In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shot the M44 yesterday.

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
edited April 2006 in General Discussion
Shot about 60rds yesterday. My shoulder may never be the same! That thing is a shoulder cannon. Accuracy @ 100yrds isn't too great. Grouping 5rds in about 5". I'm sure it will improve with a nicer rest and a scope.

BTW. What rifle round would you compare the M44's recoil too? I know the round's ballistics are comparible to the 308Win's.
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    I've never worried about my M44's accuracy. The recoil and muzzle blast alone keep me smiling for hours after letting her rip. Call me crazy but for some reason I enjoy the recoil. Man I love that thing! [8D]
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know I'm the odd man out here, but I don't find the M44's recoil oppressive or unusual at all. I hear people complain about it all the time, but it doesn't seem that powerful to me. Maybe mine's just better made or something.[:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • Cyberdyne systemsCyberdyne systems Member Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the recoil is similiar to 12 gauge magnums or high base

it kicks the worst when shooting off a table using a rifle rest

when your shooting in the standing position it doesnt feel as bad
  • haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    If you get tired of the heavy recoil, or you want better accuracy, you can get an inertia bullet puller. Pull the bullets, throw out the powder, and install your own H4895. Load data is available on the Hodgdon website, and with this powder you can load as low as 60% of maximum. I do this for the bolt action rifle matches, and it improves accuracy, makes it comfortable to shoot 80 rounds as fast as you can work stripper clips and the bolt. It still keeps enough velocity to make the power factor too. I hope some of my competitors aren't reading this, because my secret will be out.
  • milsurpermilsurper Member Posts: 278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not the most accurate, but extreemly fun. They are more of a long range gun, 150 -250 yards. You should be able to keep a 5-8" at 200 yrds.
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Don't learn to tolerate or even like heavy recoil too much. It has been prove that years of such recoil will cause you physical problems to where you won't even be able to withstand the recoil from a much lighter recoiling rifle.

Just FYI.
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first high powered rifle was a sporterized M44. It had some lousy finish apparently painted on. It came off on the cleaning rag with Hoppes. Bullets tumbled out of the barrel. I don't recall shooting anything with more felt recoil than that rifle.

I got a deal on another M44, put it in an American monte carlo stock, US type scope mount, and a custom compensator. The added muzzle blast almost isn't worth the reduction in recoil.

44scoped002.jpg
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Henry0Reilly
    I got a deal on another M44, put it in an American monte carlo stock, US type scope mount, and a custom compensator. The added muzzle blast almost isn't worth the reduction in recoil.

44scoped002.jpg

Blast, as in muzzle, is an understatement. That thing puts out a concussion. When you're not shooting it, it thumps you in the chest something fierce. Not to mention the FLAME that you can see in broad daylight. I still love it. A montecarlo stock with a recoil pad will help the bruised shoulder of mine. And it will become a little more appealing to my wife.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    There's a term used for military accuracy ... it's slipped my mind.
    Anyway, military weapons are supposed to be able to place their
    bullets within a lethal chest area at about 100 yards - some are
    more accurate and some less - but they are battle weapons and
    not really of competition target shooting quality.

.... and, yes, they are fun to shoot/plink around with! I have one
    and like everything about it! [:D][:D][:D]
  • cruzie27cruzie27 Member Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Zipzap,..min. of bad guy?

i have a M-38 in a ATI synthetic stock,....it lessens the recoil pretty good,... i also have another M-38 and a M-44 both left original

if you can stand up and shoot the rifle the recoil in not bad at all,..like said before it is when seated and shooting from a table that hurts.

and i never noticed how bad the blast was out of it,..i remember letting a friend shoot it,..i was standing next to him and every time he fired it made my chest and n**s hurt,..my PSL (7.62x54R) does the same but the recoil is very very light for that gun,..god bless the guy that thought of putting a spring loaded butt plate on there.

i would compare the Mosin to a 12ga. slug gun for recoil
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    The 7.62x54R cartridge is more similar to the 30-06 in ballistics.

If the recoil is getting to you, switch to the 147 grain milsurp bullets. You were probably shooting 174 grain.

What color was on the tip of the ammo? What color of box?
  • MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    Try shooting the 203 grain soft point cartridges from Barnaul - if you think you're hurting now, you'll be REALLY hurting after shooting just 5 to 10 rounds of that stuff.

I bought a 500 round case of that stuff from Midway. Shot about 25 rounds of it and sold the rest on gunbroker (at a loss) - the stuff was just too painful to shoot, and it was shooting way too high)
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcloco
    The 7.62x54R cartridge is more similar to the 30-06 in ballistics.

If the recoil is getting to you, switch to the 147 grain milsurp bullets. You were probably shooting 174 grain.

What color was on the tip of the ammo? What color of box?

maybe that's my problem. I'm pretty sure I've been shooting the 147 gr. Czech stuff (silver tip). I think one of my latest batches is the heavier stuff, but I haven't shot it yet.

From my understanding, the 7.62 is ballistically very similar to the .308.
  • cruzie27cruzie27 Member Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MosinNagantDisciple
    Try shooting the 203 grain soft point cartridges from Barnaul - if you think you're hurting now, you'll be REALLY hurting after shooting just 5 to 10 rounds of that stuff.

I bought a 500 round case of that stuff from Midway. Shot about 25 rounds of it and sold the rest on gunbroker (at a loss) - the stuff was just too painful to shoot, and it was shooting way too high)

[:D] i wish i would have know,....i use either the 203gr or the 180gr for deer season,...this year i ran out and good cheap ammo was nowhere to be found,...i had to buy the Norma stuff,...i hope i never have to do that again