In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Couple more pics, OLD NASCAR

iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
edited May 2007 in General Discussion
I posted a couple of pics on the "76 or 77" thread, and didn't want to hijack it. So here a couple more old car pics for you old-time nascar fans.

My daughter next to one of Tiny Lunds rides. She was about wore out from walking in this pic!

birmingham084.jpg

The inside of Fireball Robert's 62 Pontiac. These boys running today would have a heck of a time running 500 miles in something like this! No "cool suits" or "swamp coolers" or "cool helmets", not even good a good seat. Just stock with some extra padding added here and there and a few pieces of foam to keep you from sliding out. Those early NASCAR guys were the REAL racers! This car, prepared by Smokey Yunick, won EVERY race at Daytona in 1962! EVERY FREAKING RACE! Plus, every time out at Daytona that year, in this car, he set a new speed record!

birmingham090.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Top = '64 Ford Galaxy 427 Side oiler, 1X4.

Second = '62 Pontiac Catalina, 421 Trophy V8, 1X4.

This was the heyday of REAL NASCAR racing. From about 1954 til about 1971, those old boys really knew how to thrash a car. Many different engine designs - cars that didn't all look alike, and real MEN driving, drinking and fistfighting.

There were also a few NASCAR events on road racing tracks. My God, the sounds !!

"Thunder Road" - Robert Mitchum. "Red Line 7000", and many more.

The pinnacle of automotive technical developement effort.

Doug
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Fireball Roberts, now that was a real driver, just think of the race records he would have if his life wasn't ended so early[V]
  • Options
    ForkliftkingForkliftking Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could post a picture of my grand dads old black and white T.V. Now, that was television. No remote, no cables running in the back except for the power cord, no fancy pushbuttons, just two big knobs. And dont forget the "rabbit ears" sitting on the top of it.
    Those cars are nice but times change. It's just a fact of life.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:This was the heyday of REAL NASCAR racing. From about 1954 til about 1971, those old boys really knew how to thrash a car.

AMEN DOUG! The Earnhardt Jr's and Gordon's of the world today with their cookie cutter cars would be left in the dust back in the heyday! They couldn't hold a candle to Roberts, and Lund, and daddy Jarret, and Petty (both Richard and Lee), and Baker and on and on. Those were REAL racers and REAL, AMERICAN MADE DETROIT IRON!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:And dont forget the "rabbit ears" sitting on the top of it.

Not necessarily...Read an article in the paper yesterday that said "rabbit ears" are making a big comeback because all local stations are broadcasting HD channels over the air and with rabbit ears you can get those channels in HD for free. Times might change, but history does have a habit of repeating itself!
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    I've got Road & Track and Car & Driver (formerly Sports Car Illustrated) magazines from the early 50s on thru the 90s...

Also in my collection of stuff-to-sell-eventually is a 1965 Daytona 500 program/magazine...

My bend is towards old ('65 or older) German and aircooled (356!), so most of what I have is "junk" to me... perhaps some of you left turn fans may like a giveaway?
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Yessir !

I'd be up for the mags. I'd pay the postage - Media Rate - if I win.

Doug
  • Options
    sotheresothere Member Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iluvguns
    quote:And dont forget the "rabbit ears" sitting on the top of it.

Not necessarily...Read an article in the paper yesterday that said "rabbit ears" are making a big comeback because all local stations are broadcasting HD channels over the air and with rabbit ears you can get those channels in HD for free. Times might change, but history does have a habit of repeating itself!
    And an invasion of poly-chokes not far behind[:o)]
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Nice pics. Thanks!
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    I bleeb that's The King's Plymouth over thar, too!

Man, those were the days! You could go to the track, camp out, watch qualifying on Friday, the ARCA race on Saturday, Grand Nationals practice afterwards, then the Grand Nationals race on Sunday, all for $20.

I met Fireball Roberts at Lakewood Speedway in (I think) 1963. I was about 9 - Pop took me down to the (then dirt) track every race day.
  • Options
    11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those are real STOCK cars!
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,380 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Swell pics! Thanks!

I have a friend, who has a neighbor, whose dad worked for Fireball Roberts.
  • Options
    dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    Cool pics.

I remember watching the races as a kid back in the late '60s, early '70s.

I had no choice, really, since no cable/sat TV...your choices were limited. ABC used to broadcast NASCAR, if I remember right.
  • Options
    jthoresenjthoresen Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    Those are real STOCK cars!

+1