In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

OLD Log Hunting Cabin

GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
edited June 2005 in General Discussion
I Have been refurbishing an old cabin that was buildt in the 1850's. Has anyone out there had experience with these old hand hewn palaces? I am getting ready to * the old sasafrass logs and I do not want to use the original mud and horse hair. I have heard that ocncrete shrinks alot, any suggestions. I also use all of my old motor oil on the exterior logs, is this OK? I have recently added a room on to the back and am covering it with rough cut hickory (got it cheap from a local sawmill). How will this hold up for sididng? Preciate all the advice!

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    A. GO TO THE LIBRARY AND GET A BOOK OR TWO ON LOG HOME CONSTUCTION (CORD WOOD CONSTRUCTION ALSO) THEY WILL GIVE YOU THE PROBER CHINKING MIX (CEMENT/SAW DUST/?). B. LOTS BETTER WOOD PRESERVITIVE THAN MOTOR OIL, I LIKE THOMPSONS WOOD PRESERVITIVE BEST (NOT WATER SEAL). HICKORY DOSEN'T HAVE A LOT OF ROT RESISTANCE, BUT WILL WORK WITH THE ABOVE MENTIONED WOOD PRESERVITIVE (SOAK BOTH SIDES BEFORE NAILING THE SIDEING ON).
  • Options
    KnifecollectorKnifecollector Member Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can use Log Jam for chinking. It looks like concrete but remains flexible. It will stretch or compact with the log movements and not crack or peel away. You can buy it in 5 gallon buckets.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i myself would use a few modern techniques, they make a chinking material for modern log homes that will have superior insulating properties, it comes in a roll and looks a bit like rope insulation, motor oil would be out , I would use Thompson's myself ,you can't see it or smell it for one, and motor oil could possible cause a fire issue since used motor oil is often loaded with gas, and is derived from petroleum in the first place
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reburbishing a hand hewn log cabin that precedes our Civil War and has withstood 150 winters deserves the respect due any precious artifact. I would either do it right--right down to replicating the original mud and horsehair chinking--or leave it alone to its dignity. My $.02.
  • Options
    bigt7mmbigt7mm Member Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigt7mm
    Feburbishing?

Means doing it for money. Don

I respect the truth too much to bring it out on every occasion.

The biggest regret of my life is the number of temptations I've resisted successfully.
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Gotta go with DWS on this one.[^]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Refurbishing in this instance means for my use! Not to sell. I am more concerned about my * freezing than putting mud back in between the joints, besides original chinking is dusty. I still give the place the respect it deserves, however it also deserves some of our newer technology.
  • Options
    woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    You didn't mention roofing, electrical, plumbing, flooring, interior walls, etc. Chances are that if any or all of these have already been "refurbished" then the building has little historical value anyway. Go ahead and do it the way that works best for you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Building is as it was in 1850 except I put a new roof on it and had to remove old fireplace. I am using original fireplace stone on the new chimney. cielings are now cedar on the inside with insulation btween the joists. There has never been electric, all lights are run on gas..has its own oil well with free gas (added in 1911). Plumbing consists of an out house 32 paces from the door, and a water colection basin from the roof piped in to one kitchen faucet. I have been told to put it on the historical registry but then you cannot make any renovations without their approval. Had to cover the original hand dug well as it is a huge liability. It sits on 20 acres on top of a mountain with 4 acres needing mowed. I am considering running electric to it UNDERGROUND,as not to have wires overhead. I like the originality of the place but real lighting would be nice and not as dangerous for my family and friends to use. Thanks for any suggestions.