In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

sunflowers

trc313trc313 Member Posts: 3,475
edited May 2012 in General Discussion
which member planted the sunflower crop? I was thinking of doing the same and was wondering when to start'em and what seed they used. If I remember correctly they just used "bird feed" sunflower seeds. This crop will be in the middle tennessee area if that helps on when to start them.....

Comments

• Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ours are already up in Kansas we planted them a couple of weeks ago since were having such a warm spring
  • Options
    dipitsdipits Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I planted 17 ac. today . Used Syngenta seed this year. I like to have them in the ground by Derby day if possible .
  • Options
    ForkliftkingForkliftking Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is what I planted last year. I used oil sunflower seed for bird feeding. 25-30 pounds per acre is plenty. I used 70 pounds for one acre last year and it was way too much. I planted two acres this past weekend. I disk the ground good, sowed it with a hand crank seeder, and then drug the ground over the seeds with a 10' long 4" H-beam.
    q2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I planted the last week of May last year and it was about a month too late. The heads never had a chance to dry out good here in Western Kentucky.
  • Options
    trc313trc313 Member Posts: 3,475
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forkliftking
    This is what I planted last year. I used oil sunflower seed for bird feeding. 25-30 pounds per acre is plenty. I used 70 pounds for one acre last year and it was way too much. I planted two acres this past weekend. I disk the ground good, sowed it with a hand crank seeder, and then drug the ground over the seeds with a 10' long 4" H-beam.
    q2.jpg

where's a good place to get the seed?
  • Options
    saserbysaserby Member Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    q2.jpg

Do you do anything to keep the weeds down while the sunflowers are small?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I got my seeds at a local farm store. Weeds were my problem last year. I sprayed a better herbicide this year a couple weeks before disking the land in hopes of better weed control.
  • Options
    thebambam2001thebambam2001 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I planted the last week of May last year and it was about a month too late. The heads never had a chance to dry out good here in Western Kentucky.

Mike, you have mail.[:)]
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Just getting into dove plots here. Last year we planted a small amount. This year we are bumping up to .25 to .5 an acre.

biggest issue we had was foxtail and brome. For doves foxtail is okay but brome not so much.

We usually use PF dove kandy. We plant them the same time as corn around here.