In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Armed Robbery!

PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
edited September 2006 in General Discussion
I was visiting an old professor\friend of mine yesterday he related what had happened to one of his current students. The student lives on the same side of town as me, he had a knock on his door, and opened the door. In burst 5 armed thugs who held him up and robbed his house at gunpoint. Amongst the stolen items were cash, and some musical instruments. How many on this board, have even considered this as a possible scenario? Personally I have never considered more than perhaps 3 idiots attempting to rob me. Five on one odds make me want to have a rifle handy instead of my usual pistol.

Comments

• Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well, unless you answer the door everytime with that pistol or rifle, it wouldn't matter. They would be in the door before you had the chance to defend yourself.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or how about you don't answer the door? That makes perfect sense.
  • Options
    PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    Dont' get me wrong, I do'nt go about my house always armed, but I have been known to arm myself if things "Feel weird." I don't claim to be mental or anything, but I do know enough to trust my instincts...
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are certain scenarios that I do not answer the door without arming my self first.
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    After dark, I answer the door with a pistol in my hand...
  • Options
    KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usually have several loaded mags for a high-cap rifle at the ready. Not because I'm paranoid but I always think that I'll shoot the rifles when I go to the range and end up just shooting pistols all day. Since I tend to not unload the mags I got into the habit of only loading 20 in a 30rd and 10 in a 20 so as not to wear out the springs.

As to the answering the door bit. My living room window has good field of vision of that, door itself has one of those tiny (approx. 3" x 3")windows. If there's a random gang of people I don't know lined up outside the door, Mr. rifle and Mr. 30rd. mag are coming out to play.
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always answer the front door with a gun in my hand. Don
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just have my wife and her trusty and loyal miniature dachsund answer the door, that way when I hear commotion I can run out the back door!
  • Options
    dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12

Now I know to come to the back door[:D][:D]
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is nothing new and has been considered, We do not answer the door at night unless we are expecting someone, and then answer armed.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dongizmo
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12

Now I know to come to the back door[:D][:D]
    Don

If one wasn't paying attention to who said what, they'd think Don was having a conversation with himself. Which, I'm sure happens more than we know.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even LEO coworkers call before stopping by...
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's why I don't answer the door unless I'm expecting, and I keep a Cobray ready go within arms reach, oh and plenty of swords hanging all over. Plus a couple of attack birds standing by. I must admit "most" of the swords are the decorative kind.

Get a wide-angle-lens peep-hole!
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice double entendre don...
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:dongizmo
    Advanced Member

Cuba
    2696 Posts

Now I know to come to the back door
    Don

I had heard that the back door was dcons' preferance but yours too?
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dongizmo
    There are certain scenarios that I do not answer the door without arming my self first.
    Don

I agree with Don! Its a feeling you get and intitution kicks in when you look through the peephole in the door or out of the window and spot folks at the door our in the yard.
  • Options
    Happy GuyHappy Guy Member Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i never open my front door unless its someone i know. i always look through the peep hole first and then just ask them what they want without opening up.
  • Options
    Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    After dark I always have a pistol in hand when answering the door. During the day time if I don't recognize the vehicle I'll grab a pistol. My friends don't just stop by so other than a delivery, and I know if I order something, I should not have "wanted" visitors.
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    As they deal with my bulldog, I'd be running out the back door too. Wait, I don't have a back door.
  • Options
    ryan_marineryan_marine Member Posts: 635
    edited November -1
    That is why I see who it is. I have somthing in reach (hehehe) if they want to try to break it in.

Ray
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I pretty much always have a pistol in my pocket. If something doesn't look or feel right, I have it in my hand. Being out in the sticks doesn't keep away the weirdoes, freaks and kooks these days.

I used to have a next door neighbor. He died late Spring. He told me he was out back cutting hay one day and some guy came out of the woods walking toward his tractor. He stopped to see what the gentleman wanted. He said the man asked him for five dollars. Elmo was the kind of man who would have given him five dollars if he had it with him, but he didn't. Elmo told the guy if he wanted to stick around until he got finished, he would see what he could do to help him out. He told Elmo that was alright and he left. Elmo said the guy didn't do or say anything threatening, but something just didn't feel right about it. Made the hair stand up on his neck. Elmo started carrying a .25 auto in his pocket after that. He was in his nineties at the time.

Just to give you an idea what kind of man Elmo was, about five years ago a man knocked on his front door and told him he had lost his pocket knife in Elmo's watermelon patch the night before and wanted to know if he would return it if he found it. Elmo stopped what he was doing and helped the man find his pocket knife, then filled up his trunk with watermelons. Elmo was just that kind of man.

I used to have an out back neighbor too, but he died a little over month ago. They had to put his wife in a home because they can't convince her that he's dead.

I still have an across the road neighbor, but his wife if in Duke Hospital now. I'm running out of neighbors. I guess that's even more reason to go armed.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can handle 10 + 1 thugs before I need to reload. [:D]
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot the pizza delivery guy and left his body on the lawn. Nobody stops by anymore.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    During the day, the hounds keep visitors away, at night after the hounds are fed and put to bed, I raise the drawbridge and arm the minefield.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Three and five man robbery teams. Basketball builds good teamwork.
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    I usually have my CC gun on me until I go to bed. My wife knows where the shotgun is too in case we are separated. But, at night, I check outside before opening the door if someone knocks.
  • Options
    MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 3,012
    edited November -1
    If I see 5 thugs through the peephole

(after first standing to the hinge side and putting a non-trigger finger over the peep hole in case whoever's out there is watching the peephole to see when they think I'm standing right behind the door with my eye to the peephole so they know where to shoot... you guys do that too, right?)

I think I'd ask a few questions before opening my home to them.

Call me cynical.

'Sides, I always have something within diving range, if not stuck in my back pocket, when going to the door.
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My black Great Dane is always outside & generally thins the herd after dark.
    [^]barto[^]
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guess that student was never a boy scout.
    He was NOT prepared.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    I pretty much always have a pistol in my pocket. If something doesn't look or feel right, I have it in my hand. Being out in the sticks doesn't keep away the weirdoes, freaks and kooks these days.

I used to have a next door neighbor. He died late Spring. He told me he was out back cutting hay one day and some guy came out of the woods walking toward his tractor. He stopped to see what the gentleman wanted. He said the man asked him for five dollars. Elmo was the kind of man who would have given him five dollars if he had it with him, but he didn't. Elmo told the guy if he wanted to stick around until he got finished, he would see what he could do to help him out. He told Elmo that was alright and he left. Elmo said the guy didn't do or say anything threatening, but something just didn't feel right about it. Made the hair stand up on his neck. Elmo started carrying a .25 auto in his pocket after that. He was in his nineties at the time.

Just to give you an idea what kind of man Elmo was, about five years ago a man knocked on his front door and told him he had lost his pocket knife in Elmo's watermelon patch the night before and wanted to know if he would return it if he found it. Elmo stopped what he was doing and helped the man find his pocket knife, then filled up his trunk with watermelons. Elmo was just that kind of man.

I used to have an out back neighbor too, but he died a little over month ago. They had to put his wife in a home because they can't convince her that he's dead.

I still have an across the road neighbor, but his wife if in Duke Hospital now. I'm running out of neighbors. I guess that's even more reason to go armed.

Dont forget about all of your wierd neighbors here. [:D]