In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What does actual shipping charge mean to you

foofoo Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
edited June 2014 in General Discussion
I had a conversation with someone recently regarding what folks on GB consider it to mean when an auction specifies "Buyer pays actual shipping". With out stirring anyone up I am curious what that means to different folks, Buyers and Sellers.
*Does it mean exactly that: ie, you will be charged exactly what the seller is charged by the shipper and thats all?
*Does it mean you will be charged the shipping cost plus a small handling charge?
*Does it mean the seller will charge you the actual shipping cost to them and any of their fees, including those charged from their FFL to ship?
*Should the seller include what they intend, actual shipping to include?

I'm curious to see if there is a consensus

I believe it can be somewhat vague and lead to misunderstandings, what are some other thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actual shipping charge to me means the actual cost that a carrier will charge for shipping the item to the buyer or his agent and, of course, this will be determined by a number of factors such as which shipper will be used and how quickly the buyer would like to have the item. This further means to me that the seller needs to figure out as close as possible (an approximation) what the package is going to cost him when the item is actually mailed, and it is this price that the buyer would have to agree to in order to make a deal. Now, if a seller uses the terms "actual shipping cost" to cover packaging materials as well, then they should stipulate such added costs in their advertising. One other point might be "insurance cost" in that some sellers will not accept any responsibility for any item they sell once the package is turned over to a shipper. Which means they do not bother themselves with whether or not the buyer gets the item as advertised.
    What's next?
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If Clinton speak has advanced to the point that "actual shipping charge" has to be defined, the language is dead and we have no way to communicate. When words no longer have a meaning which is generally accepted by the population words have no meaning and nothing means anything.

foo has a legitimate question. I just think it's a damned shame that some people posing as honest are somewhat less than honest.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    Gunman760Gunman760 Member Posts: 140 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the term actual shipping cost. What I mean when I list an auction is that the buyer will pay the actual shipping costs from UPS. I do not add anything for packaging and making sure the item will arrive as it was packed. I think it is only good business to do so. I will also ask for their zip code so I can be as accurate as possible.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tend to ask what are the "TOTAL" charges are for shipping to my area Before I bid.

Seen a few in the past that try and cheat, IE the item is 1$ shipping is $399.99.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    since boxes are free, bubble wrap is free, packing tape is free, what shipping price is printed out on the label is all that should be paid
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I was Naive when I first started selling on Gun Broker. What I was trying to get across to the Anyone bidding is"That I would ship By the carrier that they wanted The options they wanted In a container furnished by me to avoid damage in shipping.Thus if they bid on a item They would only Pay out of pocket what it cost me to ship to them .
    There would be NO handling charge but if they wanted overnight shipping it would cost more than GROUND. I would ship signature required /Insure for value unless they chose not to pay those fees. I soon found out This was a Turn off to many bidders because others that stated ACTUAL cost seemed to cover some very strange claimed cost on behalf of the shipper.. I changed mt write up on Items I sell. I also asked questions Via Either Email or phone of any item I Bid on if I had any question on shipping cost.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It means email the seller before bidding because his definition is driving my cost.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Kimi,

I agree with everything you wrote. Actual means actual. But other factors also play into the costs, insurance etc. For instance, I have to ask that sellers specifically request adult signature since my FFL is located in a residential area and there is sometimes a cost with that.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To me its the cost to box tape and ship. If dedex charges me $4 to pu package i add $4 to your shipping. What it cost me it cost you. If you want paypal or anything that takes a fee out you gotta get that too
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,008 ******
    edited November -1
    I don't like "actual shipping cost." It can mean too many things. It can mean the cost of delivery, plus the cost of packing materials. It can also mean what it costs to hand the item, unwrapped to some yahoo at the local Pack & Postal and have them wrap, pack and ship it.

When I list an item for sale, I specify a firm shipping charge. Except for the stuff that I know will fit in a small flat rate box and ship with $5.80 in postage, it is an educated guess. If I tell you I will ship it for $20, then I will. If I guess high on the shipping, maybe I come out ahead a dollar or two. If I guess low, then I eat the difference. It all evens out over time.

I also don't like disguised profanity, which is why a lot of your posts are missing.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    THAT "actual shipping" statement leaves the door WIDE open for ANY interpretation seller may choose that is most beneficial to him..

...WHAT the way too often stated "Buyer to pay actual shipping" is in reality, the buyer saying...

A)..."I'm too damn lazy to find correct charges, keep up and learn HOW to ship, learn & REMEMBER the shipping charges".

B)..."I'm going to eek out a few extra bucks on shipping REGARDLESS of how much profit I make on the auction item".

C)..."I'm going to use a LOWBALL starting bid and IF that bid sticks, Im going to gouge out a lot more with shipping charges"...this last one can even have the shipping charges STATED in description...I see it all the time, more so when the "stupid desease" was running rampant with magzines.
    Auction w/lot of 4 x 30 round magazines: $ VERY good(low) price...Shipping: $30...if NO "special" circumstances, USPS Priority will ship those mags for less than $10 bucks (Flat Rate Priority) and leave maybe $2 bucks for a cheapie McDoogle burger after you leave the PO...seller just gouged out $20 more bucks for over priced shipping.

Red flag to me..."actual shipping" can be damn near ANYTHING the seller chooses to make it, and stories abound about absurd shipping charges incurred from these types of open statements...I DONT/WONT deal with it.

It is NOT hard to list correct shipping charges...maybe a tad inconvenient to get a small loan to buy a small piece of equipment...$30-$40 digital scale for small items, though that is NOT needed, just nice to have....after a few items the seller SHOULD know off hand the cost to different parts of the US and how long each class takes to get to those areas...and only takes a minute to find the true cost.

Wears me out, it's not rocket surgery to FIND the shipping charges for ANYTHING, with ANY carrier, Ive done it for years and I never have used "actual shipping".

...IF by chance I find something I cant live without and the lazy seller has used that cop out, I email and give complete destination & FFL info/type of shipping and carrier...if no answer or a BS answer, I move on to another auction, dont have time to deal with lazy folks which is a red flag to me, just TOO big of an opportunity for hanky panky.

I had TWO sellers here last week that one lost at least a $1,000 sell on a beutiful/correct A3 03 (neither gun sold, I checked [:D]) because of the one BS answer & one no answer about shipping cost...the one answer I got was so convaluted I dont even know WTH he said except "will have to wait until auction is over" really???, his loss.

In fairness, most sellers do not intend on gouging the buyer with shipping charges, especially here on GB, sellers AND buyers are the BEST on the net...other sites, beware.

I give an EXACT shipping amount with all my auctions.

1) I only use USPS.
    I calculate either 1st Class/Priority or Priority Flat Rate & state THAT charge, if the buyer wants something different, I figure the exact cost for what carrier/type of shipping they request.

2) I know the cost of my packing materials, and I charge enough to cover the pure cost of those materials, simple...I dont charge extra for my time etc...if I state a price & am wrong figuring shipping, thats MY fault, not the buyer, so I eat it. I eat 50? or so, fairly often...but I also pick up a buck or two here & there on some packages, no biggie, all comes out in the wash.

Certain items are crazy high to ship, like bayos...the size (length) of the shipping box required will throw the box into the Priority class which gets a tad pricey sometimes if its not Flat Rate...but people who buy bayos know the cost.

I ALWAYS give an EXACT shipping cost & stick with it no matter if it cost me more or not...[;)]
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,784 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    I tend to ask what are the "TOTAL" charges are for shipping to my area Before I bid.Seen a few in the past that try and cheat, IE the item is 1$ shipping is $399.99.

Good advice!!
    I leaned this lesson years ago when I paid $20 shipping for a mauser firing pin. Have also read feedbacks with complaints of high shipping charges.
    If postage is not listed, I ask the seller and make it clear I would not bid unless he quotes a price. No response; best to pass.

The "Ask the seller a question" is one of the best features of GB, however, keep in mind the 15-20% of the sellers do not answer.
  • Options
    carolinashootercarolinashooter Member Posts: 339 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ship a lot on the auction side and use "actual shipping" in my description. I have a UPS account and get a discount which I pass on to my buyers. I round up to the even dollar to keep the numbers even and help somewhat with packing materials. With my discount it is about a 20% discount over what they will find if they try and figure shipping from the UPS web sight. The only time I do not use this is if I can legally use a USPS flat rate box or when I auction a firearm. Then I give an actual number for shipping. The zip code items are going to can make a big difference in shipping.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does GB get their percentage on the shipping charges.. I see sellers who charge a lot for "shipping" meaning the bidder may be bidding less for the item because they are factoring the large shipping cost into their final cost. ie.. If the seller is charging $15 to ship a magazine the buyer may only bid $10 for the magazine instead of $20 or $25 because the shipping is so high.
  • Options
    jhimcojhimco Member Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How's this sound? If you think it is too much.... Buy it someplace else! This kind of stuff is what old ladies talk about!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by foo
    Kimi,

I agree with everything you wrote. Actual means actual. But other factors also play into the costs, insurance etc. For instance, I have to ask that sellers specifically request adult signature since my FFL is located in a residential area and there is sometimes a cost with that.

Exactly. And, I covered the "insurance" issue, remember?

It's a good way to advertise a shipping charge when the seller does not know if the buyer wants it "tomorrow" or a "week from tomorrow." So, if someone has already stated what the shipping charges are going to be, and it is not shipped by the carrier the buyer prefers, or if it is not enough to cover the cost of expediting the package, you have another issue to address with the seller. Either way a person goes, they will still have to discuss "details" regarding shipping.
    What's next?
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Usually I do not bid on auctions with this type listing because of the hassle of it. If I do I e-mail the seller for a firm quote to my zip code before I bid. I will not accept any type of reply that is not a firm number. If the seller replies I can look it up myself I pass without even wasting my time to reply.

One guy wanted $170.00 to ship a $300 snub nose revolver from CA to IN. I passed without even answering the e-mail back as I knew I was wasting time. The next day he offered to drop the shipping to $90.00. I didn't answer that one either.

Some type adds will say buyer pays actual shipping by xyz method through abc company, or if your FFL requires shipping from my FFL the fees are (some number) extra. I'm okay with a detailed listing of this type but still e-mail for a firm number.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Post office or UPS charges from point a to point b. However it could be like the medicine commercials on TV. Take this pill to cure your sleeping problem, however side affects are.. dizzyness, nausau, possible blurry vision, liver cancer in patients over 18, hair loss, skin irritation, bleeding ulcers in your stomach.. Do not operate machinery or drive while taking this medication.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn

When I list an item for sale, I specify a firm shipping charge. Except for the stuff that I know will fit in a small flat rate box and ship with $5.80 in postage, it is an educated guess. If I tell you I will ship it for $20, then I will. If I guess high on the shipping, maybe I come out ahead a dollar or two. If I guess low, then I eat the difference. It all evens out over time.

Exactly, that is how I do it.

*Does it mean exactly that: ie, you will be charged exactly what the seller is charged by the shipper and thats all?

IMO I shouldn't have to pay the seller to drive it to the shipper, or package it, that is your part of doing business and should come out of your profit.

If charging for packaging and handling to the shipper is charged then I should be able to deduct my expenses from the selling price for having to drive to the Post Office to get a Money Order, plus teh price of the envelope and stamp especially if that is the only form of payment the seller takes. If you want to be a ridiculous seller then I can be a ridiculous buyer.

It is the same shyster mentality as car dealers that charge a "doc fee" or "processing fee". You mean on top of paying you for the car that I am buying from you, you want me to pay you a fee to sell me the car? It is irrelevant to me if that is industry acceptable now, its still a load of crap.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Send an email to the seller before bidding ask for shipping charges to your zip. If they don't reply, RUN do not bid.

Shipping charges are easy to figure and should be part of the auction price in my way of thinking.
  • Options
    rob223rob223 Member Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many different concepts. Even on whether they combine or discount s/h on multiple auctions. Some do a good job, some not. I had one that didn't combine s/h, (I forgot to ask and found out he didn't after the fact). But, he put everything in the same box and shipped to save/pocket himself money. Figure that one out.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If a seller is comfortable with grossly overcharging on shipping how can you trust them to purchase anything from them?
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Actual Shipping" usually means I don't bid or even scroll to the pics. I hate to have a guessing game with someone who is 500-1000 miles away. Just give me the bottom line up front, if I don't like it, adios!
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,376 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grdad45
    "Actual Shipping" usually means I don't bid or even scroll to the pics. I hate to have a guessing game with someone who is 500-1000 miles away. Just give me the bottom line up front, if I don't like it, adios!
    Exactly! I live on the Washington coast. When I sell something on GB, I weigh the item and the packaging. Then I type in a zipcode in Maine, and one in Florida, and one in Hawaii. I average the three, and that's the shipping I state in the auction, and if the value is over $50, you get to buy insurance. All the prices are stated, so you know what you're spending.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The fact of the matter here is that if someone wants the merchandise they are going to bid on the item in an attempt to win it, and if they win it, they are going to communicate to the seller how they want it shipped, and if they do not do that, then they will most likely agree to the seller's shipping mode and payment. It's that's simple. It makes no difference how anyone here feels about how another person advertises their firearms for auction.
    What's next?
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actual shipping charges when I list them is the price that the carrier charges me to ship that's it.

I don't figure in the GB final fees, my gas to the post office, the electricity to run the computer, tape and especially the boxes. Boxes can be had for free hell the Post Office will give them to you and deliver them to your house for free. My only other shipping expense is sometimes packing material, but I eat that expense. I sell more on the other website then here and I've never had a single complaint for over charging for shipping.
  • Options
    jev1969jev1969 Member Posts: 2,691
    edited November -1
    If you charge to box the item and your gas/time to bring it to the UPS store then the auction should state "buyer pays shipping AND handling". A UPS "pick up fee" is part of handling, a convenience that saves you a trip to town. "Buyer pays actual shipping charge" means to me that I will be paying what the label on the UPS receipt says. That is what UPS charged to ship the item, thus the "shipping charge". Anyone that lists "buyer pays actual shipping charge" and then also charges for handling is being dishonest. Spin, twist, rationalize or argue it's dishonest.
    Since I know some people like to do this I ask what it's going to cost me if I bid and win.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Lots of input, Great discussion. I believe most commenting here tend to agree for the most part that "Buyer pays actual shipping" should mean exactly that. If there are other fees and seller expenses added thats fine but it easy enough to state that in the auction, ie, "Buyer pays actual shipping with added fees for handling". Like someone else stated here, the vast majority on GB are top notch, honest, no nonsense sellers and greatly appreciated. *I sure hope the person who prompted me to post the question in the first place has read what the good folks here had to say.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by austin20
    Does GB get their percentage on the shipping charges.. I see sellers who charge a lot for "shipping" meaning the bidder may be bidding less for the item because they are factoring the large shipping cost into their final cost. ie.. If the seller is charging $15 to ship a magazine the buyer may only bid $10 for the magazine instead of $20 or $25 because the shipping is so high.

No, GunBroker doesn't collect any percentage on the shipping. Some years back eBay had to start collecting their percentage based on the selling price plus the shipping charged because sellers were "cutting eBay out" of the transaction by selling items for a few pennies, but charging inflated shipping prices.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is at least one seller here who has a link on every item that allows the bidder to put in their zip code and it will calculate the price for ground, 2nd day and overnight. And people STILL complain his shipping is high (because they did not take the time to use the calculator)