In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 compact

65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2005 in General Discussion
I have a 1911 compact model by springfield armory with a 4" inch barrel. Does anyone here know where I can obtain a 4" barrel?

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
- Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• Options
    jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Can I have the old one?

Lots of firms sell aftermarket barrels. You want a tight fit at the bushing [does the Champ have a barrel bushing, or is it the tapered bushingless model?].
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jsergovic

Lots of firms sell aftermarket barrels. You want a tight fit at the bushing [does the Champ have a barrel bushing, or is it the tapered bushingless model?].

It is the SA compact model with the 4" inch barrel; and yes it does have a barrel bushing.

No I do not have the old one to give you cause I sold the old one and converted over to 400 corbon. However I want to change back (4" inch barrel) since the corbon JHP rounds will not feed correctly.

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
    - Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    RadCatRadCat Member Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, you have a few options available to you.

The first one ( which is not really an option but a given) is to get a pistolsmith to "look" into making your 400 Cor-Bon feed and work properly. This is do-able.

Second, and in addition, is to contact Springfield Armory or a local (willing) dealer to obtain for you a "replacement" barrel for your firearm. Most "factory" replacement units are usually "ready fit", and should work right out of the box, otherwise a local competent gunsmith can fit and install it for you.

Third, and instead of "replacing" the original barrel, would be to update/upgrade your firearm by installing a new "bull" (bushing-less)barrel. Again, this time, the bushing gets eliminated and the new "bull" barrel will fit in the slide as-it-is with no modifications needed at all, except you will need a new "reverse" recoil spring plug. I would also recommend to install at the same time a recoil spring guide rod. You will definetely end up with a real nice gun, while still being able to interchange with the 400 Cor-Bon at will.

If you have any questions on the feasibility of this, feel free to shoot me an e-mail. I handle these issues in a daily basis. [:D][:D][:D][8D][8D]

1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys for all your help.

My 1911 does not have adjustable sights and the non-adjustable sights as we all know are rated for the 230gr round. With that said I will seriously look into getting it ramped and polished anyways so I can ensure that I have proper feeding when I need it(Gold dot HP's have always been a problem). Yes I will also look into a extra haevy barrel for high performance realibility.

- Benjamin Franklin