In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Desert Eagle Opinions

JoyRide64JoyRide64 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited March 2005 in General Discussion
Thinking about buying a Desert Eagle

What are your opinions towards it?

[8D]

Comments

• MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    if i could afford one...i would good luck

"Not many like us, in fact very few, and most of them are dead" LtCol Pratt - USMC
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What caliber and what is the intended purpose? I know Rembrandt has a nice antelope mounted on the wall that he shot with his in .44 Rem Mag.

They don't make them anymore so they are rare but, if you can find one, look for one of the 14" barrels so you can get some good hunting use out of it. I found one for $300 a few months ago.

http://www.forthehunt.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=27535141
  • Hunter375Hunter375 Member Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Mk XIX .50 AE with a brushed hard chrome finish. It set me back $1339 + tax. It is certainly one of my favorite firearms. The recoil is big, but manageable. This is kind of a moot point, because you are unlikely to go through more than 100 rounds per trip at around $1 per shot. If you handload, you can reduce this to about $0.40/shot. I have a burris 1.5-4x32mm on mine and have fired groups as good as 2-1/4" with average sizes of about 2-5/8" for 5 shots at 100 yards (benched, of course). The gun is very accurate and very reliable IF you can handle it. If you limp-wrist the .50, it will become a jam-o-matic. Also, improper shooting technique will result in getting brass-faced (and at the velocity these shells exit the breech, it hurts) You may also need to remove a very small amount of material from the front of the magazine where it meets the chamber.

My handloads launch a 325 grain Speer JHP at 1513 FPS avg. That equates 1652 FPE at the muzzle. This is very easily a 200 yard deer killer.

I understand from others that this gun in .357 mag will fire the hottest loads you can get with recoil equivalent to a full-size 9mm. I have also heard the .44 is quite a ice creamcat. The .50 is a bit more of a handfull.

The Desert Eagle is a very well-made, unique pistol that has a very specialized use. It is a hunting handgun and really is not suitable for much else. If you have lusted over the intimidating silhouette of the gun for years and are a big bore fanatic, you'll love it. But the Desert Eagle ain't for everyone.

It's easy to spot liberals-they are the ones who have no assets to protect and need every handout they can get. They have forbeyed themselves ascendence to a productive lifestyle.
  • gonzo1510gonzo1510 Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My buddy got one few years ago when we were assigned to the S.F. region of Ca. Anyhow, he used it for work one day, and man you guys should've seen the expressions on everyones faces when he pulled that pig out its holster. Everything and everyone just stopped. It was magic, pure magic. Our other co-workers just stood there in awe. I feel like getting one now. (Let's crack open the wallet, nope, ain't happening)

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
  • Big DaveBig Dave Member Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hunter375, thanks for the info you posted! Very informative. [:)] I've kicked around the idea of getting a DE .50 but always wondered 'why'. I like the 'more bang for the buck' theory [;)], but it's too danged expensive to just run out and crank off 50-100 rounds. Last time I looked at rounds for it, they were right at $1.05 per round. [}:)][:0]
  • sc077ysc077y Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i put 20 round through an IMI in .50AE. i was not impressed. as a somewhat seasoned shooter, and knowing what limp wristing is and how to avoid it, all the damn thing did was jam on me.

when it didnt jam, i found it to be inaccurate, too loud (even with ear protection) and too cumbersome.

it was pretty, and im sure the .357 or .44 would fare better for me, but i just coudlnt get the feel of the gun down. it magnifies the natural swing of your arms by like, 3000 becasue the damn thing weighs so much.

im sure for a more seasoned shooter, it would be worth it. and especially if your oging to go hunting with it, but what i got out of it was a handgun that was too loud, innaccurate, unreliable, unweildy, and uncontrollable. definetely shouldnt be one of your first five handguns.

just my opinion.

it should be noted that i do NOT like recoil. i think a .45 is borderline too much recoil (which is why i have a ported slide, and both a non and ported barrel, guide rod, recoil spring), so needless to say, the larger calibers can really give me greif. im sure, if you have considerable experiance handling a larger caliber, like the .44, .454 casull, .500 win, im sure the .50AE would be nothing. for the rest of us mere mortals, (or me at least...)

"Sic Vic Pacem Parabellum"
    "Exitus Acta Probat"
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 50AE has been magnaported on both the 6" and 10" barrels. The 10" barrel with 325gr pills can be shot one-handed. Mine is very accurate and a pleasure to shoot. BTW, natchez sells the 325gr ammo for around $15/20shells.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Son's got one - doesn't shoot it much. Probably going to sell it. "Fun for a while," sez he.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I had the .44 with the 14 inch barrel, JAMB city with that one,, didnt keep it long..Musta got a hold of a bad one..
  • bugiemanbugieman Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just picked one up in Mass. Not easy since they arent on the LIST, but after perserverance I put my hands on a nice .50AE in a Black Matte finish. Looks awesome standing still and more impressive once you wrap your hand around it. Haven't had the opportunity to get the the range with it yet but will report back when i do [:)]

Bugie the believer
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Absolutely impressive. The only thing more impressive than the body-jarring recoil is that it hardly has any muzzle flip due to its 5+ lb weight[8D]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • ArmaliteA4ArmaliteA4 Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a stainless .357 with the night sights 12 years ago.

As it says in the manual, it is picky regarding ammo.

I ended up reloading for it to get loads hot enough to consistently, run through it. And possibly shoot tighter.

It was long,heavy, and not very accurate. I tested it at 25 yrds versus a 4" bbl Ruger security six.

Results,,,,,,,,,,,I still have the Ruger in my console.

I know this will make some DE owners mad, but it is my experience with a pistol I owned for 2 years and put probably 500 rounds through in an effort to like this expensive toy I had bought.

Just my .02

You may take the most gallant sailor,the most intrepid airman,or the most audacious soldier,put them together at a table.
    What do you get?
    The sum of their fears
    -Winston Churchhill

As Marines, our message to our foes has essentially always been the same, "We own this side of the street! Threaten my country or our allies and we will come over to your side of the street, burn your hut down, then whisper in your ear, "Can you hear me now?"..... And then secure your heartbeat.
    A Marine
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    I have a Baby Eagle. Haven't gotten around to shooting it, but it looks more manageable.
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    Had a Mark VII in 44 mag. Did not have many problems with it jamming but the empty brass would frequently hit me right in the forehead. That was not a plesant experience. Tried replacing the extractor and it still did it. They can be fun toys but I still prefer a good old model 29.

MOLON LABE!
    allahSortbs.jpg
    An evil tree bears evil fruit. You can destroy as much fruit as you want, but it will always grow back, and it will always be evil.

Tear the tree out of the ground by the roots and burn it. Burn it to ash and grind out the embers with your boot until there's nothing left. Not a single spark. Not a single seed.
  • Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had a couple, both mark VII's and 44 mag ... one blue and the other two-tone, SS and black matt. Never had any trouble with either but I just didn't shoot them much ... a couple weeks after I bought the second one I remembered why I sold the first one

I wouldn't mind having another but I'd want the chrome and gold trim ...
    ... a true pimp gun [:o)]
    GBLogo-170x60.gif
    Member Since 8/29/1999
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought this one years ago when Stainless frames first became available (.44mag)....great shooter, good deer and antelope gun.

DesertEagle6in.jpg

de2.jpg
  • groovinmonkeygroovinmonkey Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot the DE .50 and I likey, I likey a lot. I want to get a nice used one maybe sometime[;)]. Very well made, shoots straight, reliably, long as you got a big firm grip.

Monkey fact for the day:
    Man who go to bed with itchy butt, wake up with stinky finger!!
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    50 AE is a punked down SW 500.[}:)]

topcat1.jpg Don't "F" with kitty!! unamerican.gif
  • Hunter375Hunter375 Member Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by interstatepawnllc
    50 AE is a punked down SW 500.[}:)]

Blasphemy! I abhor such a comment and request demand that it be stricken from the record. How can one disgrace the beautiful lines of a tapered wall, rebated rim cartridge by comparing it with an obsolete rimmed design?!?!

Besides, I get 8 shots. Mr. 500 only gets 5, and he can't double-tap!
    [^]

It's easy to spot liberals-they are the ones who have no assets to protect and need every handout they can get. They have forbeyed themselves ascendence to a productive lifestyle.
  • gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    World's only crew-served handgun. The bi-pod would be useful.