In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

OK so now I am asking for input

JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in General Discussion
On the AR style .22 rifles. So if ya own one, know someone owns one, over heard someone at a bar talking about one. Let me hear it.

Are they worth the money? Which one is the best? Do they like junk bulk .22 ammo or you gotta feed them premium ammo to function? Anyone know if they will shoot sub-sonic ammo? Do they jam.. you got the idea.

let me hear it, good or bad, esp. if it's bad.

So far I have been told S&W will eat junk ammo all day, and I have heard colt is pure garbage.

Thanks for the input.

Comments

• oldrideroldrider Member Posts: 4,934 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt will eat junk ammo all day, S&W is pure garbage.

Never shot either one, just giving the typical internet review.
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    Why not just build a suped up 10/22?
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got enough AR's but not in .22 just don't see any need for it. I just don't see the need to pay $400 for one. You could buy a couple of 10-22's or Marlin Model 60's or what have you for that kind of money.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK. I am goona cross the line here, and I hope this offends noone.

But, I hate 1022's with a passion!

I don't have the foggiest clue as to why. I don't like the looks, the feel, nothing about them. Never have. Maybe it's because I sold like 1 million of them when I sold guns at wal mart?

I would rather have a dedicated upper that wouold work on dad's m16, but i can't find anyone who will talk shop with me. And I don't like spending $600 or better for a dedicated upper in f/a or semi...
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oldrider

[:D] Nicely done.

Actually, a friend of mine has one. This is weird deja vu, because a similar question popped up about another 22 that he owns and I sent the GB member to him. His GunBroker handle is 44shotdoctor and he owns a S&W AR 22lr. And he loves it.
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    As for the "looks" of a 10/22, that disappears pretty quick when you start modifying it.

But of course, if you don't like them, you don't like them.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite1015
    I got enough AR's but not in .22 just don't see any need for it. I just don't see the need to pay $400 for one. You could buy a couple of 10-22's or Marlin Model 60's or what have you for that kind of money.

I have a model 60, and a springfield shorty model 60 too. I have the winchester model 60a as well as henry lever, s&w 422 pistol, ruger mkIII pistol, a western auto bolt action, and I am forgetting some... i havent gotten a pump yet. Keep waiting for dad to give me his remington 572 fieldmaster pump.

I am buying the .22's now for my daughter to learn to shoot with. I know she will probably want to shoot the big guns so i hope having a .22 that looks like daddy's gun will be enough.

and i love .22's I can sit under a pecan tree and pick off pecans all day long. Or wasp. i don't shoot bee's anymore... Turtles, snakes, frogs.
    edited November -1
    quote:thermonuclear

2154 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2011 : 10:41:56 PM Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote
    OK. I am goona cross the line here, and I hope this offends noone.

But, I hate 1022's with a passion!

I don't have the foggiest clue as to why. I don't like the looks, the feel, nothing about them. Never have. Maybe it's because I sold like 1 million of them when I sold guns at wal mart?

I would rather have a dedicated upper that would work on dad's m16, but i can't find anyone who will talk shop with me. And I don't like spending $600 or better for a dedicated upper in f/a or semi...

I'm not a fan of the 10-22 either.
    And the $600 is the other part.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oldrider

This is good to hear. When I asked a cheaper than **** employee if the colt was any good, he shook his head. I asked if the mosberg was any good and he shook his head. So I asked what is good, and he said what do you not see on the wall? that's the one that out sells the others 5 to 1.

I asked if it shot junk and he said he has heard nothing bad about s&w but the others, the stories are never ending. He had 1 valid point, finding the s&w has been difficult at best.

So I hope my quest for info is fruitful. Thanks for your input.
    edited November -1
    quote:
    I am buying the .22's now for my daughter to learn to shoot with. I know she will probably want to shoot the big guns so i hope having a .22 that looks like daddy's gun will be enough.

That's a lot of money to spend on a gun that looks like daddies.
    If she learns to shoot your other .22's, eventually she can learn to shoot any gun. There's not much recoil with the .223 to begin with.
    Just trying to save you some money. Now if you jump from a .223 to a .308 in an AR platform there is a difference.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a dedicated 22 LR upper instead.

CP
  • coltpaxcoltpax Member Posts: 8,114
    edited November -1
    Marlin 60s can be kewl

3551bad8.jpg
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by coltpax
    Marlin 60s can be kewl

So can the Marlin 7000. I've got that same stock on mine. I'll try to find a pic of it.