In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ball Powder for 220 Swift

drewtodrewto Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
edited February 2005 in General Discussion
I'm already loading IMR 4064 with a CCI primer for my Swift. A little case preasure, some slight primer flattening but incredible groups. Flat as pancake (I don't generally give out actual loads, as they might not be safe for some rifles; but mine are not off the book recommendations). I weigh every charge as the extruded powder drops poorly. Several old timers keep pushing the ball powders for the Swift. I know it drops well, but it should be dirty. Should I stick with my 4064? Is the perfect ball powder out there? I'm probably shooting 3700 fps now, and I don't want to shoot any faster. I like the idea of dropping a load vs the painstaking handloading I've been weighing. Any suggestions?
Andrew from Iowa

Comments

• bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    drewto: Get close with your powder measure, like 3 tenths of a grain under. Then use a trickler to get it there. Takes a little longer but worth it.[:)]

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIRE POWER
  • bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh, by the way welcome.[:)]

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIRE POWER
  • PRZNCOP110PRZNCOP110 Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMR4064 is a versitle powder and one of my favorites. I agree the extruded stuff doesnt meter well, but bolthandle offers good advice, drop it a little under and trickle it up. The only ball powder I use is AA2230. There are not any loads for the 220 in my LEE book using 2230. But the LEE has listings for these AA powders 3100, 4350, 2700 and 2495BR. They are all ball powders. There are also several other powders from other manufactures, but I am not sure which are Ball or Extruded. What weight and type of bullet are you shooting?

BTW, Welcome to GB!!

"SOCIETY PREPARES THE CRIME, THE CRIMINAL COMMITS IT"
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome drewto, it's nice to have you here. I was beginning to think I was the last Swift hold-out. [:D] (actually I didn't hold out too well, I had to sell mine over the winter. [:(]
    It's a great round, what are you shooting it out of?
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    The extruded stuff burns well. What powder measure are you using?

I use the RCBS electronic scale and trickler thingy and it does quite well.

"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
    Will270win@nraonline.com
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Why fix something that aint broke sounds like you have a good load.[^] A friend of mine tryed to get his 6.5 to shoot 100 grain bullets,didn't work, shot 2" at 100 yards[:0] went back to 140 and 1/2"[:D]
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I concur, don't waste barrel life looking for a new load. measure by hand and be happy with the groups that it is giving now (supposing they are good).

Chuck, your buddy obviously has a 8-9 twist barrel? I'm betting 8 twist.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    It's an old military sweed with original barrel, 3x9 scope on it, I thik it does great for what it is.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    drewto, welcome to this site and to the Swift crew - there are at least three of us here, BTW, bambi - JustC, 7mmNut and I.

To answer your question, I've never used ball powder in my Swift. 4064 is sweet and anything else is gilding the lilly. Why waste time developing a new load when the one you have is already excelletn?
  • Pistolero35743Pistolero35743 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I realize this is a long ago question, but can't resist updating this topic. I have used Hodgen 380 very successfully in several Swifts. It measures like a dream and is relatively temperature insenstive. Lacking H-380, bite the bullet and struggle with whatever gives the best accuracy/velocity combination. It is well worth the time it takes.

Pistolero35743