In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

If you're older than dirt, you'll remember . . .

dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
edited July 2007 in General Discussion
If you're older than dirt and lived in the city, you'll remember the milk man delivering milk and dairy to the door and picking up the returnable glass bottles. Also, there was a egg delivery man and a bread man making deliveries. There was also delivery from the pharmacy and the grocery stores.

We lived in the country and didn't have these services, but when we would go to stay with my grandparents, we were shocked to see how modern the city was and thought those services would last forever.

Comments

• Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    I think that would make you older than whatever came before dirt.[:D]
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    those services are comming back
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep,my grandparents lived in town and I was amazed that a truck came around and hauled your trash away.
  • Options
    MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley
    If you're older than dirt and lived in the city, you'll remember the milk man delivering milk and dairy to the door and picking up the returnable glass bottles. Also, there was a egg delivery man and a bread man making deliveries. There was also delivery from the pharmacy and the grocery stores.

We lived in the country and didn't have these services, but when we would go to stay with my grandparents, we were shocked to see how modern the city was and thought those services would last forever.

Actually, I remember this from my childhood in the early 1990s. We had a wooden box outside the door, and every few days we'd get a fresh delivery of milk and bread. These services still exist, but since most people already have to go to the grocery store once a week, why not just get it all done in one go.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    ... and mail TWICE a day - once in the MORNING and again
    in the AFTERNOON - by mailMEN!
    [:D]!
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fastcarsgofast
    I think that would make you older than whatever came before dirt.[:D]

Cars didn't have airconditioning in those days, and on a 100 degree day, we would talk the milkman into letting us climb in back of the truck and ride to the end of the road. Thought we were going to freeze to death!
  • Options
    kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    When I was growing up in Santa Monica in the early 1960s (I was born in 1955) we had our milk delivered and we purchased our bread products from the Helms Bakery truck which drove through an assigned route in our neighborhood. I remember that the bread on the truck was located in the center rear portion and that there were a series of drawers packed with doughnuts [:p]. Money was very tight in our immigrant household and even the few pennies for a doughnut was a major extravagance, but ever now and then my mother would purchase a few. Since we had only a single car in our family and my father needed it to go to work, home delivery of these basics made it possible for my mother to aviod a near two mile walk to the nearest market.
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we had POTOMAC FARMS dairy and BUNNIE bread deliveries
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, I remember those days. As a little kid I liked opening the bottle and scooping some of the cream off the top. Sipping that pure cream occasionally made for some loose stools.[:D]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    When I married my wife in 1983, milk man still came to her mom's house, along with the Charles Chip guy. When I went on my weekly summer visit to my great-grandparents back in the late 60's and early 70's, they didn't know what a milk man was. We went and got the milk straight from the "source." Nothing like getting slapped with a tail full of crap at 6:00 am to wake a kid up! Heck, even though they had indoor plumbing at the time, I still thought it was neat to go use their outhouse every time I had to go. That lasted until a wasp got me one summer on a very tender part of my body. [B)]
  • Options
    iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    ...and a/c in a car? Didn't know what that was. If we wanted to be cool, my 3 sisters and I sat in the bed of dad's truck everywhere we went. My first new vehicle was a 87 Ranger with no air. Didn't think I could afford it. It was a $250 option. [:o)]
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a song: "Milkman, Keep Those Bottles Quiet".
    They did make a racket early in the mornings.
    I remember horse drawn Sheffield milk wagons. They made sense having no idling engines when the wagons stopped every 50-100 ft at the next house. They existed till well after WW2.
    Dugans also delivered bread, packaged donuts and buns and eggs.
    There was often confusion in their favor on orders.
    Milk, cream and bakery items delivery was a convenience before shopping carts and two car families and a necessity during WW2 when ,if you had a car and an "A" stamp, five gallons per week didn't do much for you..
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remember when everybody had an Ice Card hanging on the front porch so the Ice Man would know what size block of ice to leave? [:D]

IceCard.jpg
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    Yes, I remember those days. As a little kid I liked opening the bottle and scooping some of the cream off the top. Sipping that pure cream occasionally made for some loose stools.[:D]

So you're the one who did that! If my mother where still alive, she'd come down to Texas and give you a whoopin. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Remember the 'dimmer button' on the floor of your
    car(s)?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zipperzap
    Remember the 'dimmer button' on the floor of your
    car(s)?

Hell, I remember when that's where the starter was. [:D]
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    So you're the one who did that! If my mother where still alive, she'd come down to Texas and give you a whoopin. [:D]She wouldn't have to, my mother took care of that![:D][:D]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    get_involvedget_involved Member Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kristov
    When I was growing up in Santa Monica in the early 1960s (I was born in 1955) we had our milk delivered and we purchased our bread products from the Helms Bakery truck which drove through an assigned route in our neighborhood. I remember that the bread on the truck was located in the center rear portion and that there were a series of drawers packed with doughnuts [:p]. Money was very tight in our immigrant household and even the few pennies for a doughnut was a major extravagance, but ever now and then my mother would purchase a few. Since we had only a single car in our family and my father needed it to go to work, home delivery of these basics made it possible for my mother to aviod a near two mile walk to the nearest market.

I remember all those drawers with doughnuts. I sure ate a lot of doughnuts in those days!
  • Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    Guess I'm even older that older than dirt because I remember when we had to go to the farmer to get the milk. There was no delivery service. You either bought it direct from the farmer or bought either real milk or the new fangled processed milk at the store. Take your own gallon glass bottles to the farmer and get them filled for 25 cents a gallon. I used to walk about a 1/4 mile to the barn and get 2 gallons every other day.
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    If your older than dirt you can remember going to the ice house for a block of ice for the ice box to keep the milk in [8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I remember when my uncle and aunt came out to Detroit to buy
    their caddies, back in '54, they had an 'electric eye' thingamabob
    that was mounted on the dash! It would 'sense' oncoming headlights
    at night and dim THEIR headlights!!!

... now THAT was 'slicker than snot!'
    [8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I remember when my uncle and aunt came out to Detroit to buy
    their caddies, back in '54, they had an 'electric eye' thingamabob
    that was mounted on the dash! It would 'sense' oncoming headlights
    at night and dim THEIR headlights!!!

... now THAT was 'slicker than snot!'
    [8D]

Yeah, except they didn't dim until you were about fifty yards from the other vehicle. The other vehicle would flash their lights a couple of times and then give you the brights. You were always driving into bright lights. Maybe that's why they don't use that now.
  • Options
    sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We had milk deliveries in the country when I was a kids. The Anderson/ Ericson Company, or AE, made deliveries up to the seventies I believe. Now we have the Schwann's man doing deliveries of frozen foods and ice creame. They have good food but pricy and their salesmen get a little pushy, so I had them stop coming.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We didn't have an ice house, but the ice man came every Friday with a new block. Us kids used to love it when on a hot day he would give us each a small piece of ice. [:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I used to carry - in a large hatbox - a large round mirror, in my
    great grandmother's car - on the back seat.

Whenever someone came up too close behind her with their bright
    beams on - she'd bark out the command to 'man the mirror!'

After the surprised driver would almost vear off the road, behind us,
    we'd all break out in a hearty and long laugh!

That was in the late 40's in/about Philadelphia!

... it never failed to work!
    [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I also remember the fire department used to open the hydrants for the kids to
    play in, down in the hot city, on August days!
  • Options
    acdoddacdodd Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Smith Bros still delivers milk today.
    I just bought a 69 Nova with a dimmer button on the floor.
    The good old days aren't all gone yet. Isn't that a country western song?
    AC
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thought the Smith Bros. used to sell cough dtops!
  • Options
    minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iluvguns

Nothing like getting slapped with a tail full of crap at 6:00 am to wake a kid up!

It was even worse when it was freezin! You didn't want to catch that thing and hold it between your shoulder and your ear and it'ud hurt like the dickens with that ice in it. [:D]

Allen
  • Options
    acdoddacdodd Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Must have been the other Smith Brother.[;)]
    The one in Auburn, WA sells milk.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about the Fuller Brush Man?
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley
    If you're older than dirt and lived in the city, you'll remember the milk man delivering milk and dairy to the door and picking up the returnable glass bottles.

My dad WAS the milkman, and he was making his deliveries with a HORSE drawn buggy when he met/married my mother.
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by acdodd

Must have been the other Smith Brother.[;)]
    The one in Auburn, WA sells milk.

I remember the little silver/grey insulated coolers on ours and other peoples front porch for the delivery driver to place the milk in. Smith Brothers delivery guy.
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    How about the horse drawn wagon with the driver yelling up and down the streets "Rag Man"
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    The Florsheim Man? The Fuller Brush Man? The Avon Lady? The Tin Man - sold and fixed pots and pans? The Rag Man? The Man who sold Knives and sharpened them? The Fishmonger? All were available in New York City into the late 50s, something I only saw when I visited my GrandMother - we had nothing like that in rural Texas.

I remember how amazing it was to have so much paved roads in NYC - seemed like most roads in Texas were two lanes of dirt or mud (depending on the season) - I remember my Mom driving over 100 mph on dirt roads of Texas in our brand New '57 Chevy.

Village Blacksmith, where this man with Enormous hands and Arms would "Play" with Fire, and bang metal, and make things and fix things...I watched him for hours...
  • Options
    dipitsdipits Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I must be older thaN THE REST OF YOU; AS i REMEMBER ALL PLUS.

gETTING WATER FROM THE SPRING : KEROSENE LAMPS ; NO PHONE SERVICE ; VERY FEW CARS ( WE DID NOT HAve one ) ' battery powered radio ; no blacktop road in town ( closest blacktop about 10 mi.)
  • Options
    GotteskriegerGotteskrieger Member Posts: 3,170 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i remember the truck looked like this:
    DM1950DivcoBorden.jpg

the name our our milk company was isaly's
  • Options
    tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
    edited November -1
    We even had Charlies Chips delivered to our door! But better than that Ralston's store had a big old truck and had darn near a complete grocery store in it!!! Even Guns and toys. Kerosene too! Plus what he didn't have you could order for next Saturday!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    dipits, I must be there close to ya as I can remember going to the spring after water, next house we lived in had a hand pump at the end of the sink. Kerosene lamps and a wood cookstove was all we had until I was about 8. Also remember going out thru the wood shed the outhouse. Most of the roads were tarred (not paved), except the one we lived on. Also remember in high school no one thought anything of a kid bringing his rifle or shotgun to school. We would stand them in the corner of the coat room and pick them up after school. Every fall I would have my .22 with me as I was running a trap line and would check part of it in the morning and part after school then hunt rabbits and grouse until supper time or as the days got shorter and time changed dark.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Crank phones were still around in the country - party lines
    provided a lot of gossips a lot to talk about amongst their
    friends.