In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

RV electrical ??

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in General Discussion
Need to replace my 12 volt rv batteries since they wont go a day and are 6 years old. Going to go the 2-6 volt way. My question is that when the rv is hooked up to power (110) and the batteries are charging thru the inverter, wouldn't the inverter be putting out 12 volts to charge the batteries? Does a person need to change the inverter also? Thanks.

Comments

• grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Depends on how you hook up the Batteries.
    12-volt-6-volt-battery-wiring-1.JPG
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    Depends on how you hook up the Batteries.

The batteries are after the charger..
  • dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it would depend on if you have the batters in series or parrallel. One way is 6 volts and the other is 12 volts.
    edited November -1
    I get the series and parallel thing, but if the inverter is designed to convert 110 into 12v then does it charge back thru the same cables that the power goes out?
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    yes toad the system is still 12 volts all of the output from the batteries is 12volt and the RV Inverter is wired to the batteries
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would you go to two 6 volt batteries instead of one 12 volt battery? Makes no sense electrically or financially.

Merc
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mercury
    Why would you go to two 6 volt batteries instead of one 12 volt battery? Makes no sense electrically or financially.

Merc

http://www.rvdoctor.com/2010/08/rv-batteries-6-or-12-volts-that-is.html
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not get it either. For example..

Two 6 volt 100 amp hour batteries will only produce 100 amp hours at 12 volts when wires in series.

Two 12 volt 100 amp hour batteries will produce 200 amp hours at 12 volts when wired parallel.

Why would you want to use two 6 volt batteries when you can double your amp hour output with two 12 volt batteries that take up the same space?
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stay with your existing 12v battery arrangement and forget the BS you are hearing and reading about converting to 6 volt bats.

Some of the old foreign auto's had 6 volt bats connected in series for 12v and it was a very bad idea. 6 volt auto bat's are going or have gone way of dinosaurs. Anyone that says you need 6 volt bats is full of BS and probably a battery salesman, (the 6 volt person saying so has brown spots around his mouth and it won't wipe off, it's permanent BS on his lips)[:)]

6 volt bats in series are only as strong as the weakest bat and 12v bats in parallel are only as strong as the weakest bat.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with the red hook up illustrated, you will be very happy G5 batteries last a long time and cycle deeply.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Think he is talking about some special 6 volt deep cycle batteries like used in golf carts. Supposed to be better.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743
    Stay with your existing 12v battery arrangement and forget the BS you are hearing and reading about converting to 6 volt bats.

Some of the old foreign auto's had 6 volt bats connected in series for 12v and it was a very bad idea. 6 volt auto bat's are going or have gone way of dinosaurs. Anyone that says you need 6 volt bats is full of BS and probably a battery salesman, (the 6 volt person saying so has brown spots around his mouth and it won't wipe off, it's permanent BS on his lips)[:)]

6 volt bats in series are only as strong as the weakest bat and 12v bats in parallel are only as strong as the weakest bat.

I understand where you are coming from on the 6v auto batteries. What I'm going to do is go with golf cart type batteries, which cycle a lot better. The 6v batteries have solid lead in them and hold power longer, rather than the 12 with porous lead. Read the first paragraph on my link and it makes sense. A good 6v deep cycle can be $100-$350 each though.

Click on the battery link within the link:

http://www.loveyourrv.com/trojan-battery/
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anything you need to know about an RV you can find it here at the address below. They're nice civilized people that won't make fun of you over there or insult you just for asking like some places will. [:)]
    http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/26.cfm
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa

Two 6 volt 100 amp hour batteries will only produce 100 amp hours at 12 volts when wires in series.

Two 12 volt 100 amp hour batteries will produce 200 amp hours at 12 volts when wired parallel.

Why would you want to use two 6 volt batteries when you can double your amp hour output with two 12 volt batteries that take up the same space?

I have mine hooked to an AB switch. Normally that switch is on A+B so they both charge or power the system at the same time But if I am dry camping I can run the first one till it's dead and then switch to the second. (and then independently charge the first one from a solar panel or the truck.) In storage both batteries are disconnected....

518sbdVyTkL._SX355_.jpg
  • TombstonejimTombstonejim Member Posts: 190
    edited November -1
    If you have them in series as shown with the red ones they are in fact acting as a single 12 v battery and should be charged with 12v.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Toad: "Inverters, in their most basic form, operate similar to battery chargers in reverse: they take 12vDC power from a battery and run it through modern circuitry to change it into 120vAC current."

http://www.batterysales.com/inverterfaq.cfm
    What's next?
  • cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the early 60s John Deere used up to 4 6volt batteries on the 5010 and 5020 tractors the starting &charging system was 24 volt. Worked ok until you started adding radios, water coolers then you had trouble keeping all 4 charged. Stay away from 2 or more 6 volt batteries to get 12 volts.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both my John Deere farm tractors have 2 X 6 volt hooked in series. If there was a suitable conversion, I'd be using it. The first battery seems to get overcharged while the second suffers from undercharging.
    I've been told that 2 x 6 volts in series turn out more amps to the starter but I'm not convinced nor do I think it's a viable solution to the need for higher amps at the starter.
    Since a camper isn't a high amp drain but a steady low amp draw, I don't see the advantage of 2 x 6 volts in series vs. 2 x 12 volts in parallel.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My antique John Deer two cylinder originally had to 6 volt batteries. It is a 1956 model. switched to one high amp 12 volt many years ago. Cheaper, simpler, and no problems since. The next best thing I did was to install a GM alternator and convert it form positive ground to negative ground.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun

I have mine hooked to an AB switch. Normally that switch is on A+B so they both charge or power the system at the same time But if I am dry camping I can run the first one till it's dead and then switch to the second. (and then independently charge the first one from a solar panel or the truck.) In storage both batteries are disconnected....

518sbdVyTkL._SX355_.jpg

This A/B switch is not useable with only two 6v bats in series so as to select just one bat.(would need 4 6v bats to get eq to 2 12v bats.
    Switch is a good thing for two 12v bats in parallel as you mention.

Also 6v bats in series does not add the amp/hrs (voltage adds) where as 12 bats in parallel the amps/hrs of each 12v bat adds. Amp hours are what you are trying to gain.
    The 6v bats toad is referencing costs about $363 each plus tax and maybe shipping and new cross connecting wiring which will cost approx. $40.
    In answer to your question, the inverter will be ok and the charger ok, UNLESS some Bubba starts connecting things same as the 12v bat's or makes wrong connections and causes the inverter and charger to flame out. If you had the space available it would be more user friendly and $$ ahead to add more 12v bats in parallel for more a/hrs.
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the 12volt solutions. Availability and familiarity for parts and diagnostics prove positive in the long run...

RV's like Marine electric systems have unique issues. Keep it simple.
    "What is truth?'
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun

518sbdVyTkL._SX355_.jpg

This A/B switch is not useable with only two 6v bats in series so as to select just one bat.(would need 4 6v bats to get eq to 2 12v bats.
    Switch is a good thing for two 12v bats in parallel as you mention.

Also 6v bats in series does not add the amp/hrs (voltage adds) where as 12 bats in parallel the amps/hrs of each 12v bat adds. Amp hours are what you are trying to gain.
    The 6v bats toad is referencing costs about $363 each plus tax and maybe shipping and new cross connecting wiring which will cost approx. $40.
    In answer to your question, the inverter will be ok and the charger ok, UNLESS some Bubba starts connecting things same as the 12v bat's or makes wrong connections and causes the inverter and charger to flame out. If you had the space available it would be more user friendly and $$ ahead to add more 12v bats in parallel for more a/hrs.

My post was to amplify on LesWV comments questioning why have 2 six volts at half the amp hours. Certainly an AB switch on 2 six volts would be as worthless as the hind teats on a boar.