In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Any of you guys ever put down engineered wood floo

austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,929 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in General Discussion
I am redoing two of the bedrooms . I was planning on painting and re carpeting but Wifey and daughter think we should do hardwood and area rugs.
Years ago I had the entire downstairs done with genuine hardwood. But for these two bedrooms my daughter has already picked out a specific color of an engineered floor.

Comments

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I pulled carpet out of a few houses (helping a friend "flip" them). We used laminate, reassembled wood and solid wood in various houses. There's not a great deal of skill needed- primarily planning where the joints will be and fitting the points of contact with walls and openings. Main thing is to make sure the piece you are putting down fits tightly and correctly against the preceding piece. If a piece gets out of line the remainder of pieces will only get worse.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's recent news on this stuff from China having too much formaldehyde in it.
    Lumber liquidators was named. They're gonna have to unload it somewhere
    so look into it before you get started.
    Outgassing of formaldehyde from plastics isn't new.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,929 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    There's recent news on this stuff from China having too much formaldehyde in it.
    Thank you, I appreciate the heads up... I just googled that and I found about four stories from early May stating LL has stop selling flooring from China. I will double check to make sure whatever we buy is not from China.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The engineered flooring is pretty easy to put down. Just make sure that you open the boxes and let it acclimate just like you would with solid wood flooring for a week or two before putting it down. Ideally you should have the moisture in the wood within 2-4% of what is in your subfloors. By getting the moisture in the wood to equilibrium with the house you'll minimize the amount the wood will expand and contract. Put down a good vapor barrier, I use Aqua-Bar (SP?) paper. I only lay out the vapor barrier one row at a time so that it's not getting torn up ahead of where I'm laying the wood. Be sure to start your first row as straight as you can get it, then everything else will be easy.
    Once everything is prepped and ready you should be able to knock out two bedrooms in one day. I did a job once in a very expensive 'cabin' and it had a HUGE living room. I had two boys that were laying out wood in front of me and we covered 950 sq. ft. in one day. It was a long day, but just one.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35

Do a little more research. The "story" was run by 60 minutes and was a complete fabrication like everything else on 60 minutes