In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Does chrome spray paint exist?

sabb0007sabb0007 Member Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2007 in General Discussion
My project of refinishing the used weights is going well, I'm using a wire brush on my cordless drill, krylon rust proof primer, and truck bed liner spray. They look pretty good, I'll post a pic when I'm done.

My question is the actual grip part of the dumbbells is also rusted and also the threads where the screw on part threads on is rusted. The wire brush doesn't work well in these areas. Not really sure what to do hear, don't have a sandblaster and I have a feeling the guy here in Monterey would charge me much more than they're worth to blast them.
So maybe the brushing I do will be good enough if I just spray over it? But anyways it would be nice if they had a chrome-y finish. Is there a spray paint that would work good enough and be durable enough to have weights scrape along it and get held in sweaty hands without peeling instantly?

Your wisdom is much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    chrome is a chemical treatment, so, its very difficult to duplicate, as for finish & resistance, nothong comes near.
    The good news! yes there is a spraypaint tht actually shines & looks like chrome, its a high gloss silver & works very well on plastic & some metals , & is down to the material been placed on ,finish..it is best laquered after to give it a resistance to 'wipe 'off effect as it seems to have a powder in the spray that comes off , with ease,when touched..
  • biglou250biglou250 Member Posts: 603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spray painting will work temporayily but will not last that long. I've heard of people using the round foam from handle bars for a softer grip or try a thin coat of bedliner.
  • rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you gonna lift em or hang them on the wall to look at? jeez
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    Yes. Go to a good hobby and craft store.

Out here we have Hobby Lobby and Michael's (both national chains). Both carry chrome-finished spray paint.
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    rogue_rob
    [:D][:D][:D]