In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

DO NOT Pull Away From the Dock

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,222 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in General Discussion
IMG_1215_zpskqnnm83n.jpg

IMG_1217_zpsnyzrrnfu.jpg
Until loading has been completed.

Comments

• diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kinda a lock out/tag out.

Doesn't the loading dock have an under locking arm on it?
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,251 ******
    edited November -1
    how often is that a concern?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a MAJOR concern. Using a forklift to shift cargo, there have been numerous injuries where trailer shifts, or someone tries to drive away, and forklift is driving over the dockplate.

And yes, there IS a system (one brand is DockLock) where an arm attached to the dock swings up and grabs the underrun bar. They are fairly scarce. Some places it is hard enuff to get them to put chocks out.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Unpaid tickets ? LOL
  • SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    Depends on if you're a driver for Swift or owner operated.[:D]quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I'm loading the truck I always make sure the driver is inthe warehouse where I can see him, not sitting in the cab....
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,251 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SG
    Depends on if you're a driver for Swift or owner operated.[:D]quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

[:D]
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you do a google search on this subject you will find an alarming number of dock accidents due to driver stupidity.

Even scarier is a driver backing up without verifying it is clear. When I was leased to TRL many moons ago we had a husband/wife team screw up. Husband was opening trailer doors, wife backed up squishing her husband on the dock. Had another accident in Iraq involving a TCN squishing a driver on a dock.

Why is it so difficult for some people to think SAFETY FIRST?
  • fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Working on the loading dock at Duke Power once, my co-worker buddy was using a forklift to unload a trailer. The driver had parked against the dock, then unhooked his tractor to take it around to the garage.
    My buddy ran the forklift in and the trailer rolled about 50 feet across the lot which was slightly down hill. Luckily he was going in and not on the way out. He just rode it down. When he jumped out of the trailer, I said "who is that white boy coming out?" (He was not a white boy).[:D]
    Needless to say, no more unhooking tractors at the dock.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,541 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D]

I worked on a dock for many years, driving a forklift also drove the yard truck switching out trailers ,
    I have seen many bumpers torn off the trailers and dock locks broken also forklifts momentum push the trailers away from the dock if not chocked or locked in .
    a few forklift's and drivers go for a ride into the container yard in the back of the trailers [:D]
    forklifts suspended between the docks and trailers or just dumped between the trailer and dock . I think if it could be done I have seen it . ( lucky no one was ever hurt .)
    even with the go no go lights flashing and radio contact mistakes happened .
    the chocks I have seen dragged across the container yard .
    nothing like having a trailer dolly give out while your loading it and get that free fall feeling
  • KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's kinda odd that you mentioned this. Just last week I was talking with a guy that was loading a trailer with a forklift and the driver pulled out while he was half in the trailer- half on the dock. He was shaken up, the forklift was damaged but he was not physically injured.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,637 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by diver-rig
    Kinda a lock out/tag out.

Doesn't the loading dock have an under locking arm on it?

Yes, ours did. We had to repair/replace the ones where the driver drove off with the lock attached to his trailer.
    Even had one trailer landing gear fold with a fork truck inside.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We just used wheel chocks. I can also see that someone might forget about these once the loading/unloading was completed.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wheelchocks. Old school, but they worked.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,222 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This chock is obviously designed to blow several tires if the dumb * driver tries to pull out. It is a good idea, we need to protect fork lift drivers from dumb * truck drivers. It is not visible in the pic but, this chock is also secured with a padlock so that the driver cannot remove it.

"Working on the loading dock at Duke Power once, my co-worker buddy was using a forklift to unload a trailer. The driver had parked against the dock, then unhooked his tractor to take it around to the garage.
    My buddy ran the forklift in and the trailer rolled about 50 feet across the lot which was slightly down hill. Luckily he was going in and not on the way out. He just rode it down. When he jumped out of the trailer, I said "who is that white boy coming out?" (He was not a white boy).
    Needless to say, no more unhooking tractors at the dock."

This statement leaves me baffled. This is impossible.
    First of all, when the truck unhooks from the trailer, the landing gear must be cranked down. So that, there are 8 wheels at the back of the trailer, but no wheels in front! How can a trailer roll, with two, 3 inch vertical steel pipes holding up the front end?

When the engineers designed the modern 18-wheeler, many decades ago, they set them up with air brakes. There are two brake lines coming from the tractor. The blue line provides air to the trailer, so that the trailer brakes will work.
    But, the red line provides constant air to the trailer, to release the trailer brakes! When the trailer is setting there, without a tractor hooked up, and there is no air provided to the red line, the trailer brakes are always locked "on."

If, as occasionally happens, a driver makes a "bad hook" and while driving down the road, the trailer disengages, the red line snaps, and the trailer brakes automatically engage. A brilliant safety feature.
    The trailer is rolling along without a truck, but it won't roll very far as the brakes are locked up.
    If a trailer is parked without a tractor on a hill, it won't move, because the brakes are locked.

For example, if a driver hooks up to a trailer, and does not connect the red line, he cannot pull the trailer one inch. Unless he can drag the trailer with the wheels locked.
    Trailer brakes without a truck attached, to provide air on the red line, are locked tight.

If what you say it true, y'all had a fluke trailer which had defective brakes.

In fact, at some terminals, including the big Coca Cola plant in s. Atlanta near I 75 and 285, they require the driver to park his trailer at a dock, then he must disconnect his tractor, and air lines, from the trailer, and pull forward several feet. Tractor disconnected from the trailer.
    This is a very effective way to prevent accidents at the dock.

Some docks simply require the driver to remove his red air line, and the forklift guy puts a lock on the red air line at the trailer. Once again, no air line from the tractor, that trailer cannot move.

Very very few terminals have the hook that comes out and hooks the rear axle of the trailer to the dock. I would say, about 1 in 75 docks.
    About one in ten docks require chocks, these usually are rubber chocks that you could drive over and do no harm.

About one in 30 docks have steel chocks that if, you drive over, you will blow tires.

This is the first dock I ever have seen that has such a steel chock, with a steel pipe and a padlock.
    edited November -1
    Allen, older trailers didn't have "maxis" and modern trailers with "Maxis" can still roll with out of adjust brakes. Properly adjusted brakes will hold under normal circumstances but if the brake system is out of adjust, "S-Cam" bushings wore or even a stuck QRV can allow the brakes to not hold. I went to hook one of our brand new East trailers and chased it across the yard, brakes were caged. That landing gear is on skids, those plates at the bottom of the legs. They are not designed to dig in but are made to slide. Ever hook a trailer and be off a tad bit and th trailer scooted sideways? If those skids dug in landing gear would bend and could fail.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am missing the part where the truck driver visually checks to make sure the trailer is loaded or unloaded, and speaks with the dock supervisor prior to moving? Apparently that is a difficult thing to do? There are morons in every field of work.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting... Safety first !
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was there a tractor attached to that trailer? Looks like a device to prevent a parked trailer from being pushed away from the dock during loading/unloading.
    edited November -1
    Yes it happened. I was standing on the dock and saw it. The landing gear had little wheels on it, I think, not a flat bottom. This was in 1968 by the way.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau
    Yes it happened. I was standing on the dock and saw it. The landing gear had little wheels on it, I think, not a flat bottom. This was in 1968 by the way.

Yep, lots of trailers had steel wheels on the landing gear, mostly a container chassis setup. And Maxi brakes aka Type 3030 brake chambers aka spring brakes were not used much back then. I am just going off of memory from working in the truck shops back in the 80s, thats many many cases of beer and bottles of cheap whiskey ago!
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    When I'm loading the truck I always make sure the driver is inthe warehouse where I can see him, not sitting in the cab....
    Excellent policy.
    There's been a few over the years I'd like to have locked into a cell beside the doc!
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

Nearly every warehouse I have saw has some type of locking procedure for trucks. WATTS Regulator had a device that locked onto the DOT bumper that the forklift operator activates before he started loading the trailer.

It was not used to stop the driver from driving away. It was used to keep the truck from shifting or rolling due to the quick start/stop motions from the forklift.
    edited November -1
    "Was there a tractor attached to that trailer? Looks like a device to prevent a parked trailer from being pushed away from the dock during loading/unloading."

Yes my tractor was attached to that trailer in the pics.
    That device is designed to blow several tires if the driver tries to pull away. And it would do, and probably break a rim as well.

I have been in the industry for 6 years, have never seen landing gear with wheels on them.
    That helps explain that story.
    Landing gear with wheels are now Gone With the Wind and I can understand why.

I always try to check to make sure I am clear to leave a dock. I always try to walk into the warehouse and see if everything is clear. Most warehouses don't want you back there but I just barge in, and usually can. Look into my trailer and make sure it is loaded and no fork lift on board.
    If there is a security guard to run me off, Plan B.
    That is, usually I can stand on the ground and look inside the trailer and make sure the trailer is clear of a fork lift.

In the case of this trailer, two days ago in Chattanooga, the fork lift driver himself came out and handed me the paperwork to sign. I saw him remove the padlock and that fiendish steel chock. Obviously, that trailer was ready to roll.

I am diligent and try my best to not harm a dock worker. We are all part of the same team, trying to deliver the cargo that makes America work.
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Just to be clear, the Duke Power Operations Center has a dock that all the service trucks back up to for loading what they need each day, (transformers, wire, misc. hardware). The trucks that deliver to the warehouse are (or were, I don't know what they do now), company trucks that deliver everything to the warehouse from other locations. It was pretty much un-supervised except for the three or four guys that worked in the warehouse. Back then they also sold appliances (refrigs., ovens, water heaters) that we unloaded and stored.
    On the day my buddy rolled off with the trailer as I recall he was unloading a few pallets of transformers. He was also rolling towards a huge power sub-station, I doubt the trailer had enough momentum to get thru the fence but it looked scary. [8D]
    Damn, almost 50 years ago. And I still remember my short time in that warehouse. Can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday. [:I]
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I worked in a DuPont cellophane plant and the main ingredient in cellophane is wood pulp. Originally we got our pulp from the West coast and from the Southern states. Towards the last they started getting pulp from Canada. DuPont's dock rules were, chock the wheels, shut off the tractor and ring in the keys. The Canadians had some really junky trucks. One driver fussed that if he shut off his truck it would never start again. They told him do it or go home.

In the 60s DuPont had it's own truck fleet for delivery, however they discovered J.B. Hunt, CRST and Schnieder and things went way down hill after that. We had a few horror stories.

One CRST driver jumped out of his truck and came into the guard shack and said, "This is the first I've been out of that truck in over a week". He didn't need to tell us.

Another time a woman that had to be 8 months pregnant pulled up shut it off and said, "There better be somebody here that can back this thing, because I can't". She had been team driving with her husband and the company had split them up with another truck.
    standard.jpg
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,541 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we used that in one of our training classes as shock value ,
    oh I have seen more than a few sets of forks sticking out of a trailer [:D][:D]
    also many sets of trailer tire destroyed dragging them out to the container yard with the brakes on making some real nice black marks and flat spots where the tread used to be

quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Yeah, sometimes there is a boo-boo with the forklift.....

https://mballestero.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/bomb-on-forklift.jpg
  • CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by retroxler58
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    Excellent policy.
    There's been a few over the years I'd like to have locked into a cell beside the doc!

When I am driving the tow motor (aka forklift) I usually work with the driver to see how he wants the load distributed. When we have a full truck, it is a wide variety of heavy and light and I will load it to his preference. Usually we put the heavy stuff over the drive wheels and the lighter stuff in the back.

Most of the time we ship LTL and only have a 2-5 pallets, but SHOT and NRA we often have a full truck.