In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ridgid power tools?

deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2005 in General Discussion
Hello all, went out looking to buy an 18 volt circular saw today and discovered the ridgid brand at the depot, I own ONLY dewalt and milwaukee tools that i use for my side work and was considering this one because it is a bit cheaper and looks to be well made, any feedback on these would be great .Thanks..........

nysrpa.jpgtnusa.gifNoPETA.jpg

Comments

• Options
    BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    They have a good rep. Ask about their return policy and try it out.

Their stationary stuff looks top of the line.

I also have had very good luck with Ryobi cordless. Bought an 18v drill for my son and he's still using it. You might be able to buy two Ryobis for one Rigid. Sure you can for what you spend on a Milwaukee. That would give you 4 batteries and a backup saw.

york.bmp"No taxation without representation, Join the NRA"
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Their big stuff (table saws, etc.) are great. Considering the reputation Ridgid has built over the years for their pipe threaders, conduit benders, and such, I can't see them putting their name on ANYTHING that wasn't good gear.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    axlerfanaxlerfan Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the ONLY downside i can think of is i think their power tools are made in china (correct me if im wrong)
  • Options
    BittersweatBittersweat Member Posts: 294 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can plug it in, Rigid is a good brand. Good bang for the buck.
    If you're looking for battery powered tools, stay with De Walt, Panasonic or ( some say ) Miketa. It's all about patented high energy batterys and motors. Also a good service dept. seems to help in the reputation building.

JM2C plus 15 years exp. [:D]
  • Options
    Big DaveBig Dave Member Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Lowrider
    Their big stuff (table saws, etc.) are great. Considering the reputation Ridgid has built over the years for their pipe threaders, conduit benders, and such, I can't see them putting their name on ANYTHING that wasn't good gear.
    I concur! I have a Rigid pipe threader & threading table / vise.

They CAN and DO take a beating and hold up to it! [8D]
  • Options
    ironjohn929ironjohn929 Member Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're not going to escape the CHINA thing. Just about every power tool out the is made in China, or the vicinity. At one time a couple years back, the only general use power tool you could get that was US made was a Powermatic tablesaw. Now I thing even they are made over seas. Bummer deal if you ask me. I still buy as much USA made tools as I can. Mostly hand tools.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference...The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan
  • Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always had good luck with Porter-Cable.

"My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks

Jess Hoffman
    Mooseyard Precision
    LE Supply & Firearms
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Shawano, WI 54166
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought the RIGID table combo spindle/belt sander a thickness planner and a 14" band saw.

They are good tools.

I took the band saw back because the unit from GRIZZLEY Industrial is 10 bucks less and has bearing blade guides and a rip fence included.

China is a fact of life. WE don't have to like it but they are here to stay.
  • Options
    axlerfanaxlerfan Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love my Bosch...Have a DeWalt also, but the Bosch has held up much better.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    They would probably be fine for homeowner use, but they are not an industrial tool. They will not hold up to heavy construction use. I cannot stand DeWalt either. 90% of my tools are Makita. I also have and use Milwuakee, Bosh, and Porter Cable tools. Makita remains my all time favorite for most applications. If Rigid is all that's in your buget, buy it and use it till it's dead...then maybe you will be able to afford to step up to a better tool. Just my .02

Eric

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • Options
    BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    They would probably be fine for homeowner use, but they are not an industrial tool. They will not hold up to heavy construction use. I cannot stand DeWalt either. 90% of my tools are Makita. I also have and use Milwuakee, Bosh, and Porter Cable tools. Makita remains my all time favorite for most applications. If Rigid is all that's in your buget, buy it and use it till it's dead...then maybe you will be able to afford to step up to a better tool. Just my .02

Eric

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated

I agree about Dewalt and Bosch. Dewalt is just Black and Decker built a little better and with a better warranty. As for Bosch, I sawed a muffler flange out with one of their hand held jig saws, in less than 5 minutes and from 1/4" mild steel.

york.bmp"No taxation without representation, Join the NRA"