drives? I know they are there, I know they work, I reinstalled WinME and am using the machine right now. I even tried to install a clean copy of WinMe from scratch, go thru devise manager and make sure all cards and RAID is setup right, then before any software got installed I placed the XP cd in the drive and selected UPGRADE, but the stupid thing still even with a working OS in there thinks there are no hard drives! Anyhow, I was going to use XP this time around after my monthly format since the other computers in the house use XP and after some tinkering on them I found that there are backdoor ways to reconfigure XP to work like WinMe while still having the network benifits of XP (plus I have some cool software that will only work with XP and I want to try it out[:D]). But it looks like me and WinMe are going to be friends for a very long time[:D][:D]

• kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bobski
    i sure miss win 95 plus....

I'm pretty sure I still have a copy if you really want to reminisce!
    If you really want to do something, you'll find a way ...
    ... If you don't, you'll find any excuse.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Shadow62Shadow62 Member Posts: 828 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey 7mm,
    get a copy of win 98 se it will see all your drives
    win 98 is win 95 with 88 more lines of code.

works great!!!!!!!!!

Shadow62
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have four computers and have Win 98 SE on them. I had Win 2000 on a couple, but it wouldn't run some of my games and programs, so I went back to the old 16 bit 98SE. I have Win XP Professional on my computer at work and yes it seems a little more stable, but sure not worth buying.
  • Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    After the WinME installation did you try the XP installation?

I don't see a reason why XP wouldn't install now you have an operating system up and running. Send me an email as I have something that will guarantee a XP installation onto that hard drive.
    edited November -1
    Red, I installed a fresh copy of WinMe, once I got all the internal hardware taken care of I went to install XP over top of it, failed. Now everytime I reboot I got this annoying dual boot happening and I can't for the life of me figure out how to stop it[:(!] When XP tries to finish installing it gets the XP version of the "blue screen of death". I'm fixin to get out the floppy disk again[:(!]

Let me know what you got because this is the first time this machine has ever stumped me, redneck1314@adelphia.net

• ElbestaElbesta Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when you set the partitions for XP they should be NTFS

so >fdisk
    >format C:
    set partititons NTFS
    >x:\setup (x is cdrom drive)

also it is not good to install XP over ME you should save what you need and then format HD
    edited November -1
    I always set the NTFS partitions with the XP cd after booting from it. We all have backwards ways of doing things, thats one of mine[:D] Nuke it with F-Disk the partiton with XP[:D]

• ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    did you partition it as an NTFS drive? I dont think Windows XP will recognize FAT32

oh yeah, and win ME is the worst operating system known to man

santa2.gifsig3.jpgsanta2.gif

"I will no longer debate a liberal because I feel they are beneath contempt. Just communicating with one contaminates a person." - whiteclouder
    edited November -1
    Ruger, I know my way around WinMe so well I can work it better than anyting else I have. Most folks like 98, I prefer WinMe. And XP will run on a Fat32 if you push the issue, but if you read close enough you will see where I already went to switch the partition over but I couldnt get that far because XP sucks worse than 95 and 98 put together[:D] Only reason I want it is to try out some new software that will only run under XP and I aint puttin on the kids computers to try it.

• ElbestaElbesta Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My guess is you had fat 32 parts with ME and trying to change them to NTFS for XP. if you leave ME on the drive it must stay fat32
    edited November -1
    I tried to change them before the WinMe install, I was doing this from a fresh format but XP setup claimed there was no harddrives at all on this machine, none nada zip, it would not could not refused to see them, I never even got to where I could change over to ntfs. I have doen this exact same procedure with our other computers, XP will see the Fat32 and request you change it, then I will deete the partition using XP, reformat and set to ntfs, works like a charm and the format is guarenteed better than just using F-Disk to do it. I gavce up and reinstalled WinMe like I always do every 30 days or so, then went to do an upgrade to XP(which BTW if I wasn't so desperate to try this I would not be doing that as I absolutly hate overtop installs).

But I ran MaxBlast, it found all four drives, I reran F-Disk and it found all four drives, WinMe sees them just fine BUT XP thinks there are 0 hard drives installed. Right now it is not the partition format that is causing the problem, it is something else and I am clueless, I can't get far enough with it for it to tell me they are the wrong format[:(!]

• sweaversweaver Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, I can offer help if you want. First of all, what are you plugging your drives into? You say that you have 4 hard drives and apparantly a CDROM. Well that wont work on a standard motherboard because you have a maximum of 4 IDE devices, 2 per channel. Are you connecting one or more of the drives to a SCSI or PCI IDE drive? Or perhaps you are using serial ATA on a PCI or onboard RAID controller? If you are connecting the drives to anything other than the two IDE controllers on the motherboard, you will need to hit F6 when the XP setup first starts in order to load the drivers for the interface card (via floppy only). Dont screw with Windows 98, 95,or especially ME. Anyone that tells you that is giving you bad advice. XP is the best out there and is the only OS that supports current multimedia abilities besides the fact that the other 3 are completely obsolete. Compare it to asking what to hunt with and someone suggesting a sling shot(Win9x) instead of a gun(WinXP).
    If you can provide me with the exact configuration of your drives I can help you in greater detail.

Shane
    edited November -1
    I am using an ABIT KR7A-RAID board, I have 4 80 gig hard drives, 2 each on 2 IDE cables, plus 4 cdrom drives, again 2 each on 2 IDE cables, this board has 4 IDE slots and there are two floppy drives paired up on one cable. This machine has had both 98 and WinMe on it, have never had any problem with any drive conflicts, the Maxtors all run at the speed they are supposed to, this board is the best one I have ever run[:D] But it sounds like you are telling me that XP does not support this setup when all other OSs do support it. Also my RAID driver is installed, is there something different I need to do with it during the XP setup?

• agzorigagzorig Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd agree w/ Shane. Tell us the exact configuration of your drives. Been using XP PRO since it came out and it works really fine, tho' I'm using only one hard drive (120GB Maxtor), a DVD-ROM drive and a DVD writer.

Did you ever try setting it up using one hard drive only and booting from the CDROM Drive? I've had no problems using MaxBlast first then installing XP on it.
    edited November -1
    Ok, you "kind of" have 4 IDE channels. What you have are two IDE channels and two RAID channels. In order to use the RAID channels you first need to go into the RAID setup and create the RAID set. Once you do this, then you can go to another computer and use the mobo CD to create a driver disk for the RAID controller. This drive is NOT loaded with WinXP setup, you will have to do it manually. From what you are saying, you are installing WinXP from scratch with four completely blank drives. Also I'm making the assumption that all four hard drives are plugged into the RAID controllers. For simplicities sake, do it this way:

Primary IDE controller: Hard Disk 0 (C: drive)
    Secondary IDE controller: CD
    RAID Controller 0: 2 hard drives
    RAID Controller 1: 1 hard drive

First make sure the jumper settings on all the RAID drives are set to Cable Select. Now, go into the RAID controller setup and create a striped set and that will take all three drives and create one large partition (I'm assuming this is what you want, its what I would want).

Now boot to the WinXP cd, it will see the hdd on the primary IDE controller. Make sure the hdd jumper is set to master prior to booting. When installing XP, choose to format the drive using NTFS (quick). If at any time it tells you that the disk is an upgrade and must find a qualifying product, just put any previous Windows CD in the drive and point to it. It will check then ask for the XP CD again.
    By putting your C drive on the primary IDE you wont need the drivers for the RAID controller, once XP is fully installed it will see the card and the drives and you can format the partition within Windows (Computer Management).

If this doesnt help, or still having problems, let me know.

shane
    edited November -1
    I have the drives setup this way, (BTW they are not blank, all are partitioned into seperate drives, my drive letters go into the high alphabet[:D], these drives are full of movies, music, music videos and a ton of CD images, those drives get a workout[:D]) Anyhow, on IDE 3 I have one hard drive set as MASTER, second drive on that cable is SLAVE, on IDE4 I have Secondary MASTER and Secondary SLAVE. IDE 1 and two are my CDRom drives, setup the same way. This has been setup like this for two years since I rebuilt this the last time, my previous motherboard had to have a controller card for all these drives, I went with the ABIT so I could do away with the controller card. Also, while striping would be a fast way to run this, for the amount of hard space I use it would take drives three times the size that is ini it now just to handle the files already there.

It sounds like you are telling me that this setup that has worked for so long will not operate with XP, I will have to reconfigure all of it. If that is the case and I decide to run XP permanant I will just rebuild and go with a P4 since it goes well with XP, kiss my beloved ATHLON goodbye[V]

Also this version of XP PRO I have is not an upgrade but a clean install version however when loading it with an OS already installed it gives two options, one is an upgrade install the other is a new install that can delete the previous version or run as a dual boot and run now this goofy SOB is trying to run as a dual boot since I started the install but failed. When I first tried this, it was with a nice clean C:, wiped clean with F-Disk then the attempt to boot from the XP cd to change the partition and install XP failed so I then decided to go ahead and put WinMe back in, installed it clean with no problems as I have done many times. Made sure device manager had no !! and with no external devices hooked up (only the RAID, ehternet card, AGP video and sound card drivers installed) I then setout to break one of my biggest rules and do an overtop install, that failed and now this stupid thing tries to perform as a dual boot to finish the XP setup and it crashes causing me to hit the GFYS button[:(!]

But if you are infact telling me I have to reconfigure all of my drives and or dump one or two of them then XP will never get used in this, if XP is so much better why won't it work with the same setup that 98 and WinMe has worked on for over two years? I should simply have to change the format to NTFS and install XP, atleast that is what I thought[V][V][V][V][V]

edited November -1
    You dont necessarily have to reconfigure your drives, I was assuming you had all blank drives and suggested a good setup. The controller card that you used before, was it merely an ATA card or was it RAID? If it was RAID then you will have to continue using it on your new board until you rebuild the RAID on the onboard controller(IDE 3 &4). When you set up drives on a controller like that it marks the drives and that setup will only work with that particular controller. In order to set it back up again you will need to back up the data and recreate your RAID with the new mobo. As for not having enough space with the setup I suggested, you would have something like this:
    C: 80GB Partition
    D: 240GB Partition

But this setup wont work if you want to have many partitions (never really understood that).

To clean up your C: drive you will need to format it again and start the XP load from scratch. Someone else gave good advice here, just hook up one CD and your primary hard drive and install WinXP, then hook the rest of the stuff up.

Shane
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't go blaming xp ,it is a user problem ,not a program problem {don't mean to sound harsh ,but I had the same problem}

First ,only hook up the master drive you need to install your os ,on ,and a master cd
    Rom ,later hook them up ,and xp will install them ,here are a few things to consider

When you do a f-disc from a 98 or me disc ,it will put on your bios what os you are installing

98/me also are fat systems ,when you install xp over ,it will also be a fat system not ntfs

if you have Maxtor drives ,use the Maxtor install disc to get a clean format ,it will also prompt you to what system you are installing ,and format for it,and partition it correctly

a lot of times 98/me will recognize the drive ,but xp will not {bois deletes it},go into set/start up up {dos/bios},and reinstall the master drive only ,then boot from cd ,if you have a pro {legal}copy ,not a burned copy it should take off ,if not go back ,and check make sure it is recognizing the drive in set up once again ,bootleg copies will sometimes get stuck on f8 command ,if so your stuck with using it as an upgrade

- .... . / --- -. .-.. -.-- / - .-. ..- . / .-- .. ... -.. --- -- / .. ... / .. -. / -.- -. --- .-- .. -. --. / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -. --- - .... .. -. --.

... --- -.-. .-. .- - . ...