In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colbert Report-Zumbo

ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
edited February 2007 in General Discussion
Did anyone watch last nights Cobert Report on Comedy Central? The rerun was just on and during Colbert's intro segment he talked about Zumbo's comments and how the gun owners shut him down. It was the usual smart-*, sarcastic Colbert stuff but interesting. I'll try and find a link.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Here is the link. You will have to sit thru a commercial and his intro before he goes on to Zumbo.
    http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/index.jhtml?ml_video=82847
  • Options
    elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    Funny...in a not so helpful sort of way.
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    looking past the sarcasm, it sounds like Colbert is actually a Gun Owner.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    He asked for a "cat scratch favor" from Nugent.[:D]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It really is a shame that Zumbo opened his mouth before educating himself on a different facet of the sport shooting industry...
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    The Second Ammendment has nothing to do with "sport".

D.
  • Options
    LOKO383LOKO383 Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    The Second Ammendment has nothing to do with "sport".

D.
    [;)][:D][^]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is kind of interesting to me that we, including me, did not allow Zumbo to have his opinion, however much we disagreed with it. We used his sponsors to kind of mash his First amendment rights.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    like they dont have the right to not promote an anti gun opinion that threatens their business....
  • Options
    stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    Hedog,
    We didn't "mash" anything.
    Zumbo was completely able to exercise his rights under the 1st ammendment.
    Noone stopped him from saying whatever he wanted to say.
    We, then, exercised ours and the end result was the downfall of Zumbo.
    If you believe that the 1st gives you the right to say ANYTHING without response or repercussion, perhaps you should take a look at history and the intent of the founding fathers.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my point was only that we valued our second a lot more than his first.
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    I think the man has a right to express his opinion but to the point of terrorist rifles. Thats a bit much.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The First protects us from the government not from ourselves.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Doug Wilson,

Yes, 'sport' is very specifically included in the Second Ammendment intent, along with 'right to defend yourself' and right to defend your country. Try living in England where commoners are not allowed to hunt!

My point is that Jim Zumbo has been a gun rights advocate all his life. He made the mistake of popping off about a different facet of shooting than what he does. He had a wide following that very quickly narrowed when, I believe, he went too far in tying assault rifle shooter types to terrorist types. Assault rifles can be used for both sport and defense. Unfortunately, they are also used to intimidate. Had Jim educated himself before making his statement I do believe he would not have said what he did.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Zumbo can say what he wants, I can too. I can also buy what I want, and watch the shows that dont have his stupid butt on them.
  • Options
    MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog

Ummmm... no. Zumbo used his right to free speech, we did the same. No one's rights were limited or infringed in any way.
  • Options
    elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1

Don't go soft on us now big dog. Nobody violated his 1st amendment rights or put our rights over his. He is still free to voice whatever opinion he wants and I'll go to the mat to defend his right to say it. The problem is that in exercising his 1st he displayed a complete misunderstanding of his 2nd. Given the current state of our 2nd amendment rights we can't afford to have a spokesman like Zumbo supported by our dollars.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I have been watching/turnin the channel, on Dumbo's outdoor programs for many years.IMHO, that fadass couldn't find a Cape Buffalo in his own damn shower without a PH. Nor could he find a Mountain Goat on his own roof, without a SHERPA pushin his fat * up the ladder.The man is, and always has been a TV fatlady!

Jeff
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,358 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Yes we did and still do.
  • Options
    Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    "My assault weapons talk to me. They told me to buy JetBlue." [:D]
  • Options
    victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with sandwarrior
    ,and He Dog. It was like sacrificing one of are own to keep the rest of the writers in line. It served its purpose, one writer started to defend Zumbo, then backed off.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    victorvlb,

I agree we sacrificed one of our own rather than re-educate him. He certainly did need to be held accountable for what he said. You can't let what he said pass without addressing it. But I would much rather he still be held in the fold with the shooters than kicked when he's down and disgraced and pushed away from us. He can, after recovering from this, either still be a powerful ally or turn enemy on us. He may just go on, with the tangent that he took as he may feel that the gun industry ostracised him. I think if he is going to stay on our side we need to stop hammering him right now.

This requires some forethought in our actions when we deal with people who are anti-gun. Anti-gun includes many of us shooters who wouldn't own an AR or a pistol in their home.(Not to worry I advocate both). It just means that when we come across someone who doesn't have an open mind toward what we do with guns the first course of action should be education not eviction from the club.