In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hunter education class..........

pistoljimpistoljim Member Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2007 in General Discussion
This weekend I have to attend a two day class with my son in order for him to hunt here in Mo. If you were born on or after Jan. 1 67, you have to take this class. I am trying to figure out how it could take 16 hours to teach hunter safety. Does any other state have programs like this?

Comments

• Options
    KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
    edited November -1
    Texas does. Never heard of having to take it after you're 18 in any other state I've lived in. Pretty annoying. I took it once in Oregon when I was 12 and remember thinking even back then it was EXTREMELY common sense type of things. I'm not looking forward to taking the class agian if thats what I was thinking when I was 12. [|)]
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    Colorado does. In fact, you can take it on-line now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Kodiakk
    Texas does. Never heard of having to take it after you're 18 in any other state I've lived in. Pretty annoying. I took it once in Oregon when I was 12 and remember thinking even back then it was EXTREMELY common sense type of things. I'm not looking forward to taking the class agian if thats what I was thinking when I was 12. [|)]

Having an 18 year old cutoff date makes more sense to me. The way it is here in Mo., anyone under 40 years old has to take it. Even non-residents have to take it unless they are certified in their home state.
  • Options
    youngsparkeyyoungsparkey Member Posts: 398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The cutoff here I think is anyone after 1979. Both boys went thruogh it last fall. It's online in MN if your over 18.
  • Options
    merskmersk Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Michigan has the hunter safety classes as well. And I believe everyone born after Jan. 1st 1960 has either had to take the classes in order to hunt or just latly the state has come up with some kind of apprentice program. Something like hunt with an adult for a year or two, learn from them and then get your license. Much like the way it was back in the day when I started hunting.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    New Mexico also does. It is aimed (no pun intended)at beginners. Makes sense right? I had to take it to hunt on the White Sands Missle Range for Oryx. It was a little elementary, but worthwhile. A little refreasher can never hurt us old guys, and it is a good program for youngsters starting out. He Dog's opinion.
  • Options
    bugtusselbugtussel Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    California requires anyone wishing to buy a hunting license to have Hunters Safety - course is a min 10 hours ...check to see if MO has an online course. California only requires 4 hours of classroom then - the rest is done at home at your own pace
  • Options
    Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Indiana has one, I'm not sure what the cut off is on not having to take it. It's a two day class.
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PA has hunter and trapper classes, think they are about 16 hours or maybe a little less. Can't remember that far back, took my class in the early 60's
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want a CT hunting license you have to take the course no matter how old you are.If you let you license lapse for more than 5 years you have to take the test again.Welcome to the Communist state of CT.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pistoljim,

We do. 16 hrs of classroom and 4 hrs of practical. Where the instructors take the kids to a range and they handle a weapon (.22 rifle) safely, shoot that weapon safely, go on an obstacle course safely. All required in MN.

Nevada has a post 1960 date that you have to take it. If you are a first time hunter 47 years old, born on or after Jan 1, 1960, then you have to take it.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All things considered I would rather have all hunters take a hunter safety course than not. Where I live hunting is when you take high powered rifles into the woods and stay drunk for three days.
  • Options
    SW 357MagSW 357Mag Member Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    West Virginia does. Also a 16 hour class I believe and you must take it after 1970. You can get a workbook to do if you don't wish to take the class. Then you must take a test when you finish the class/workbook.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    pistoljim,

We do. 16 hrs of classroom and 4 hrs of practical. Where the instructors take the kids to a range and they handle a weapon (.22 rifle) safely, shoot that weapon safely, go on an obstacle course safely. All required in MN.

Nevada has a post 1960 date that you have to take it. If you are a first time hunter 47 years old, born on or after Jan 1, 1960, then you have to take it.

That would be great if they did that here. Ours is 16 hrs. in a classroom. I also like the online option that some have mentioned but they don't offer that here.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Montana does ...

You must have a hunting license to hunt any of Montana's game animals. To purchase a Montana hunting license, any person born after January 1, 1985 must show a certificate of completing a hunter education course from:

Montana; OR, Any other state or province. This law became effective October 1, 2003 ( MCA 87-2-105). Hunter education is NOT required if you were born on or prior to January 1, 1985.

A student must be at least 11 years old to become certified. This minimum age requirement ensures that the student is mature enough to understand the course material and physically strong enough to handle hunting equipment during class. There is no maximum age limit. Anyone is welcome to take the course, especially parents who want to accompany their child.

Classes are a minimum of 12 hours in length. You must attend all of the sessions and pass a final exam to become certified.
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can expect 2-3 hours of videos in your 16-hour course.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smokeeater 38
    Indiana has one, I'm not sure what the cut off is on not having to take it. It's a two day class.

Not necessarily two days. I believe it is an 8 hour program that some instructors offer in a single day.

I'm pretty sure the cut off date is born after 1/1/1986 or something pretty close to that.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wisconsin also has it, but last time I checked it was a 2 week program.
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Illinois has a 2 day class and it is well worth the time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    feenix,

Does Montana still have the supplemental Bow hunters course you have to pass for archery hunting? I thought that was a good idea too. I takes a lot more skill and carefull selection when hunting with a bow.
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been to hunter safety classes in Quebec, New Brunswick and Massachusetts ... I think they are a great idea for young and old! But I probably learned more about hunter safety from my Dad 55 years ago!
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The cutoff date here in Colorado is January 1, 1949.
  • Options
    bamafanbamafan Member Posts: 4,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in LA, 8 hours, plus a trip out to the range and shoot. Don't have to bring your own gun though, but I'd bring mine, just 'cause I like to shoot my own guns[;)]
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    In Washington State hunter education is required for those born after 1/1/72. The material covers safety, sportsmanship, and conservation/game management. The course duration is set by the instructor(s) but must be a minimum of 10 hours. To cover the course material in ten hours would leave no time for interuptions for such things as questions and definately no war stories. The evaluations cover 1.knowledge; 2.physical demonstration; 3. attitude.

I have been teaching hunter education for about 20 years. At present, my courses involve two weekends and course time is 12-15 hours + tests and live fire. the final part of the course is the students get to shoot a 22 handgun, 22 rifle, 308 rifle (with reduced loads); prior to the emphasis on non-toxic shot, students also got to shoot a 20 or 16 ga shotgun, but due to the price of non-damaging non-toxic shot, and considering that there is no charge to the students for the class, I've discontinued the shotguns.

The course involves much more than just common sense, and since parents are encouraged to attend with their kids, it's a rare class that doesn't have at least one parent comment that they learned a great deal.

In this part of the woods it isn't a course that you HAVE to take- rather you GET to take it.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    In New hampshire if you can't produce
    a previous hunting license from
    any state one has to take a hunter
    safety course, I've taken three with
    my god son and his brother.I've been
    hunting for 45yrs but my buddy went with
    his kids and I tagged along. It was a boat load
    of gun. 3 or 4 nites of class room and an all day
    saturday in the "field".I've had a certificate
    from Mass. since I was 18 when they first
    were introducing it. I reccommend everyone taking
    a least one course, besides the fun one
    always learns something from the speakers.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    feenix,

Does Montana still have the supplemental Bow hunters course you have to pass for archery hunting? I thought that was a good idea too. I takes a lot more skill and carefull selection when hunting with a bow.

Sandwarrior,

Below is an extract from the FWP website (http://fwp.mt.gov/default.html)

Bowhunters

A Montana bow and arrow license, plus the proper Montana hunting license, is required if you want to bowhunt during the special archery season. To purchase a bow and arrow license, you must:
    Show a certificate of completing the National Bowhunter Education Foundation ( http://www.nbef.org ) course from Montana or any other state or province; OR ,
    Show any prior year's bowhunting/archery stamp, tag, permit, or license from any state or province. If you cannot produce this license, you may sign an affidavit (a one time $5.00 fee), at any FWP office, stating that you previously purchased such a license. This allows you then to purchase a current year's Montana bow and arrow license.
    Note: All bowhunters born after January 1, 1985 must also show proof of completing a hunter education program, see above.

Sorry but I do not know of the supplemental bowhunters course. It was probably before my move here in MT (2003). Below is the only other thing being offered.

Advanced/Remedial Hunter Education

Anyone is welcome to take the on-line advanced hunter education program.
    Any person who has been convicted of a hunting violation and is required to complete the remedial hunter education.

Regards.
  • Options
    CoochCooch Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As has already been mentioned there is a class requirement here in Indiana. I was also told that in order to get an out of state license in surrounding states even old farts like me need to take it so I did with my nephew.

When I was 16 I would have protested the hell out of this. But in this day and age and given my experience with "weekend warriors" Or "Opening Day Experts"....I am glad to see it. And it isn't tough...I scored 98 out of 100 on the final and if it had mattered could have argued the one I missed!!!!

Plus it gave me something else to do with my nephew...always a good thing.
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I teach hunters Education here in New York State. It is a mandatory 10 hour class, but all my classes run 12 hours minimum. The course has been taught in NY State since the early 60's.

I encourage the parents of the students to attend if there is space for them. A little refresher and brushing up on things they have long forgotten about can't hurt. After all statistics show that it isn't the 11 & 12 year old students fresh out of there Hunters Education course that are having most of the accidents while in the field hunting. It is the older knuckle heads like us adults who think we know everything.

Trinity +++
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Feenix,

I think what you described is what the people had to go through. I never bowhunted when I lived out there. It was a one time deal too back when I moved there in '90 [:)], and was in effect until I permanently moved away to Iowa/Minnesota in '98. I hated to leave Montana [:(] but needed to get into a field that was much steadier than logging.