In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What is knowledge worth?

Just TimJust Tim Member Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
edited September 2009 in General Discussion
I asked the gentleman that built my m1a what he would charge to show me exactly how to build a match grade m1a ? He said would help me build one in his shop for $2500 and a m1a for the reciever. I would get to keep the finished product.He would provide all the mil spec parts (trw) and barrel (kreiger).Does this sound like a reasonable deal? Tim

Comments

• shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i would suppose he assumes you will be competition for him, i would assume he is right. what is it worth to YOU is the question. how much does he want just for a match grade m1a? if you dont intend on building and selling them i would say that is a bit much.
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    if he is a master gunsmith, then hell yes its a deal!
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We don't know, what we don't know.

Some lessons are free, some a cheap, some painful, and some you can put a price tag on.

If you're going to use this particular knowledge, than it's a deal.
    If your waiting for just the right daily double on jeopardy I might not spend $2500 on that piece of knowledge.

I think Aristotle said ''We learn by doing''
  • Just TimJust Tim Member Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes he is a master gunsmith, his rifles sell for about $3500. A quater will cover a three shot group at 100 yards. As for what I would do with the information I learned ,I don't know. Tim
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Well you are going to spend AT LEAST $2500 on a true match M1A. What is the hang up on learning/doing it yourself at for the same or less money? So free or less then free is a VERY good price.
  • oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i got real lucky
    the smith i am learning too slowly from is glad to have someone willing to learn something before he dies
    he is afraid of the craft fadeing away as he is about the last one in this area
    and sometimes i do well enough to actually get paid a couple bucks!
  • Just TimJust Tim Member Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only thing stopping me is I all ready have one. It would be exciting to learn how, I could always sell it .
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Just Tim
    The only thing stopping me is I all ready have one. It would be exciting to learn how, I could always sell it .

trust me, when you build a rifle you will always regret selling it or turning it back in.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say its a heck of a deal if you know your way around the machines. If you don't, then more time will be spent on learning the machines then learning how to make the gun, which in itself isn't a bad thing.

The first rifle I built was started by my grandfather 20 years prior. It won't ever leave me until I am dead.

To give you an example. I worked at a place that the boss built engines. Someone thought what he charged was too expensive and wanted to "learn" how to do it himself. It only took about 10 minutes for that "someone" to get some learning in. So you might get an appreciation for what he does.