In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dreading

Bubba JoelBubba Joel Member Posts: 5,161
edited June 2015 in General Discussion
Left knee replacement tomorrow AM.. Scheduled surgery time 7:30am.. Be glad to get through this.

Whats bad is they took me off all pain meds and arthritis meds.. Hurting now, hope it gets better..

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had it done to the right knee. It turned out real well. It is a tough recovery, be sure to do all the physical therapy. You will learn to despise your physical therapist.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I heard that you can cry through the pain. lol
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    They are getting pretty good with this replacement surgery . Prayers said for some relief and an easy recuperation.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife had both done at the same time. She was 53 at the time.

100% recovery and can walk all day. The scars are there but she is proud of them.

A few tips:

- Do all the physical therapy you can and if its not hurting its not working.

- Get the machine that bends you knee. They work great and will speed up your recovery.

- Look at a recumbent stationary bike to ride after your recovery. My wife swears by it and she still does 45 min on every morning before going to work.

- Keep moving it as much as you can. Even after recovery walk as much as you can.

Good luck its a mean procedure and you are going to be in pain but it will end.
    RLTW

• Options
    Irish 8802Irish 8802 Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had Left knee replaced 9/11/07,agree with the previous posts.I must confess I told him D Day was June 6,That did not stop the torture..Right knee acting up,hopefully I can get by till I shuffle off this mortal coil.
  • Options
    texaswildmantexaswildman Member Posts: 2,215 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had knee replaced twice and a hip replacement. It will be painful, but it will get better. As several have already said - DO THE THERAPY!!! In fact, do it at home too. I did in home for 3 weeks and then talked the doc into letting me go to rehab at a physical therapy center. He didn't want me to drive, but... Was back at work in 3 weeks instead of 6-8 weeks. Take the pain meds about 45 minutes prior to rehab visits. Good luck....
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My right knee is a year and a half old now. I used the GB app to buy a new S&W while in the hospital. They will keep you on plenty of Oxy to dull the pain. Worst part is that stuff also constipates you. Take all the laxatives religiously and then some!!! Good luck, it will solve a lot of pains in places other than your knee.
  • Options
    cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    my wife had her left one done on jan 29. keep the ice machine on it when down it helps a lot. as said the pt is pain full but won't kill you she made an appointment thursday when i got the stitches out of my shoulder to start the process on her right. praters asked for you and your care giver.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    My right knee is a year and a half old now. I used the GB app to buy a new S&W while in the hospital. They will keep you on plenty of Oxy to dull the pain. Worst part is that stuff also constipates you. Take all the laxatives religiously and then some!!! Good luck, it will solve a lot of pains in places other than your knee.

+ 1000 on the laxatives. When I got home, I started on softeners then, after a couple of days, on to the laxatives. Those narcotics bound me up big time.
    I've had 3 hip replacements. Left once and the right twice.
    If you don't hate the therapists after a session, you are not doing it right. [;)]
    Good luck to you on a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just think how many crippled people we must have had before knee, hip replacements?
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    Just think how many crippled people we must have had before knee, hip replacements?

They gutted it out or walked with a cane.
    RLTW

• Options
    Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prayer for you from here.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98

Both of my femur heads died when I was 34.
    I would be bed ridden if not for being able to get them replaced.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    My uncle had his right knew replaced several years ago and it totally transformed his quality of life for the better. He's hiking, fishing and traveling, now with no pain.

I can tell you from my arm and wrist surgeries that PT is absolutely vital to a full and speedy recovery and don't let your insurance company cut the visits short...You'll need them all.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks all.

This dr and I'm assuming all do it, puts pain meds in with the new knee. I'm hearing it reduces the pain a great deal.

I hope so.

Thanks for all the advice. Will be in hospital 3 to 4 days and Medicare will pay for 10 days or 2 weeks of in house PT. Was hoping I wouldn't have to stay that long. I hate to be tied down and not be able to travel..
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck on the knee surgery. Prayers for you pain and successful operation.
    What's next?
  • Options
    tneff1969tneff1969 Member Posts: 6,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blessings sent, hopefully when it's all over with you will be doing cartwheels. [:D][:D]
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, even 50 years ago a lot of us would have just been crippled up old people. The summer before surgery I hobbled around Jerusalem and Petra and Yerevan in pain at every step. It was worth it, but after the PT my therapists got gifts not hate. Find the best you can Joel and work hard at the exercises!
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Speedy recovery. When my Mom had her hip done it made such a difference, she went right ahead and scheduled the other one. That was 15 yrs ago or more. Still going strong.