In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ffl signed in ink necessary?

john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
edited December 2006 in General Discussion
If you sell a rifle to a person in another state and If an ffl dealer send you his ffl licence and you check it with the atf site and it is legit does it have to be signed in ink or will just a copy with the copyed original signature do?. I have scoured the atf site and i can find no mention of the signed in ink rule or regulation!. As long as the rifle goes to the ffl licence premises on the copy of the ffl licence will that do without the ink signature on the ffl copy?. Thank you

Comments

• sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hard to sign it after it's been faxed, and faxed copies are now legal. As long as you verified the FFL, I would see no problem.
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you send me your FFL it had better be signed in ink (unless faxed) That's my rule.[:)] [:)]
  • john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    If a faxed copy is legal then just a photo copy should be fine as long as i verify it correct?
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Although I don't think it is nessesary, It is a way of verifying it to be unaltered (although not a great way). With todays copy machines it would be real easy to change an address to get the gun shipped to a home rather than the real FFL address. By having it signed in ink it only provides that it was not altered after it was signed. But here again with todays high quality copy machines it may be difficult to tell if it is real ink or copy machine ink.

A faxed copy gives you a phone number to verify against too.
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by john w
    If you sell a rifle to a person in another state and If an ffl dealer send you his ffl licence and you check it with the atf site and it is legit does it have to be signed in ink or will just a copy with the copyed original signature do?. I have scoured the atf site and i can find no mention of the signed in ink rule or regulation!. As long as the rifle goes to the ffl licence premises on the copy of the ffl licence will that do without the ink signature on the ffl copy?. Thank you

As an individual I don't worry about a signed copy at all. I ask for the numbers required to verify with the ATF, if it comes back good and matches the address given in the transaction, I'll ship it.

If there is some law or regulation that requires me to maintain permanent records I'm not aware of it. If such exists someone please refer me to where I can see it. Before several jump in to say I need to CYOA, I do keep records.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Signed in ink is nice. But if you verified thru the ATF that it IS a valid FFL, and you are shipping to the verified address and named FFL- that is the important part. C&R FFLs of course are not verified thru EZCheck, but can be verified thru a phone call to ATF.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by *_r_done
    Although I don't think it is nessesary, It is a way of verifying it to be unaltered (although not a great way). With todays copy machines it would be real easy to change an address to get the gun shipped to a home rather than the real FFL address. By having it signed in ink it only provides that it was not altered after it was signed. But here again with todays high quality copy machines it may be difficult to tell if it is real ink or copy machine ink.

you can verify the address to on the atf website.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14

I understand that, but I bet atleast 50% of the private sellers do not do that even though they should.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14

I understand that, but I bet atleast 50% of the private sellers do not do that even though they should.

I think its the only way to be safe, but I have only sold one gun.