In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I'm a little disappointed.

DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
edited December 2005 in General Discussion
My wife got me one of those Thunder Ranch S&W .45 ACP revolvers as an early Christmas present. It looked way cool in the pictures with the four-screw frame and diamond Magna stocks.

Well, it arrived today and I am unwhelmed by the fit and finish. For a supposedly deluxe, commemorative model they sure didn't make it very pretty. The bluing on the cylinder is splotchy and very shallow. I really think it should not have left the factory the way it looks. The rear of the barrel almost looks unfinished. I can feel slivers of metal projecting from the barrel at the forcing cone. It was not given a final clean up and polish at all. I will need to dress this down with a file.

My problem is that this was a gift from my wife so I can't really complain or express disappointment because it will hurt her feelings. It really is defective, though. My personal policy is to never return a defective gun, but demand a replacement. Not sure if that's possible on this limited edition model. I could send it back for refinish but then I instantly have a refinished gun with greatly reduced value. Plus, I don't know if their refinish would be much of an improvement. They can't do it right the first time so what makes me think it will be better on a second attempt?

I can either just ignore the poor finish and use it hard, or maybe send it to a premium refinishing outfit like Ford's and have a deluxe bluing applied (they do FANTASTIC work). Or perhaps I'll have it nickel plated. I like the shiny guns and I doubt that anyone else has nickel 22-4, yet.

One bright spot is the stocks, They are really beautiful. Just about the best I'ver seen on a S&W.
....................................................................................................
Too old to live...too young to die...

Comments

• Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If she bought it from a shop, it might have been sitting around for a while, been handled too much etc. I think you should send it back, have it refinished or replaced.

I don't expect a S&W to look like a Colt, or to be as smooth, at half the price, but I expect a good blue and external finish on any quality handgun.
  • Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Bummer!!!! Saxon...
    Have it nickle plated for next Christmas???
    That way you don't hurt her feelings, and she is a nice lady with good taste, as shown in your present.
    Merry Christmas to you both.
    Walte & Doris
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...IMHO...on the side give them a call and see if they can replace it,being a commemerotive and all. If they can, let your conscious be your guide. It sounds as if you have a GREAT wife to do this for you,would you not think she might only want the best for you?

It sounds like the gun is for sure not of the "best" they (S&W) have to offer....[;)]. As sweet as she sounds,she might just understand,and want you to do what makes you happy,since that was what she was thinking of when she did such a sweet thing saxon..[:)]
    ...all said IMHO...good luck

"their in front of us,their behind us,their to our left,and to our right...they cant get away from us now boys!"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    After I cleaned it up a bit it looked better. I think it had some sort of preservative or wax on the meatl making it look funny. Still not the rich bluing we recall from the 1970s but I guess that just ain't gonna happen.
    ....................................................................................................
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man if my wife bought me any gun for Christmas I would be overwhelmed with emotion! I wouldn't care if it was rusted so tight that it was beyond use, just the idea that my wife bought me a gun would have me smilin so big that it would take a year for it to wear off[:D]

• Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wanted to send a S&W that I have owned since the 1960's back to S&W to get it re-blued with the same old time high polish blueing that they were famous for. I called them to get a price and was informed that they no longer offer this type of blueing either as a re-pair or on their current line of revolvers. Too bad, it was georgous.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Pinhead- Is this what you had in mind?

http://www.fordsguns.com/index-gun29.htm
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now thats a purty gun...[:p]

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."<BR>(Proverbs 22:6)
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    pretend you are going to shoot it, then YOU must have broke something on it, and send it back, i would not consider that a refinish as we all know it because if they would have caught it, that is what they would have done anyway

reloaderror.jpg
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Br bought me a gun for christmas once,, man was I dissapointed,, it was a 90 year old winchester model 1912..[}:)][}:)][:o)]

Those who can make you believe absurdities
    can make you commit atrocities.

Do I give my friends advice? NO, . They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

yo-yo.gifsmilie_flagge13.gifmittelgr124.gif
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saxonpig, very much like the old S&W blue except a little more shiney. The old finsih I was talking about is deep but has almost a velvet look to it. Great looking piece sazon.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's not my pistol. The link is to fordsguns.com where they do really nice refinishing.
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7mm nut
    Man if my wife bought me any gun for Christmas I would be overwhelmed with emotion! I wouldn't care if it was rusted so tight that it was beyond use, just the idea that my wife bought me a gun would have me smilin so big that it would take a year for it to wear off[:D]

I'm Hip.

"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro"
    Hunter S. Thompson"