In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

For you havc guys

4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
edited November 2015 in General Discussion
My home unit drain line keeps getting stopped up, take god the last AC guy put a float switch, but I used a shop vac, I tried to make a snake out of .042 safety wire, I finally got it clear, then I poured some mureatic acid, followed by 5 gallons of hot water, what works best for keeping the lime and calcium buildup out of this line? This line is inside the slab foundation

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,999 ******
    edited November -1
    Oakie,take a call on line 3,,,[;)][;)][;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    On the drain outside, I ended up putting a hose coupler, which I put one of those screen to keep the frogs out, but the build up, after the acid I got pretty good flow
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    this is your condensate drain you are talking about correct ?
    they sell biocide tablets that you drop in pan to help prevent buildup and I recommend you flush the line with fresh water monthly, if it clogs you can use compressed air to blow line open but make sure you put extension on air valve and insert in drain and plug around opening with rag before blowing air in line or you will get blowback sprayed all over.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Where can I buy the tablets
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 46270
    Where can I buy the tablets
    Pretty much any hardware/home depot,lows.
    Damn near everyone has them Brownie.
    A little shot of chlorox in the pan ever few months don't hurt either.
    If U go with the tabs,read the directions.They don't last very long and need replaced pretty often.
    DOn't ever spray bleach,acid or anything into or onto the coils or any other part of your A/C.
    Carefully,if at all,try to pour just a bit of diluted chlorine drectly into the pan.
    It's all corrosive and will eat your unit up if sprayed on any metal parts.
    I forgot to add that most window units today have a "sling ring" on the condenser fan to keep the outside coil damp and help it with cooling.
    A good reason to not put anything corrosive in the pan. The ring of the fan slings water .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Where the drain comes out of the coil, I've got a 90 degree that heads down, on the top the last time I had a new air handler installed, he put a float switch, so when the lines blocked it shuts the unit off, I put a funnel down and pour the acid straight down the pvc
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Use chlorox next time man,It'll work better.
    Only the window shakers have the sling-ring fans so,U'll be good dosing the line bi monthly w/bleach.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The crap that came out was like stome
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The crap in an AC condensate line usually GREW there. It is a mix of mold and crud. Bleach will do the job of killing the crap.

I use a wet/dry shop vac to suck out the line, pour quart of hot water with a 1/2 cup of bleach directly into the condensate line, let set for 5 minutes, flush with another qt of hot water.

In summer I change filters every 30 days, clean out the drain at same time.
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    Your condensate line won't have calcium or lime in it as it is basically distilled water. As others have said use chlorine products to kill the sludge that does grow in the line.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brownie, it is not calcium or lime build up, it is sludge. Cut an air vent, or "tee" into the line. Put tablets in the pan and blow the crud out of the line through the "tee". Used compressed air. Cut the "tee" between the unit and the trap. The water seems to be not flowing very well out of the unit and is lying there and creating a sludge build up. The screen you installed on the end, might cause you some grief, but if it helps keeping the frogs out, that's fine. The "tee" will also induce some air in the line and keep the water flowing.Chlorine or draino will also help keep the sludge down. If you have pets that shed, change your filters more often. They are usually 30 day filters and should be changed once a month. Pet hair will clog up filters and the ac coil real quick.Oakie
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    May want to check with your AC manufacturer. A lot of the newer Air Handler Units do not recommend 50/50 mix of vinegar or bleach for they can cause premature oxidation and degradation.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The pills are OK I wonder could you place some copper or silver in the pan to prevent the bacteria growth?
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bleach mixed in a 10:1 ratio should be fine to use just avoid getting any on styrofoam and after use rinse with tap water or distilled water and you should be OK. tablets are to help prevent build up, you can usually get at most places that sell ac products, just use a few in the pan like 5-6 or you can also get like a dose pak that is formulated to last 1 month.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both my units drain into a condensate pump in the basement along with a 60 qt per day dehumidifier. I drop a biocide tab into it when I change filters. The line still scooges up every so often. Once in 8 yrs so far for me, but I found where the line was spliced the last time it happened. easy fix. Hopefully the tabs will help more.