In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Firearms for investment purposes

beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
edited March 2007 in General Discussion
I know the majority of us here probably purchase a particular firearm "just because we want it"; but, do you, also, "hold" onto a firearm because of it's potential to increase in value? Also, it's obvious to me that increases in value of sidearms far outweigh long-guns or am I wrong?
0M9InwN.gif[

Comments

• Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Back in '91 I bought a 50th annaversery Pearl Harbor M-1 Carbine by Iver Johnson as an investment. It has the best looking tiger striped walnut stock you have ever seen on a carbine, gold inlay and a US Flag inset into the stock, the metal is all parkerized, just a good looking gun. I paid $300 for it and right now unfired NIB it's worth about $300. I've been thinking bout shooting it, I might as well injoy it, the darn thing has just been sitting there for the last 16 years
  • Options
    IncarcerationFacilitatorIncarcerationFacilitator Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Class III full auto. Thats all I buy now, albeit, not very often due to high prices. Those guns increase in value like crazy.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Bought a few hi cap glock mags on a deal 'cause I was planning on getting a glock to put them in a few weeks before the '94 ban. Traded 3 mags ($15 or $20 each) for a gold necklace for the wife in '98 that had a $500 price tag on it. Granted, that was the pawn/gun shops asking price, but I know they wouldn't have sold it for $60 :)

Just ordered an AK - I remember what prices did on them with the '94 ban as well. May try to scrape up funds for a 2nd or 3rd of 'em, as well as extra mags even for stuff I don't own.
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Thats about the only reason I hold on to them. I enjoy speculating in the gun market. I buy what I like and what I think will appreciate. I shoot them too, but only a few of them.
    9be85052daa47abb1a00a09850d3cc61.jpg
    DSCF0069.jpg
    Model12.jpg
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Lorcin 380 that I know will be worth $12 in 50yrs.

Kidding. I don't have a Lorcin.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    It depends on if you want to invest or if you want to speculate. Right now everyone expects a return for the 1994 Crime Bill and interest is high on assault type weapons. Of course if a really tough piece of legislation passes it may become difficult to impossible to sell these firearms and you will be stuck with them. If you are looking to invest then the blue chips like Colts, Winchesters and Smith and Wessons would seem reasonable choices since collectors have been interested in those guns for many decades and there are new collectors entering the market every day.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I hold on to Pre-64 Winchesters and vintage Colts and S&W's.

Not sure where the value of Savage 1899's is going to end up, but I am holding onto them also.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,683 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good shotguns will always be the big ticket items. You want to invest in a good money maker.....get a Browning Citori or an old Fox. Hand guns have an easier market and there are more of them so it may SEEM like they do better. If you want a "shure thing" go get upper end shotguns.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with above posts. The value of selected old long arms as well as sidearms is expected to continue to appreciate. The older the better.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess it all depends on what it is and how bad somebody else wants it [:D]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    rayray2jsrayray2js Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If my wife asks, please tell her the same thing I do: It's an investment. It's not like I'm REALLY spending money.
  • Options
    stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    I remember when the Mil-Surp stores had bins full of Argentine Mausers and 1903 Springfields for $35 apiece.
    I know that just the 1909 Mauser action is worth about $200 now and the 1903 Springfields will fetch about $600.
    I think the long guns do okay considering how many of them there were at one time.
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    still kicking myself for not buying that S&W Stealth Hunter... but as alway's... Guns are for killing Godless Commies, not collecting...
  • Options
    MASTERofNONEMASTERofNONE Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see the Class III stuff as a high risk/high reward category. It seems to me that for values to keep increasing the laws must remain relatively stable. If they become stricter the market shrinks - maybe disappears if a total ban - and if the regs loosen (not likely) the supply swells.

Investing in guns is simple if you're rich. Just buy a 1st generation dragoon for $$$$$. wait 10 or 15 years and sell it for $$$$$$$$$$.

For the rest of us I guess it takes a little more thought. Do you pay more upfront for a type that has already attained collectible status and has a solid following - or do you try and pick sleepers that no one seems to want...yet. Though you have to be careful with that one. No one may ever want them.

I like early Rugers. They have a following, they're SA revolvers mostly - a type that will never fall out of favor, and they're still affordable. I also like their earlier DA's in mint condition as there are lots of scarcer variations that go unnoticed in the gun shops.

What I would avoid are modern guns issued as commemoratives. There are some exceptions, but they mostly have a terrible track record.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    An economist of the FDR era made an analogy of selecting market shares (stock) by comparing it to a beauty pagent. However it wasn't just selecting which woman you thought was the most beautiful; what you were picking was the one that you figured everyone, or at least a majority would select- even if you thought that woman to be homely.

so it is with buying guns for investments. You can purchase those that are already highly sought after, such as the ones listed about as the "blue chip" invetments. While the risk in these is low, since they are already at the high end of demand, future gains will result from other aspects.

Higher appreciation occurs when you select something that for some reason is presently lags in demand, then the circumstances change and the item become highly demanded. Such choices are tantamount to buying Microsoft before it was a household word.

In addition to sorting which guns are ignored that you think may become hot, there are a few factors that also affect price changes. Generally speaking, guns that required a lot of hand labor and were also high in quality have greatly appreciated- not only did they appreciate for the above reasons, but the price followed the price the labor was demanding, so as skilled labor shortages drove up wages, guns that required labor increased in price to cover the increased cost. Ultimately labor intensive guns are discontinued because they can't compete in the "user" market with guns made by casting or CNC machining. Manufacture of the guns cease, the supply becomes set and another force on the increase of the price is put into place.

For example of the possibilities- find a gun book that shows values of used guns about 1955- also find a similar book for 2005; then look up what a Winchester Model 21 is valued at in each; and if you're real industrious, determine the gross increase, then divide by the number of years, then divide by the 1955 value. The result will be the average percentage gain per year- while there are certain stocks that will have done better, you can rest assured that yu beat the rate of inflation by a large margin.

The only problem with all this is that while I'll keep the value potential in mind when I purchase a firearm, since it would be sold until it is part of my estate, I won't have reaped the rewards of my careful choices- So, I say, shoot'em and enjoy 'em; no sense leaving a NIB Parker 28 gauge, so some ingrate kid can sell it and blow the $$.
  • Options
    kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by IncarcerationFacilitator
    Class III full auto. Thats all I buy now, albeit, not very often due to high prices. Those guns increase in value like crazy.

Reason being, the gestapo will kick your door in if you aren't licensed to own one of these "EVIL" rifles. Judging by your name you are part of the "gestapo".

[xx(]
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    An economist of the FDR era made an analogy of selecting market shares (stock) by comparing it to a beauty pagent. However it wasn't just selecting which woman you thought was the most beautiful; what you were picking was the one that you figured everyone, or at least a majority would select- even if you thought that woman to be homely.

so it is with buying guns for investments. You can purchase those that are already highly sought after, such as the ones listed about as the "blue chip" invetments. While the risk in these is low, since they are already at the high end of demand, future gains will result from other aspects.

Higher appreciation occurs when you select something that for some reason is presently lags in demand, then the circumstances change and the item become highly demanded. Such choices are tantamount to buying Microsoft before it was a household word.

In addition to sorting which guns are ignored that you think may become hot, there are a few factors that also affect price changes. Generally speaking, guns that required a lot of hand labor and were also high in quality have greatly appreciated- not only did they appreciate for the above reasons, but the price followed the price the labor was demanding, so as skilled labor shortages drove up wages, guns that required labor increased in price to cover the increased cost. Ultimately labor intensive guns are discontinued because they can't compete in the "user" market with guns made by casting or CNC machining. Manufacture of the guns cease, the supply becomes set and another force on the increase of the price is put into place.

For example of the possibilities- find a gun book that shows values of used guns about 1955- also find a similar book for 2005; then look up what a Winchester Model 21 is valued at in each; and if you're real industrious, determine the gross increase, then divide by the number of years, then divide by the 1955 value. The result will be the average percentage gain per year- while there are certain stocks that will have done better, you can rest assured that yu beat the rate of inflation by a large margin.

The only problem with all this is that while I'll keep the value potential in mind when I purchase a firearm, since it would be sold until it is part of my estate, I won't have reaped the rewards of my careful choices- So, I say, shoot'em and enjoy 'em; no sense leaving a NIB Parker 28 gauge, so some ingrate kid can sell it and blow the $$.
    Ditto, except Im not going to check out with my guns. I may leave a few for kids and grandkids, but the majority will be resold, ideally for a large profit at the right time in the market. I do not shoot the guns that are new in the box, I think its great that some people do, I try to get another similar gun that is 90% or better for a shooter. Right now, I think a new investor would be wise to pick up some of the wally world fullstock ruger 1022's to hold on to for a few years. Just dont pay over 250 for them. Thats my hot stock tip.[:p][:D]
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I like to collect handguns over long guns for a couple of reasons. I enjoy shooting handguns more and they take up less space in safety deposit boxes which are cheaper than the insurance costs of the long guns that I keep at home.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I have a Lorcin 380 that I know will be worth $12 in 50yrs.

Kidding. I don't have a Lorcin.

Add a few Jennings/Ravens to that and it will be worth $4 in 50 years.

When paper weights are hard to come by.
  • Options
    thecoltcollectorthecoltcollector Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    do you, also, "hold" onto a firearm because of it's potential to increase in value?
    yes.i started doing that about 10-12 years ago.if i would have know then what i know now....have always been a colt man and decide to do that to see what happened.i got lucky on some and not so on others.pythons are thru the roof right now.while governments arent.so im unloading my pythons at a huge gain,while im just breaking even or a little better on the governments.just put a python up for auction about 2 hours ago and its gone already.couldnt believe it.dont worry guys there are others up still.[:D][:0]