In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What constitutes a legal gun case?

anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
edited February 2009 in General Discussion
I live in Massachusetts and after using my own home made "gun cases" that just tie up on one end of the long bag, I am wondering what constitutes a legal gun case? [?] Does it have to be lockable in the back of my sport cute automobile? Or just tied shut. Most zipper soft cases are really not lockable ... at least in any serious sense.

In NB what I've been doing for years is fine ... just as long as it is closed (in back of your truck or SUV) or in a locked trunk.

Comments

• Options
    BlairweescotBlairweescot Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as long as it has a lock it is arguably 'legal'. A gym bag with a lock on the zipper...technically a locked container

But you live in MA so you know it's pretty much immaterial if you actually comply with law...if they want you, they get you

a "metal lockable case" would be the most officer-friendly, of course. And also of course nowadays you may want to consider have trigger locks on the guns even if they are in a locked case, as I think- don't quote me on this- that this is going to be the law soon...or did they just change that? MA makes it's laws hard to interpret on purpose

My pistol instructor (in MA) used a briefcase to transport his pistols to the class last fall. Today in Marlboro MA I watched people walk out of a gun show with rifles that had no bag or case- right in front of cops, no trouble. You didn't mention if you were asking about long guns or pistols...my rifle goes in it's cloth fleece lined bag, with a trigger lock on it

I use a Pelican case for my pistols, it's ABS plastic but has a metal ring around the hasps. It was a little pricey but they are indestructible, water-tight, and warranteed for life
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As you say: "But you live in MA so you know it's pretty much immaterial if you actually comply with law...if they want you, they get you" they do have to get me on something, right?
  • Options
    RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andersk
    I live in Massachusetts

That explains a lot.
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    If you read the law, it does not specify what constitutes a locked case. Legally, a Zip-Loc bag with a lock through it constitutes a locked case.