In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

cost of a "cinder" block

CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
edited March 2014 in General Discussion
Cinder, concrete, cement... whatever you want to call it, anyone know the average price? 8x8x16
Lowes search engine royally blows!!!!! Even searched for CMU

Comments

• Options
    scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should be less than $1.50. Around here in PA they are $1.23 for 16x8x6 and $1.40 for 16x8x8.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,455 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got some at the local cement plant for 89cents apeice. Lowes was the highest here I think they wanted a 1.49
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want delivery add 50 to 75 to the price of about 1.50
  • Options
    pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    If you don't worry about a few chips,go tho your closest masonry supply and ask for"seconds". $1.40 here in Id.
  • Options
    rossowmnrossowmn Member Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see them on sale at Menards (southern MN) all the time for 94 cents (8x8x16).
  • Options
    kevind6kevind6 Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are currently about $1.70 a piece delivered to the jobsite here in my area in northern Utah.....assuming you are buying a full truckload of course.

Most of the home store block are made from heavy weight aggregates because they are cheaper to produce. Besides the weight, these heavy weights are more prone to chip. From a contractor's perspective, the $.10 to $.20 cents you save with home store block is quickly eaten up if you have to go back later and patch in all the chips on a finished wall. I only buy light weights.
  • Options
    kevind6kevind6 Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tell you what, if you are looking to build a block building on the cheap, you may want to talk to a masonry contractor and see what he has in his yard that he'll sell you. At least around here, block manufacturers no longer carry an inventory of all the colors and textures they offer. Thus, any block job other than the standard gray is custom ordered....meaning that there are no returns on the left over block.

Since the lead time to manufacture a custom block is about 4 weeks, masonry contractors can't afford to run short so we all order heavy. Looking out my window I could just about build a WalMart with all the odds and ends block I have stacked in my yard. Eventually they do get used, but at any one time I still have a bunch that I'd gladly unload for cheap.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kevind6
    Tell you what, if you are looking to build a block building on the cheap, you may want to talk to a masonry contractor and see what he has in his yard that he'll sell you. At least around here, block manufacturers no longer carry an inventory of all the colors and textures they offer. Thus, any block job other than the standard gray is custom ordered....meaning that there are no returns on the left over block.

Since the lead time to manufacture a custom block is about 4 weeks, masonry contractors can't afford to run short so we all order heavy. Looking out my window I could just about build a WalMart with all the odds and ends block I have stacked in my yard. Eventually they do get used, but at any one time I still have a bunch that I'd gladly unload for cheap.
    Humm... Good point to keep in mind when a new basement gets built in a few years.

Thanks for the heads up. [;)]
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    when did you purchase a corvette ? [:D]
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think home depot is .97 ea if you buy the pallet.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Seems in this area the only way to price is either get on the phone or drive to each supplier. Homedepot was the only one to list their price on line.

Lowes if you search for CMU it gives you everything for CMI.
  • Options
    CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    Seems in this area the only way to price is either get on the phone or drive to each supplier. Homedepot was the only one to list their price on line.

Lowes if you search for CMU it gives you everything for CMI.

Lowes has one of the worst search engines I've seen. It truly is a piece of @!&?
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    where is selectfire when you need him ?

5378d1362680744t-how-move-car-hates-roll-into-garage-3920365677_ef2001a409.jpg