In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What is everybody's problem?

schotzi1schotzi1 Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
edited May 2007 in General Discussion
No, not a complaint just a question. (I figured that subject would get read)[:)]

I have been buying some small stuff off of this auction site but never a gun. Why you ask? Well, a couple of the listed FFl dealers in my area are either rude or does not reply. But I did find one dealer I like and is actually wanting to "do the deal" but they charge $50.00.....by the time you add gun + shipping + transfer fee + background it would be cheaper to just buy it at a shop.

Here is my question then.....Why do so many people list their name to be a FFL dealer willing to do the deal but really don't want to do it when you actually talk to them or they never reply.

I really don't mean for this to soung like a gripe session. I am asking this for a reason? Is the paperwork really that much trouble or does it just get set aside or something, ETC?

I live in Tampa, Fl. and am interested in buying some guns but need an FFL dealer that wants do a transfer at a reasonable price.

Comments

• Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Your reason for not buying guns here is kinda like mine. I live in Orygun, and by the time you add in everybody's fees and shipping, a firearm costs anywhere from $75 to $125 more than the it can be bought for here. If I ever find a piece that I just GOTTA have, and I can't get it here, I will use GB.

Not only that, but it seems like the mechanisms for conflict resolution are not finely honed.

If I had more money, these would not be issues for me, and I could spend what money I have with the my friends at GB.

Doug
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the internet cut into dealers profits. to compensate, they raised their fees to make up the differences.
    guns use to be cheap before internet and websites. but everyone wanted a piece of the pie, making internet deals moreexpensive catoring mosty to those who could afford the increases and were willing to pay premiums to get what they want.
    all in all, the negitive result is that its inflated true gun values nationwide and mislead people with junk that their gun was a good as someone elses that was authentic.

as it stands, nothing beats holding a gun in ones hands to see flaws. the net has encouraged many gun sellers to pawn off crap to unsuspecting buyers and save the good ones for their gun shows and stores.(pick of the liter)
    its easier to pawn crap when the buyer is 3000 miles away rather than yelling at you across a counter. an too, sellers can avoid the haggle and target just those with cash...which is all they really want. trust me, they dont want to waste breath on just a window shopper. its your bucks they want.

was a time when ffl transfers were free. it was considered part of being a dealer. it would be stupid to think that a dept store cashier anywhere would charge you for making him open his register, yet millions do it every day now in gun stores.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Why do so many people list their name to be a FFL dealer willing to do the deal but really don't want to do it when you actually talk to them or they never reply.

Because they are *. They think it cuts into their profit margin. If they were halfway intelligent, they would realize that it's like found money. They have invested NOTHING. The government sends 4473's for FREE! We have to have the licence anyway, and it only takes 5 minutes or so to call it in.
    I make $240 an hour at $20 a pop for transfers. Of course, I don't actually choke the register as I don't do them at that rate, but you get the idea.

People are just stupid.

[xx(]
  • gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    schotzi, I live north of tampa and have some very good dealers around me for transfers. Pats Pawn in leesburg and The great outdoors pawn in bushnell. I have bought many guns on gunbroker and never have had one cost me over 25$ to transfer. I also forgot Dan's in Inverness.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    $10 is what I pay my ffl to do a transfer....sorry.
  • schotzi1schotzi1 Member Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gjshaw
    schotzi, I live north of tampa and have some very good dealers around me for transfers. Pats Pawn in leesburg and The great outdoors pawn in bushnell. I have bought many guns on gunbroker and never have had one cost me over 25$ to transfer. I also forgot Dan's in Inverness.

Thank you, I will check into these places. $25.00 is fair. THANKS
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    No problem here - son is an FFL holder.[:D][:D][:D]