In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mc Chicken - Worker who shot at robber suspended

sheepdipsheepdip Member Posts: 3,124
edited January 2006 in General Discussion
A McDonald's worker who shot at a woman who robbed the restaurant on State Street in New Albany on Christmas Eve has been suspended from his job because of the incident.
Maintenance worker Clifton Brown Jr. had taken a 9 mm pistol to work on Dec. 23 and had it with him outside the restaurant as he and another employee took out the trash shortly after the midnight closing, New Albany police said.

That is when a woman, who was on foot, put a gun to the back of the second worker and then robbed the restaurant through the drive-through window.
Brown pulled his gun out and ordered the fleeing robber to stop, he told police.
The woman stopped but raised her own gun, Brown told police. He responded by firing two shots at her before she continued to flee. Police, who described Brown as in his early 50s, said they think both shots missed their target.
Ron Vanover, owner of the restaurant, said yesterday that guns are prohibited at McDonald's. Vanover said Brown is suspended "pending an investigation."
Calling it a personnel matter, he would not say what might happen at the end of the investigation.
"It's just unfortunate that it happened and it's unfortunate that somebody reacted that way," Vanover said of the robbery and the firing of shots. He called Brown's reaction inappropriate.
"I think that's common sense. Money can be replaced; lives cannot," Vanover said.
Brown, who could not be reached yesterday, has a permit to carry a gun, New Albany Detective Keith Whitlow said. "We don't have any reason to believe that Mr. Brown has violated any laws," Whitlow said. "It's up to McDonald's to decide" what happens with the employee, he added.
Whitlow said that he's "not overly enthused about untrained individuals engaging in stuff like that," but that once the robber raised her gun, Brown "was in jeopardy" and had a right to defend himself.

Comments

• Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Sure, just like a typical American Corp. come down harder on the innocent, lawful citizen who is just trying to defend themselves rather than blame it all on the criminals and their unlawful actions.

Who can say whether or not that robber might have shot and killed someone, on purpose or by accident, before the robbery was over. She sure had the gun ready to shot and she knew how to shot it.

I hate naive, left-wing liberals and their attitudes.
  • Options
    yearofspideryearofspider Member Posts: 1,657 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Too bad he didn't hit. One less covict to pay for once they catch her. I hate companies that prohibit the possesion of firearms. If they fire him, that's just one more company for me to boycott. As always, I will be writing a nasty letter to Mcdonald's about this as I have to other companies like AOL.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yearofspider
    If they fire him, that's just one more company for me to boycott.

I would think the quality of the food would be enough to keep you away from McDonald's. I only eat there as a very last resort.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    This situtation opens up a can of worms, what if the employee had accidently shot an innocent bystander with the two Shots that "missed"? Not every one that carries a gun is as good a shot as we here in GB are.[:0][}:)][}:)]
  • Options
    godalejrgodalejr Member Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i think they should give the worker a promotin,sure she could have missed,but she might have saved a life to. just another thing mickey d,s screws up. too bad the robber was not hit,now we pay for their stuff with our money.
  • Options
    WinM70WinM70 Member Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shoot someone in the back?
    Didn't hit suspect, or anyone else with wild fire thank God.
    I can understand McDonald's stance on this, they would be held responsible if anyone would have gotten hurt, not the shooter (has no money worth sueing for) but was an employee of Micky D's and on their property acting as security at that moment. He was the only one that fired any shots. It's against company policy for an employee to can at work.
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The suspect was running away, she was no threat to the worker. Suspect could say she was defending herself from the nut with a gun. I wonder where the two shots that missed ended up.

I dont want amateur wannabes shooting it out in the street with armed robbers. I'd feel a lot safer in McDonalds knowing that if there is a robbery, one of the employees is not going to pull out a gun and start a shootout.
  • Options
    wizard78wizard78 Member Posts: 3,144
    edited November -1
    In my state, I can't act as a LEO just because I have a license to carry concealed. I am only allowed to pull my gun if MY LIFE or ANOTHERS LIFE is threatened. If a robber is fleeing and I pulled and fired, I would probably be charged. Must be different in New Albany.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    My dad had a number of family members who were horse thieves and cattle rustlers , up Greeley way, at the turn of the last century. Most of them got 'suspended sentences,' too,
    ... at the end of a rope![:D]
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sheepdip
    they think both shots missed their target.
    First,
    He needs to practice more.

Second,
    If he would have done something while she was committing the robbery, that would have been one thing. (cleaning the gene pool = good thing) But she was fleeing, she no longer posed a threat. He needs to learn when to pull his weapon.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    yep he pulled it a bit to late to be even considered in the right
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like the crook got the loot and won the battle.
    oh well....
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think some of you missed this part:

quote:The woman stopped but raised her own gun,
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another fine example of the inferior 9MM round in action, or inaction.

If he had a real gun, shooting a .45 ACP round there would be one less bad gal to worry about.
  • Options
    65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yearofspider
    I will be writing a nasty letter to Mcdonald's about this as I have to other companies like AOL.

Be sure to also do it via e-mail and post the response of McCraple corporate officies.[;)]
  • Options
    The LawThe Law Member Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Another fine example of the inferior 9MM round in action, or inaction. If he had a real gun, shooting a .45 ACP round there would be one less

Them .45 ACP's have laser trackin'...Huh...Y'alls funnier than sheet...[:X]
  • Options
    65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WinM70 cliams to be from texas and he is asying that. No offense intended here WinM70; but you dont only fire a shot (defending youself of course)and wait for him/ her to bleed to death, fire until empty regardles of your location or liberal attitudes of McCrapel.
  • Options
    WinM70WinM70 Member Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    46270/henryorielly
    Story states she stopped and raised her gun, then continued to run awaydidn't say she turned and raised her gun toward him. Ever watch COPS, perps never seem to turn around they just keep runnin.
    Or did I miss the part where she turned and leveled her weapon at him then decided to turn and run away.
  • Options
    BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    This situtation opens up a can of worms, what if the employee had accidently shot an innocent bystander with the two Shots that "missed"? Not every one that carries a gun is as good a shot as we here in GB are.[:0][}:)][}:)]

What if it was a Barrett and the firing pin stuck and it was in the path of a major airlline and 10 planes that were taking off got shot down and 2,795 people died and....