In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Skin Cancer Warning - Pics - not pretty

Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭
edited February 2017 in General Discussion
I didn't want to hijack the other threads about skin cancer but I do want to warn young and old alike about the importance of hats and sunblock. I am fair skinned and when I grew up (late 60s and 70s) the thought was to get a good burn the first time out and that would peel into your base tan for the season. Never really thought about it and have been active outdoors my whole life. In July 2016 I noticed a growth on top of my head that was bleeding. (Photo #1)This came on in 2 weeks. I had it removed and tested. Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Next came the MOHS surgery. Pics 2 and 3 show the result. I hoping it doesn't come back but I'm told chances are likely that it will. Now I wear hats, long pants, long sleeve shirts and sunscreen where I can't cover when I'm out in the sun.

[img][/img]IMG_3478.jpg
[img][/img]IMG_3679.jpg[img][/img][img][/img]IMG_3680.jpg

Comments

• Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yikes, that is not pretty. Glad your getting help.

Hats and sunblock recommended.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My doctor told me years ago the worst thing that ever happened to farmers was free caps from seed company's.
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep that's awful looking sore there! Drop a farmer's pants and his baby bottom is like the day he came into this world! No sun exposure! [:D] I hope you can get better!

serf

What that Pine bark extract is showing to prevent sun burn! Link below!

serf

http://bellapellelaser.com/can-supplements-help-prevent-sunburn-skin-damage/

Pine bark extract (Pycnogenolr, Flavangenolr) has been found in clinical studies to significantly increase the amount of simulated UV-radiation required to cause redness and skin damage, as well as reduce measures of skin damage caused by UV exposure. It has also been found to decrease the color of age spots in healthy young women.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's not pretty...

It definitely looks like something requiring an oncologist and treatment...

Cancer is not to be taken lightly - cancer is no joking matter.

Get well - be well - stay well

Mike
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my regular no fail once a year checkup....grew up in t shirts and ball caps.....stupid
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Makes you wonder if our parents just died from this stuff or had less of it?
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Oso2142Oso2142 Member Posts: 2,940
    edited November -1
    Wow! You're right, that's not pretty. But, thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    cercer Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had them since the early 80's I've been lucky though I have not had a melanoma yet. I've had 4 cousins die from melanoma and several friends. there was no warnings when I was young in the 50's and 60's I used to get so sunburnt it would be 2nd degree burns. I go out now I use the highest rated sun block I can find i'm sure I've had hundreds either frozen, or cut off. I cannot say it enough wear sun protection
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I don't own a short sleeve Shirt my wife is a beach nut and just had same looking thing taken of her leg they say they got it all I sure hope so I get small rough spots frozen about once a year tops of ears etc had two friend that died young from skin cancer
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ..Dang, I sure hope it doesn't come back, but chances
    are it will or pop up somewhere else. Wife and I have
    had the "farmer's spots"). Only about two months ago,
    Cathy had a monster about that size dug out of her
    skin next to and under her nose. I'm real happy with
    result, as they had a plastic surgeon there to keep
    scarring to a minimum.
  • Options
    mnrivrat48mnrivrat48 Member Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My X wife developed a spot of skin cancer on her forhead between her eyes. She was in her early 20's. They cut it out (it did not look as bad as yours) and luckely it never returned. She is 68 now.

My best wishes that you heal quickly and that it will not return. That is a nasty looking spot.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Dad has the "blue light" treatment every few months and his scalp is starting to look Klingon from all the chunks they have removed. But after the prostate cancer and all the skin chunks they have cut out he's doing good to hit 80 next October. Still pretty active, he and Mom went to the Mardi Gras Parade with us 2 weekends ago. That was fun. (Of course the parade route runs right by their house so they only had to walk a block or so.... [8D])