In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What is a Goth or a Gothic lifestyle all about?

deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2004 in General Discussion
Hello all,
I am sure you have seen them In the black cloths wearing black
makeup and very pale skin They call themselves "Goths", I dont believe
in Judging people No am I Ranking anyone in that lifestyle I just want to know more about it[?]

nysrpa.jpgtnusa.gifNoPETA.jpg

Comments

• Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I guess I live under a rock, but I was unaware that the Goths were anything but the group of people that filled in after the Romans fell apart. they were from the area now known as South Russia/Germany area. So what are the new wanna bes up to?
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are trying to get even with thier parents for giving birth to them

• LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It must be something that is grown out of, it's been around a couple decades and i've never seen any 40ish Goth's. Then again I don't go to the malls much[:)]

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose goverments are afraid to trust the people with arms" - James Madison

americashapeflag.gif
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Without getting too complicated here, its another youth "movement" of the sort designed to annoy your parents. Despite the title, there is no real similarity to the old European people of the same name.

If you're a little bit older you can think of them as "punks" (in the teenage 70s sense) with paler skin and more of an emphasis on fashion and less on anarchist politics. The modern Goth movement, in fact, can be traced directly pack to that 70s punk movement (with a few twists and turns along the way). Like the punks, there are Goth music bands. The movie "The Crow" with the late Brandon Lee is one that contains strong Goth elements.

Elements of Goth fashion include pale skin, dark eye makeup and dark flowing clothes. Goth themes include the occult and supernatural. Some of the Goth kids like the occult, Wicca, and paganism. They also like Vampires.

In general Goths are introverted, tolerant, pacifistic, and slightly intellectual. Unlike the classic 70s punk with their leather jackets and bicycle chain, you have nothing to fear from the Goth kids. I can't say much about this ministry, but the description here squares pretty well with my experience:

http://www.boblarson.org/HOTTOPICS/Gothic/gothic.html

logo.jpg
  • drawndrawn Member Posts: 544
    edited November -1
    goth-barbie_jpg.jpg

"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN ONE PRETTY AND WELL PRESERVED PIECE, BUT, TO SKID ACROSS THE LINE BROADSIDE, THROUGHLY USED UP, WORN OUT, LEAKING OIL, SHOUTING GERONIMO!!"
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    The 'Hippeees' fo the present.

Too bad VW buses (in black) are nolonger around in
    great numbers!
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Halloween 24/7 [:D]

Sad too, I have seen some good looking gals turn that way. [V]

new_snipersmilie.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member
  • Mr. BlastyMr. Blasty Member Posts: 592 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    Halloween 24/7 [:D]

Sad too, I have seen some good looking gals turn that way. [V]

new_snipersmilie.gif

Couldn't say it better myself. Goth = Poser
  • RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    More of a "death" style than a lifestyle...glorifies anything related to death; the morbid; the morose. [:(]
  • silver6silver6 Member Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have to say Goth kids in my personal experience are children who cant find their group or place and these kids who are into Goth except them and give them a place and common bond.

If god meant for us to talk more than we listened he'd have given us one ear and two mouths- Vince Lombardi
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We Have a few (or maybe its a new fad) That mixes Goth with British Punk.

girl_pic.jpg

new_snipersmilie.gif
  • Joe DreesJoe Drees Member Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All this time I thought they were Dallas Cowboys fans.....

joe
  • SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kids being kids. Same as whatever you did to you're ma and pa. In my day it was long hair. It falls under, 'who cares?' No matter what they do, they're just kids being kids.
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting that someone would come to a forum inhabited by a mostly single-minded, narrow thinking, very conservative group with a average age hovering around 50 or so, to learn about an atypical, teenage-oriented, lifestyle.

You might as well ask Handgun Control, Inc. for reloading tips.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    There are Christian Goth groups as well....
    www.christiangoth.com

A search on the web will give you all the different Goth groups....including all the different beliefs...

cute_skunk.gif

Hudson.gif
    Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know if it's identity crises or what but weren't the 2 columbine killers into goth? One of my son's friends is a bit on the goth side and is a real introvert, hard to tell what makes him tick most of the time, I don't know if age (he's 20 now),would "normalize" him but he's weird no doubt. My son plays guitar and video games with him. I don't think it's (goth) is dangerous in general but strange things attract strange folk.

Common Sense is an Uncommon Virtue.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes the two punks from Columbine were Goths.
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by deerhntr
    Hello all,
    I am sure you have seen them In the black cloths wearing black
    makeup and very pale skin They call themselves "Goths", I dont believe
    in Judging people No am I Ranking anyone in that lifestyle I just want to know more about it[?]

Goths = (Teen cry babies + teen angst)x10 + (stupidity/I.Q.)

annoyaliberal.jpgnotmyfault.gif
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm ALL teens do that!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ghotie_thumper
    I don't know if it's identity crises or what but weren't the 2 columbine killers into goth?

Well, they were disaffected youth, but no, they were not Goths themselves. That was (as usual) a sensationalistic press angle.

Actual Goths may be annoying, but they are fairly pacifistic. There was a Saturday Night Live sketch a few years back where the actors played disaffected teenagers, and one of them, angry, said to the other "I'm more Goth than you!". It was hilarious, and to me that sums it up pretty well (teenager poseurism and how can I piss off my parents).

Someone was asking where the 40 year old Goths are. . .there aren't any. If you are in your 40 now, you were probably a New Wave punker from the early 80s. There's something awfully wrong with you if you are that old yet still feel the need to adopt the trappings of the modern youth counterculture.

If you are >40 now, and still feel the need to prance around in Goth-like clothes you might as well take up sexual fetishim as a hobby. You'll get all the fun of the weird clothes and makeup, but without having to deal with the stupid occult themes or teenage melodrama, etc. (Umm. . .or so I've heard ;-).

By the way, I've found that if you are an adult and REALLY want to dress to piss people off, the best way to do it is to gratuitously wear a nice suit and a tie everywhere you go!
    edited November -1
    shootah- Love your ink and peircings!
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They say they dont want to conform, or they want to be different, but theyre not different, theyre just like every other goth out there.

santa2.gifsig3.jpgsanta2.gif

"I will no longer debate a liberal because I feel they are beneath contempt. Just communicating with one contaminates a person." - whiteclouder
    edited November -1
    270man that is the irony of adolescense. They do indeed want to rebell, but only against their parents. They want to be as much like each other as possible, because nothing is worse than being excluded from the in crowd, or the out crowd, or whatever crowd you want to be part of. You didn't listen to your parents music, and you kids don't want yours. Fashions among teens change for much the same reason. The think is, you just have to remember that 1. Youth truly is wasted on the young (and we were not different) and 2. Ain't no way you are going to understand it without being part of it and then you are too close to it to understand it.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    shootah- Love your ink and peircings!

Yes, I hard an awfully hard time getting the one on my left arm with the smoking 1911 inscribed "born to shoot bullseye" here in Boston. (Since until just last year tattooing was illegal here).

Anyway, if you've got a Real Media player, these sketches from Saturday Night Live in the late 90s pretty much pin the tail on the Goth Donkey:

http://di.bobo-the-sysadmin.com/gothtalk/
  • oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Beantown says, just one more youth movement silliness. It will die as all of them have. Let the kids enjoy, stand back a bit and close your eyes. It will pass.

There are no bad guns, only bad people.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are the people that look exactly like the people that I will never hire to work in my business. Other than that they are just folks trying to make their way through life, alibet with a thought process on apperance that seems odd.
  • yekimakyekimak Member Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a bunch of semi-enlightened(to themselves) geeks who, by doing their best to admonish society's values by their dress and attitude, end up looking the same.

How is it that every person who tries hard to be different, ends up looking just like everyone else trying to be different?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    Yes the two punks from Columbine were Goths.

Doubt it. They don't really look like it. Goths are generally very picky about appearance in their own way. Look for painted fingernails, mascara, etc.
    edited November -1
    So I take it no one here did anything the least bit rebellious or out of the norm (particularly in regard to appearance) during their life?
  • yekimakyekimak Member Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Genetics has played a big role in why I look different, very little help needed in the atire dept.[;)]

I have grown out my hair a few times, actually it is now a tradition, I grow out my hair when my wife is pregnant.
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mpolans
    So I take it no one here did anything the least bit rebellious or out of the norm (particularly in regard to appearance) during their life?

My hair was down past my sholders............... if that counts!

If I can't spell, so what!

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    mpolans- To answer your question- After school from the fourth grade on I'd go to the family business. then I went in the military. then I went to college at a school that required one to learn or leave. then I got married, graduated, and went to work. I guess I haven't done anything rebellious. Maybe I should consider going Goth.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know about you guys ...
    ... but I find some of the Goth chicks to be very HOT![}:)]

goth-barbie_jpg.jpg
    If you really want to do something, you'll find a way ...
    ... If you don't, you'll find any excuse.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    I've talked to a few - We live in a small border town and the kids in school know everybody. A few came over to the house for some birthday or whatever party and they were actualy just kids - I joked with them, but told em that - hey everybody is unique. The ones I talked with just liked the style and were not yet into the big death theme....My Daughter used to complain when her friends said I was alright for a Dad[:D][:D]

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have a girl at work that should be the goth poster girl. She has so many body piercings (and Lord knows I haven't seen the all) that if all the posts stuck in her were sticking out of her she would look like a porcupine!

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kimberkid... Like the cutie in the Dell commercial, showing the college dorm, with the blond in pink and the Goth in black.... she was hot...Hey, wait, I can't think like that, I got grandaughters.
  • cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no idea what it is about cant think of anybody around here that has that look i guess..
    never got into being rebellious, didnt have time with helping dad farm and ranch...guess always shut down at sundown on sat evening and headed to town to drink beer,chase girls and do donuts in mainstreet with mom and dads car or pickups once in a while.[;)]
  • gonzo1510gonzo1510 Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Joe Drees
    All this time I thought they were Dallas Cowboys fans.....

joe

That's funny.... I thought they were all from Sheboygan

"The ability for evil to triumph exists when good men do nothing." Edmund Burke
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    Kimberkid... Like the cutie in the Dell commercial, showing the college dorm, with the blond in pink and the Goth in black.... she was hot...Hey, wait, I can't think like that, I got grandaughters.
    My dad says ... its alright to think like that as long as they aren't your grandaughters ... after all, not dead yet and we are guys!
    If you really want to do something, you'll find a way ...
    ... If you don't, you'll find any excuse.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Different for sure. I got behind some crossing the street. They moved about as fast as molasses in the Artic. I got behind them and bumped the air horn. Hey! They do value life! Moved along with a purpose at that point in time.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."