In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Just passing some safety info along

WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2007 in General Discussion
I recieved this in an email. Something to consider.

Some good info. Especially if you might deploy with a weapon. Something to think about.

Catastrophic Failure of Semiautomatic Handguns The following bulletin was received from the New Jersey State Police - Officer Safety Division
Date: February 23, 2007
Continuous reloading an chambering of the same round may cause catastrophic failure in semiautomatic handguns.
The Security Force at the Los Alamos National Laboratory in Los Alamos, New Mexico, recently reported on the catastrophic failure of a semiautomatic handgun when it was fired. The internal explosion caused the frame to break while the slide and barrel separated from the weapon and traveled down range. No one was injured in the incident. An investigation revealed that security personnel were repeatedly charging the same round of ammunition into the chamber.
Technical personnel at Glock Inc. advise that repeated chambering of the same round may cause the bullet to move deeper in the casing, further compacting the prpellent. When a normal cartride is fired, the firing pin his the primer, igniting the propellant. When the propellant burns, the gas pressure drives the bullet out of the case and down the barrel. However, if the propellant has been compact, the pressure may increase beyond the gun's specifications, causing the weapon to break apart. Sigarms Inc's peronnel confirm that reloading the same round five or six times will cause the problems, noting that reloading the same round even once will void their warranty. Both manufacturers stress that the problem is not with the gun, but with chambering the same round repeatedly.
The NJ Regional Operations Intelligence Center urges all law enforement officers not to chamber the same round when loading their weapons.
***For example, when you clean your weapon, most of us drop the magazine and then pull the slide back thereby ejecting the round in the barrel.
After cleaning the weapon many of us will return the "same" round to the barrel that we initially extracted. Each time the slide slams forward on that same round it seats it deeper into the cartridge. Apparently, by seating the round deeper into the cartridge, it creates greater pressure when the round is intentionally detonated by a firing pin strike and is causing weaopn's to explode.

Comments

• Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a lot of ppl ccw with a round in the chamber. undoubtedly it gets rechambered many times, never heard of that problem before...
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,009 ******
    edited November -1
    Funny stuff, that.

We have experienced that phenomenon with a number of guns, usually a case failure with reloaded ammo. With the Smith & Wesson, it was only a disconcerting venting of gas into the mag well. With the Beretta, the trigger draw bar was knocked loose, requiring that the gun be disassembled and reassembled, but there was no damage. With the Glock, well, it was as described...a catastrophic failure, requiring replacement of the gun or at least the frame.

The Smith & Wessons had steel frames. The Beretta's frame is aluminum. The Glock, well, the Glock is plastic, and plastic breaks.

Glock has been pretty good about replacing their broken products, quietly, and they insist on having the complete gun returned to the factory. Can't blame them. I would too.

We have never had such a problem with our SIGs. I suspect that any charge powerful enough to break the frame and send the slide and barrel downrange would also leave the operator without a hand. But the, the SIG is just built more stoutly than it has to be. Typical German engineering.
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    Good Info to review! Thanks for the post![:)]
  • Options
    Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the opportunity to shoot a Glock 40 a couple weeks back. The most goofy gun I have ever shot. Trigger was very sensitive and accuracy stunk. I will pass on any of them.
  • Options
    ObiWanObiWan Member Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Amazing.

You would think that when the brass gets stopped in its forward motion very harshly the lead would actually want to go forward.

This is from New Jersey...can the report be credible?[:D][:D][:p]
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    interesting...

whenever I see a dept, that has that 50gal barrel of sand with the little hole for inserting the barrel and clearing, at the entrance to the bldg. I cringe. I always thought that was a bad idea...

FGD-09-1863.jpg
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I TOLD y'all that Glocks are junk.

Thanks for validating me, nunn.

D.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I have been tossing that round out when you can visually see it getting shorter. Maybe I will start leaving a round in the chamber all the time. I have a habit of taking a round out of the barrel when I come in the door to my house...might have to change that.
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    I have a habit of taking a round out of the barrel when I come in the door to my house.

not me, I still don't trust the maid...
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    This happened in my Kimber Ultra Carry (the bullet getting seated further in), luckily I caught it before I had a chance to get to the range. Now I keep it loaded all the time.