In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Auction Payments

aclarionaclarion Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited April 2006 in General Discussion
I am sorry to be the first post after Gun_Runer. My prayers are with you and your family at this sad time. Have strength in the Lord and he will see you through this. Your Father is not suffering anymore and hopefully one day in the afterlife he will see his grandson.

I am trying to rid myself of PayPal and their anti-firearm rules. Does anyone have a better alternative to pay for online auctions?

Rick

Comments

• Options
    MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    any certified funds;MO, cashier check,

or if the seller accepts credit card, or personal check...
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,004 ******
    edited November -1
    I take personal and business checks, as well as money orders and certified checks. I haven't been stung yet.
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    This brings up a good point. As nunn has pointed out he will take personal checks. Why do people not like taking them? As long as they wait for them to clear before shipping the item, I don't see what the problem is. Is it just that some sellers like moving at a faster pace?
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by matwor
    This brings up a good point. As nunn has pointed out he will take personal checks. Why do people not like taking them? As long as they wait for them to clear before shipping the item, I don't see what the problem is. Is it just that some sellers like moving at a faster pace?

The only logic I see in not taking personal checks is the delay in shipping while waiting for the check to clear. It drags the transaction out for another 10 business days. Since I sell relatively few items I don't mind accepting personal checks, but I can see where a high volume seller might wish to keep things moving along more quickly.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I always use USPS Money Order and send it Priority Mail with Delivery Conformation.
    This protects you and the seller. If it is lost it is easy to get replaced and you can prove to the seller it was lost if need be. That wat you don't end up with any negitive feedback on you.
    I believe in C.Y.A. (cover your a**) and I feel that is the best way to do it.
    I have never had a problem on GB but have had people on FleaBay say they never recieved payment. By useing my payment method I was able to prove they did get payment and problem was solved.
  • Options
    bobinwisbobinwis Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One keeps reading about how sellers can't possibly ship merchandise because it takes 15-20 days for personal checks to clear. I can't believe that none of them do not have checking accounts and this is just totally incorrect. Compare your checkbook register with your bank statement someday and see the timespan involved. Floating checks is really risky now if you have ever done it.

Last year the banking system initiated a new electronic system for clearing checks. You don't get your paper checks back anymore but you can get copies if necessary.

I have sent personal checks halfway across the country. One of my recent ones was cleared by my bank the evening of the same day the seller deposited it in his account. I mailed it on a Monday, he received it on a Thursday, deposited it, and it cleared that evening. It rarely has taken over 5 days after mailing it for one to clear.....anywhere.....unless your mail is delivered by horseback, the bank sends a strongbox by stage, or the seller only goes to the bank once a week.

Just my thoughts on the subject. I liked Nunn's comment.

My sympathies to Gun_Runer and his family. Regards, Bob
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    I for one have been burned by jerks sending bad personal checks on two occasions. When a check gets returned through my bank, I am charged $20. I now no longer take personal checks, only USPS Money Orders. I clearly state that it in all my listings. That way the person knows before hand to bid or not to bid. I could care less if someone elects not to bid on something I have up for sale because they only want to pay for it on their terms and not mine.
  • Options
    65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have your heart set on a online payment system, I suggest you try an alternate to pay-f#$k:

www.gearpay.com

The 'random' charges have me sort of worried, but they claim that it will be only a couple of times and no more than $1.00.

19. Activities not allowable:

Your information and your activities, including payments and receipts of payments, through the GearPay LLC and GearPay.com service shall not:

(1) GearPay.com users are NOT allowed to use their GearPay.com account in fundraising for or to the benefit of Anti-Gun, Anti-Hunting or Anti-Military organizations.

(2) GearPay.com users are NOT allowed to use their GearPay.com account in support of Anti-Gun, Anti-Hunting or Anti-Military legislation, activities or persons/organizations that support such causes.

(3) Activities that are misleading, false, inaccurate, illegal or involving illegal goods and services.