In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

range report

bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
edited September 2007 in General Discussion
Finally got the chance to take the Beretta Neos .22 out to the range this weekend. Mounted a Sig red-dot scope on it that I bought from a friend. I put 450 rounds through it(Remington Viper's, Remington Thunderbolts, CCI Blazer's, CCI Velociter's, CCI Stinger's, and Federal blue box. Was really happy with the cycling and had 0 malfuctions, even when I loaded all 6 mags and rapid-fired the 60 rounds. Was very happy with that. I can't even say the same about my Ruger 22/45. Was also pretty happy with the trigger pull. I was a little disappointed with accuracy, not quite as good as my Ruger. It is definitely acceptable, but I am hoping it gets a little better the more I get it broke in and find the ammo it likes best. In the end I am very happy with this little pistol and it should serve it's intended purpose very well(a good little squirrel/plinking gun).

Jon
Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Former NSSA All American
Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
MO, CT, VA.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    First time I've been to the range in a couple years. Pocket pistols both fired all rounds (that had been in the guns for ages)

I function fired some .38 snubbies. All seemed to hit more-or-less at point of aim., but the Rock Island Colt style won't function in double action.

I was extremely pleased with the Rock Island 1911 9mm (first 9mm auto I've ever owned). Very tight groups.

Rock Island 1911 .22 was very disappointing repeated failure to extract. I was limited on time as I didn't get to the range until almost sundown so I didn't spend any time trying to make it work.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    SKS worked well, shot 200 rounds of my wolf ammo...FUN...we were all safe none of us were hurt...(friend got burnt on barrel,his sks), I would never get my SKS barrel that hot. Bottels and targets didn't stand a chance...
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Finally got a chance to shoot my S&W Model 10-6. 4" heavy barrel.
    I love it.
    Shoots far easier than any of my Sigs. Cut the center dot out at 25 feet

I could knock down the 6" plates at will.
    I'm shooting my cast reloads and it just ate them up.
    I am more than thrilled.
    I will see my father in law and thank him again for his generosity in giving me the gun.
    I put a set of mother-of-pearl grips on and she's beautiful as well.

Not smart enough to post pics from my Kindle
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just bought my 6 year old a Cricket rifle for her birthday. I must say the gun is very low quality and I'm not impressed a bit with the thing. I'd rate it about the quality of a raven or jennings. Had several issues with the bolt out on the range.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, got to shoot on Sunday (finally). Took the new Glock for a spin. I like it.... a lot.

First time I shot it, I hit a pop can at 25 yrds. Made me quite happy. Was holding 6-8 in groups at 25 yrds thereafter. Not impressive by any stretch but this was the first time I'd been out with it.

Had fun with the 16 ga too. Shooting pistols is second only to shooting clays as far as enjoyable shooting goes. Clays make great 25yrd pistol targets too (why hadn't I thought of that before?)

Totally forgot how much the plastic buttplate of my 30.06 hurts when I don't hold it tight to the shoulder, and with only a t-shirt to pad it. Let that happen on the first shot and was done after 4 (was there to shoot my new pistol anyway). Needless to say I was wholly unimpressed with my shooting with it yesterday anyway. That 4 shot group was at least 5 inches at 100yrds and left of center by about a hand breadth as well. It could possibly be the ammo as I was shooting, as it was some Sellier FMJ that I hadn't ever shot before, but I doubt it.

Had the 10/22 out too. Got a new 25 rnd mag for it, which failed to feed properly for the first 20 rnds. Was about to return it, when I decided to give it another go. Thereafter, it fed as well as the standard mag (I always seems to give me at least one FTE per 10.. probably need to oil the action a bit... it's still being broke-in). I need to put a real scope on the 22. The eye relief is terrible but it does work, I guess. Of note, drilled a clay with the 22 right thru the center, and didn't break the clay.

Also tried out some bird shot in the 22. At ten yards it does put holes in an old plastic oil bottle. But only scratches the label on a beer bottle. Doesn't cycle the action. It will likely put your eye out, but not much more.

Incidentally... Shoot-n-see made a believer out of me. Had mediocre experience with it in the past. Did they improve it recently?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I bought an Inland M1 Carbine
    and it is fun to shoot.
    What is odd with this rifle is
    that I don't need a scope (tired eyes)
    to hit targets (which I am very pleased to say)
    Easy to reload, fun to shoot.
    I think I'm gonna get a Ruger mini-"something".
    Seems pretty close to the Carbine-looks wise.
    Any advice on which Ruger to get would be greatly
    appreciated.I'm not expecting much in the accuracy
    dept. I shoot steel out to 100 yds 12" plates.
    I have a RRA .223, I was kind of wondering about
    the mini 30.
    Thanks-Ron
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    on a lighter report if anybody gives a ---- [8D]

Nobody shot themselves or anybody else today .[:D]
    was a little crowded a lot of new shooters.[:)]

no jams no duds wasted about 500 rounds (300 22s)[;)]

new AK worked, AR,DE50 AND ,DE44 all good EVEN THE REM 522 [:p][:p]

NOW I GET TO CLEAN THEM UP[^][:(][^]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Finally got some Hornady 44 mag leverevolution Henry Big boy loves them about 3" high at 100 yds compared to remington corelokts nice group for open sights and old eyes my model 29 grouped real good too the colt anconda didn't like them ran out before I could try them in the ruger carbine. forgot to bring camera this time hopefully get pictures of targets next time
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Took a couple I hadnt fired yet and was suprised how good they operate..I took the 9 mm largo 1921 spanish police pistol the Astra, and been so long since I shot the hopped up 9mm , I forgot just how hot is was.. Extremely accurate.. It will also shoot the .38 auto but I dont have any .38 auto ammo.,.

astra.jpg

The 1910/22 FN (browning patent) .32 auto was owned by a Nazi Soldier,was excellant in its performance. Not much bang but accurate..

Browning.jpg

Didnt take Beth long to zero in with the 1911A1, after almost a year of not shooting.. A good couple hours spent..[:D][:D]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I went to the shooting range with my cousins. We got there, I opened my case, picked up my 44 magnum and the base pin latch nut fell off. It dropped right in front of me into the dirt. All three of us down on our hands and knees and we never found it. Oh well. My cousin had his S&W 629 in 44 mag as well as a carbine in 44 mag.

Looks like I'll be ordering from Midway tomorrow.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My son and I got to take my new Kimber Gold and his new Glock 23 out to the range today.
    First off the Kimber is soooo sweet. I wish I had gotten one of this along time ago.
    Second, the Glock, this is the first time I have fired a Glock. I am not ready to compare it to the Kimber but I may just have to go get a model 17 or 19.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    took the encore 7mm-08 out this weekend to site it in for deer season
    the one in the bulls eye was the 3ed shot the other 3 above it were
    the 1st two and then the 4th shot. not bad for a 100 yards the shot on the left and right were at 150 yards and I could not see the black bulls eye with the 4x scope (the cross hairs covered the thing up)
    not bad out of a 15" pistol
    I may work on the 150 yard shots some more but for this season Im sticking to 100 yards or less untill I get to shot it more.

IMG_0014-2.jpg
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I guess I should say 'back yard report'...

Took the AR's out today for some shootin' fun. The wife wanted to go along too. My buddy was bringing over his AR's, one of which is chambered in .204. Wife wanted to shoot that one in comparison to the .223. She wants one or the other for a coyote gun, but can't decide which (Yay...get to buy another gun!!).

Anyway did some shooting steel targets at 100yds, then further out. My buddy's got a DPMS HB 24" in .204 and another 24" HB in .223 with a brake, both scoped with some pretty nice glass. Wife shot pretty darn well with both, but the 24" HB's are just too heavy for her taste.

Then we decided to back up. The furthest we could get was 315 yards, so we decided to try from there. Lots of hits for my buddy and I, but wife unit was having a hard time getting a good cheek weld with the collapsable stocks. Plus we had a pretty stiff crosswind blowing by now.

My buddy hits a few in a row with his .204 and starts grinnin' (sorta like 'top that!'). Game on; so I grabbed my Bushy 16" M4/A3 with iron sights, clicked it up a couple clicks. He's sayin' "no way are you gonna make..." Just about then I was in position...<Bang>...<ding!> <Bang>...<ding!> <Bang>...<ding> <Bang>...<ding> <Bang>...<ding!>; "Your turn!" says me, with a big fat grin. [:D]

He hit a couple, then we went back to shooting the other guns. All in all I hit the steel 16 times out of 20 with my iron sighted M4/A3. I thought that was pretty good, considering the wind and downhill terrain.

Then we walked back and broke out the pistols. Wife recently passed her CCW so she wanted to get some training/practice in (wants a CCW pistol also...YAY, get to buy another gun!). She had never shot a centerfire pistol before, let alone a 1911. Well, holy crap, this girl can shoot!! She even did the 'Hot brass dance' when she took one down the brazier. [:D] She did great thought, and we all had a blast!

Nothing like the smell of burnt gunpowder in the afternoon breeze!

[^]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Went to the range today to sight in the Thompson Center Ventura in today for the price these are good rifles the action is as slick as my Tikka I got this rifle for less then 350. 00 couldn't be more pleased

got it from from casey a few months back and put a Vortex scope on it image_zpsbay4kbu6.jpg
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I took the CZ, newly aquired Taurus, and the newly aquired Marlin to the range today. I had my father-in-law tag along as a spotter.

Went to the pistol side first. The 40caliber CZ never ceases to impress me. A total pleasure to shoot. You can shoot it all day long with hot reloads and not feel it. Groups real nice off a rest. 2" @ 10yds, I'm sure with more practice I could dial it in better. I have made the conclusion that Alliant Bullseye powder is way to dirty. I put 100rds out today and it looked as though I shot 500. I have always thought that CZ's ergonomics are wonderful, but after looking at a Ruger P94 the other day with it's Hogue grips, I'd have to put the CZ second. The balance of the CZ makes for very quick follow-up shots, very easy to keep on target. I have to comment on the ease of cleaning in the CZ, hold the slide back and pop out the take-down pin, pull the slide off and your in buisness. Over 1500rds though it and not a FTF or FTE, with no misfires. Firing pin hits dead-center every time.

I'm very pleased with the Taurus Millenium Pro 9mm. I just picked it up less than a week ago. Also delightful to shoot. Not as accurate as the CZ, but much more accurate than the Keltec P3AT that this is replacing as a carry gun. I picked a box of CCI Blazer 115gr FMJ and 3 boxes of Remington 115gr MC. All functioned flawlessly, I wasn't overly impressed with the CCI's aluminum case, especially since it is a factor in producing cheaper ammo. However, the Remington green box at $6.50/box is over a dollar cheaper than the CCI. I thought the green box was also cleaner. Gun felt real nice in my hand. My father-in-law is over 350lbs and has big meaty hands, he also commented on the feel. The gun was balanced well and recoil was quite manageable, makeing in quick follow up shots. I have noticed that empty cases are not tossed the 20ft distance that the CZ puts em out. Instead they are tossed almost straight up. The CCI Blazers only popped cases about 6" out of the gun. About 2 feet with the Remington's. A few landed on my head.

The biggest suprise of the day was the Marlin 917VR that I purchased about 2weeks ago. It's their "new" addition to their 17HMR lineup. Blue heavy barrel on synthetic with their T900 trigger system. I wasn't in the mood to drop a couple hundred dollars on a scope so I ordered a Barska Huntmaster Pro 3-12x50 illuminated reticle scope to top it with, just to get a feel for their quality. I was very impressed with their intial quality and workmanship, for $40 I was a little anxious to find out how it would be. It is a very solid and well-made scope. It's multi-coated optics make for a crystal clear sight picture and it sports 12 brightness settings for the illuminated reticle. For the money, I really don't think you can beat this scope.

I took the scope and rifle in grabbed a set of Burris rings and had the scope mounted and bore-sighted. A real beauty with the scope mounted. After we finished with the pistols and cleaned em up, we drove down to the 100yds rifle range. Set up our rifle rest, targets, and rifle and got to work. We brought along Winchester Supreme, Federal, and CCI ammunition. The Winchester's sported polymer tipped V-Max bullets and the others had Speer TNT bullets, all in 17gr. The first 5rds scored in the 10ring at 4 o'clock. Immediately I could tell I really liked this gun. Just enough oomph to let you know that you were shooting something. A high-pitched "crack" told you this was no 22. From checking out the first set of rounds, I was very impressed with the consistancy of the groups and I knew this was a sweet little rifle. A few adjustments brought them to about the 3 ring at 9 o'clock, little too much I guess. A couple adjustments and 5rds later, we were cutting bullseyes.

This is the best group we had. The day was beautiful, ~80degrees, sun at our backs, just a few clouds in the sky and a soft 5mph breeze at all times. I shot this group around noon today, 5rds covered by a nickel. I haven't measured it yet. Needless to say, I am very impressed.

5 rounds at 100yds.

guns.jpg

We then took it down to the 225yd range and set up some prarie dog shoot-n-c targets. I don't have a spotting scope so we decided to just throw some rounds out and see if we hit anything. We were a little low on our elevation as each round hit the bottom 1/4 of the P-dog. The rounds were still really close. If I had more time to run back and forth down the range we could have tried to get some tight groups, but I wasn't holding my breath. I think I'll stick the the 100yd range from here. At least for a while. We did meet a good-ol-boy who had built a Ruger M77 in 22-250, topped with a Baush and Lomb 6-24 scope and a super light trigger, you don't pull it, you just touch it. A real nice gun, he had us put some rounds through it, and I can tell you, I know what rifle I want next!

All in all it was a great day, beautiful, plenty of people out, shooting everything from 22s to 30-06's and more.

Marlin.jpg
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This is the first day in several that we didn't have fog so, I was able to get the new, to me, rifle out today. Sine I slept longer than intended and was pressed for time, I decided to shoot off the hood of the Jeep.

Note to self: Whether it's convenient or not, drag out the bench.

I had a tough time issolating my heartbeat from the side of the hood, and it shows in my grouping. The final group, lower right, was the result of a folded blanket between my chest and the hood.

target.jpg

With a ton of practice I should be up to what this rifle is capable of.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    went to the range today and took only three guns along,, the new little Beretta with the long barrel, never a malfunction, the sights leave a lot to be desired, but managed to keep the shots in a 6 inch circle at 20 yds.

The Smith 686, 2 1/2 inch .357, lotta bang, sorta accurate for that kind of gun,, nothing to brag about

The Smith K.22 masterpiece, model 17 shoots as pictured below,, 20 yds one hand, standing, Ifn I wasnt so old and shakey, I probably could hit the target.[:0]

target.jpg
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Went top the range this morning with Roger Ruger and the Trapdoor twins.

Since I was a kid, going to the movies every Saturday morning and watching Western movies, I always wanted to own a six shooter like the cowboys. While I was on the police department, we carried S&W 38's, but somehow it just wasn't the same, LOL.

Now that a shooting iron by Ruger in 45 Long Colt has joined my collection, I feel just like Tom Mix. (I'll wait while you youngins go and ask your parents who Tom Mix was, haha.) Anyway with my western holster slung low on my hip, I was having fun.

Then it was time to try out the Trapdoor twins. I have two Springfield Trapdoor rifles both made in 1884, in 45/70 caliber. This was their first time at the range for me and both performed very well. We have discussed this before, but it is a real feeling of history to fire these weapons. It is a strange feeling to shoot a single shot rifle after firing an M1 Garand so often.

The 45.70 round is a powerful cartridge and watching plastic soda bottles fly high into the air after getting hit is a rush. (doesn't take much to excite me )

One of the rifles had a small problem in that the extractor is weak and I had to extract spent casings by hand. It wasn't extracting them fast enough to hit the ejector. I guess it's time to try and find a new spring for a 120 year old rifle. If'n anybody has one, shout out, OK?

All in all, it was a fun morning, and now I have three guns to clean, so I'll sign off and get to work..........

njretcop@copmail.com

vic.jpgdd.art
    Charlie
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [imgtarget.jpg
    img]
    [img][/img]mosin.jpg
    I had a job today that was close to the range. So I put my two 91/03's in the work van, then hit the range after I did the job.
    When I got these rifles they would hit high and to the left. I had to aim low off the paper and to the right off the paper. Just to hit the target. So I did some reading up then some tuning up. And here is how it turned out. There is a couple of things I can do more (which i will) to tighten the groups up. But from not hitting the paper, to this I am very happy so far. Oh yea 50yrds with cheap surplus ammo and 20 shots each.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I received my Mosin Nagant
    and took it to the
    field, My friend and hid boy loved
    it.I shot nice and accurate once
    we got used to the "take up"
    in the trigger.Shooting this relic
    is quite a bit of fun.I"m used to
    bull barrels with strong scopes but
    I tell ya, I'm looking forward to the
    next outing and also looking for another
    military rifle.I"m gonna buy another,they're
    inexpensive and I'll lose mine,I'm sure as soon
    as my grandson shoots it.
    Question:I shot non-corrosive ammo.
    Just how difficult is it and what do you use
    and how thorough are you cleaning your rifle
    after using corrosive ammo?
    Thank-rong
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I had three things I wanted to accomplish today, shooting related.
    one was to drift the sight on my Browning High Power.

Before
    61013_zps93cf4d48.jpg
    The tools. I sought advice from ATE before I used any of these.
    6109_zps656d5a2c.jpg
    A little bit of marring.
    6108_zpse982cfe8.jpg
    Nothing a black Sharpie cant take care of.
    6107_zpsea8b28de.jpg
    The results. Fired from 15 yards with sand bags (13 shots) GTG for me.
    6103_zps8f6077b9.jpg

The second item on my list was to mount my new American Defense AD Recon H throw lever mount. I received the mount today and rigged it up with a Leupold VXIII 1.5-5x20. The mounting is so easy that even I didn't have any hiccups. The mount is rock solid and looks good in my opinion. The quality is A+. I will report back at a later date with a repeat 0 test. I have no doubt that the Recon series has Larue looking over their shoulder.
    61010_zps5318cb02.jpg
    6106_zpsa469926d.jpg
    onelastone_zps4c07204b.jpg

After I bore sighted the carbine I shot some 55 FMJ to get it on paper.

The third thing on my list was to shoot 2 hand loads I had loaded yesterday,Sierra 52 grain HPBT MK and Midway DogTown 55 grain FBHP. Both loads show promise, but my 8 plus pound trigger does not make for bench rest tight groups. My RCBS trigger gauge only goes to 8 pounds. I had free float hand guards on my list to buy, but they are taking a back seat to a Geissele trigger.
    61012_zps6545e467.jpg
    6102_zps9cb902f3.jpg

And a Group of PMC Noise Makers
    6101_zps7909f31b.jpg

A cool hammer tool that has been in the family around 80-90 years.
    6105_zps224de893.jpg
    All put back together.
    6104_zps83553ffc.jpg
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ruger GP-100

At 50 feet i was able to keep all the shots on a paper plate. The trigger is very heavy but smooth. I was having problems with the .357's. It seemed like the * end of the round, where the primer is, is too thick, and it woldnt let me close the cylinder, i didnt have this problem with the .38's, but i think itmay have been the cheap ammo, some kind of American Manufacturers ammo. Other than that i couldnt be happier with the gun, it shot about an 8 inch to 1 foot fireball out of the muzzle. And, as always, the glock functioned perfectly! [;)]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Took a couple of guns out to the range today. (Public range - unsupervised)

Placed the new Burris AR-536 on my DPMS .308 Fired one shot @ 50 yards, adjusted once and put 4 in the black you could cover with a quarter. Moved target out to 100 and shot about a 3" 5 shot group in about 5 seconds. I like it.

I had put a new scope on my savage 22 mag and wanted to test 6 different types of ammo. Federal game-shock won with 4 in a cloverleaf and one 1/2" high of the group. Hornady 30gr v-max were close 2nd followed by CCI HP, Winchester, Remington, then Armscor.

Next was a new gun/scope. Savage 16 in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Burris E1 6.5-20X50. Sweet shooting gun. About as flat as a 270, recoils like a 243. Had it dialed in after 5 rounds and grouped well for me. I like this combination for a cutover/powerline gun. There will be blood!

Lastly I put a hundred rounds downrange from my new PSA closeout FNS40 with night sights. Gun felt well in my hand especially after switching out the backstrap. Shooting a little low and right out of the box but grouping real well. Zero FTF/FTE.

All-in-all a very enjoyable day. Met some nice folks there too.

p.s. Picked up 4-500 pieces of once fired brass above what I shot!
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just got back from the range.
    I was able to take out that mini - 14 I have been looking at. Very very, very nice rifle. A definite tack driver, but, neither of the mags that he had for it would feed at all. So we used it as a single shot... gonna go to the gun shop tomorrow and see what I can get a couple of mags for, just to make sure it is only a problem with the magazines. Also took several of the .45's out, the Sig and a couple of Colt's. Every time I fire the Sig, I fall in love with it again, not that Colts aren't nice, jhust the Sig is so smooooooth. Anyway, a good time was had by my sons and I.

If you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    took the wife to ft lee skeet range to derust some shotguns. wife shot 2 games with her 20ga M50 and i shot 4 games with my M12 16ga. perfect day. talked with some joes' up from bragg and they tell me not eveyone in 82nd airborne is airborne any more. theyre hurting so bad for men, they take legs. they tell me airborne troopers have to beg SPECOPS for jumps. sad indeed.
    anyway, i had lunch in the shade, drove around town, and headed back home with my best friend in the world. [:X]
    leaves are starting to change. its gonna get nice in a month.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We went to a range called buffalo creek shooting range. It ws 25 bucks, and you could go toany of the ranges.We went to the rifle range to zero in out optics and then headed over to the pit. If you live in IL it is definatley worht the the drive. The colt handled all the ammo after the break in period, Some guy gave us 00buck and now im bruised. The only thing that came lose on the colt was my houge grip. I also left the binos at home so it was no fun trying to zero in the aimpoint wit a 3x burris. The pit was huge. They need to put some cars in there and a truck to the back left. While cleaning the AR's my friend lost the small pin that holds the firing pin in. What is it called and where can he get another one, we were thinking hardware store but we want the right part.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I went out to shoot my 1896 Swedish Mauser 6.5x55 today. Making a long story short. Results are: 140 gr. Core Lokt Remington; 4+" group at 85 yds. (odd range, I know). 120gr. Nosler Balistic Tip Handload; 1.5" group, same distance. Conclusion: Remington Factory fodder sucks in my rifle. I shot two groups of 3 from the Remington box 1ST, then shot one group of 3 shots of the Nosler. If anything, the Remington had the advantage of a cleaner barrel, and a cooler barrel. Purpose of this exercise was to decide whether or not to continue on with a sporterizing project of an old stock for this gun. The project will go on, that group is promising, and good enough if it doesnt get any better than that.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I finally made it the range today, but only had 1/2 an hour to spare. Took the new Beretta 9000S-F in .40 S&W and the Ruger Security Six in .357. The Beretta Neos remains unfired at this point. [V]

I did OK with the Security Six at 15 yards -- 3" group. With a 2" barrel, I figure that is acceptable. This was also with the factory grips, which were not unpleasant to shoot. I did install a set of Hogue Monogrips this evening, so I'll be interested to see how much of a difference they make.

The 9000S-F is another story, and I think it needs another trip to the range. I don't know if is the gun or me. I shot it last, and I was running out of free time. Most of my shots were low and to the left. If I aimed at the head of the target, I was able to hit the center consistently with S&B 180 Gr FMJ. With Federal Premium 180 Grain HydraShocks, I was all over the place -- always on target, but no consistency. I picked up some Remington Golden Sabers to see if they make a difference.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Took my Rem 700 270 and 308 out
    of moth balls to see if my jitters
    have settled down any.
    At a 100 yds the targets
    looked like they were hit
    with a ten inch pattern of
    buck shot.wobble ,wobble
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Buddy and I made it to the range today and shot for a short while. P238 performed flawlessly, just as I expected it to. Very nice shooting. Wish the trigger was a little lighter, but I guess I can live with it. After all, it's not a target pistol. LOL.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just returned from the range, shot the Glock 17, The Smith and wesson 10mm, and the Taurus Millinium Pro 9 mm

Glock was right on, needed a little right sight adjustment then it was right on the money.

The Smith 10mm not too bad, kept em in the black, nice feel to this one

The Taurus, leaves a little to be desired for accuracy, but again not a bad feeling pistol..

Either one of the three , I wouldnt hesitate to use..
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here is my sight in target for my Remington M700 5R Mil-spec barrel in 7.62x51. I started at 25yds. and moved it out to 100yd once I had the zero close. All shots taken with Winchester 150 grain power point. I will be switching to a 168gr. bthp as soon as I get my reload supplies. I also included a picture of the rifle.
    1216577337.jpg
    100_0605.jpg
    100_0607.jpg
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Went to a local indoor range nearby here today. Not my normal range, but these are nice guys. Wanted to try some different .45 loads (all hollowpoints). The rangemaster says "no hollopoints unless you're the only one on the line" (they've had problems with them fraggin'). Okay, no problem. I understood.

Well, I only had two other pistols I wanted to shoot. One was my little .25 auto, and that was fun. The other was my Ruger SBH .44 mag. I asked if it was okay, and they were fine with it (provided I was shooting FMJ's...and I was).

There are 8 lanes. Shortly after I got done shooting my .25, a couple new guys came in. One was an instructor, the other was a student. I was cleaning up some brass and making my range bag orderly while he was instructing his student.

It took me a few minutes to get ready to shoot with the .44 mag. I loaded up six rounds and took the target out to 25 yards. They were busy plinking away with some 9mm or something. The instructor starts telling his student about how he's got some 'big' gun that he can shoot sometime when he learns the "rules". I didn't look, but it sounded like a .357 mag (maybe). The student walks around the back of his instructor and he's watching. The guy was a good shot. He was 'x' ringing at 5 yards [:D]

I pull up the SBH and fire one round. Fire shoots out like your usual .44 mag shot. BOOM! The student FREAKS. "GEEZUS...WHAT THE H#LL WAS THAT???" BOOM!! ... BOOM!! I hear the instructor say ... "some kind of cannon...", then he says "Bill???"

The guy totally bolted out of the door!! He was outside! The rangemaster called to him and told him it was okay (but he later said he was even flinching and ducking outside!!!).

I kinda felt bad for him. I hadn't even planned on shooting my .44, but because I couldn't shoot any hollowpoints, I really didn't have much choice. Besides, I hadn't shot my SBH in a couple months.

(sorry to scare the new guy...I honestly didn't mean to).

FCD

"Fortes et liber"
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well...i've had my first gun for about a month now and have finally gotten to take it to the range and get some time with it.

this is me with my pa-63
    me.jpg

this is my first target.....all green dots are my fiance's attempt
    100_2046b.jpg
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A while back I promised to give a range report on the .22-250 I purchased, so here it is. I can't wait to see what some of my reloads will do.
    Gun--Remington SPS Varmint .22-250(26" heavy bbl)
    Ammo--Remington UMC 45 Gr. JHP
    Range--100 yard
    target-1.jpg

Jon
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I took two new to me rifles to the range today. The first was a Japanese Arisaka type 99 re-barreled in 30-06. I picked this up at a pawn shop for $125.00. It has a rear Lyman peep sight that is windage and elevation adjustable. It has a very well tuned trigger and the bolt has been modified to cock on the up swing. This thing is a tack driver. At a hundred meters I stacked two on top of each other and the other two opened it up a bit to about 3". I was using Winchester store bought 165 grain SP. This thing kicks like a mule. I'll be adding a recoil pad soon.

IM000577.jpg
    IM000578.jpg

The other rifle was my new JDL PTR-91. This is a sweet set up. It has a heavy trigger pull (about 9 lbs.) but other than that it's a shooter. I was shooting Sellar & Ballot 147grm FMJ. Eight of ten were in a nice group of 4 inches at 100 meters. Two were fliers that opened to 6 inches. I can live with this until I get the trigger pull reduced. Not too bad with open sights.[:D]

ptr.jpg

Stay Alert! Stay Alive. Good luck out there.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I finally had the freetime to take my new Marlin 1895 45-70 out to the range the other day. It was an eventful trip and a nice walk through the Knee deep snow to get to the bench and target, but well worth it[:D]. I shot about 15 shots with Hornady Leverevolution ammo with good results. Zero jams and a pretty decent 3 shot group for shooting freehand (had sandbags with me, but that is a long story) at 25 yards. The square is roughly an inch and a half. Lets' just say I was definitely impressed and I think that I may have a new favorite gun[:0]. The only thing that I can see doing in the future is maybe ordering a set of ghost ring sites to throw on it.
    target.jpg

Jon
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I bought a new Kimber Pro Carry 2 on sunday, today I went to the indoor range and put 100 rnds down range, not alot I know but it was all I had time for. Anyway the first 21 rds went center mass at 5 yards, the next 21 went CM at 7 yards then to 15 where they were a bit more spread out but all in the chest cavity area, the rest of that box were also good hits. Changed targets and brought it back to 7 and put 3mags into the head, ran it out to 25 yrds and peppered the body of the target pretty well, I did miss 6 times or at least the shots were un-accounted for. pretty good for a new gun. I think I will hold onto this one for a long while.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I went to the local police range this morning to sight in my hunting rifle for deer season. I figured, "Since I'm going to the range, I might as well shoot my M1A, too...."

Here's my first set of shots with my Remington 700, chambered in .270. Not the best shots, but since I don't take very long shots, and I killed two last year with two shots, I should be OK. I'm pleased with the one exact bullseye!

l_714f9c33c894401e998cef27058a7420.jpg

OK, on to "Jayne," my M1A....first I did 20 shots, adjusting my sights after every 5 shots. I didn't take a picture of this target because they were bad. However, here's 20 consecutive shots at 100 yards with open sights. The breeze was fairly gusty, too, so not too shabby, I think.

l_70d680f3b4604d208790e922fd493f62.jpg
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay, so I finally got to the range with some stuff other than just my carry weapon. My dad has been up for the week for a visit. We had hoped to get out to the outdoor range, but the weather was not cooperating. We ended up going to the indoor range instead. We had to justify him packing all those weapons in his truck for the trip after all. [:)]

First up: Glock 23 (with a twist): I took my Storm Lake, drop in, 357 Sig barrel for my Glock 23 (40 S&W) and put about 100 rounds through it. Some might ask "Why". Well, because I can.

Only complaint: You can't interchange the G23 magazines with the 357 Sig ammo and get the mags loaded to full capacity. The follower is different. 10 round G23 (40 S&W) magazines become 8 round 357 Sig mags and 13 round G23 mags become 10 round 357 Sig. I will have to buy some G32 mags so I can get 13+1 357 Sig rounds into that G23 frame.

Recoil, using "range ammo" was similar to my 40 S&W ammo. The indoor range only has 25 yard capacity. Out to 25 yards my groups with ball ammo 40 and 357 were very similar, except for the size of the hole in the paper terrorist I was shooting.

Other than the drop in barrel, I used the factory plastic guide rod and spring for about 50 rounds and then swapped it for my stainless guide rod and 13lb spring. No difference in function or felt recoil.

If you plan on doing this, check the Glock forums and the serial number of your G23. Some of the older frames are not recommended to change over to 357 Sig. If you have a Gen 3 or Gen 4 you for sure can. IIRC correctly Gen 1 and some Gen 2's are not recommended for conversion.

Next up, the Dan Wesson 15-2 357 Mag revolver I got from Locust Fork. I test fired it with 38 Special as soon as I got it, but 357 Magnum rounds are hard to come by. I finally got some last week, so it was nice to put some down range.

This weapon has the big wood grip on it, a nice fit for my paws. After I fired the first round, I was not sure if I had bought a 357 magnum or a flame thrower! The 357 sig rounds had a nice little fireball out the barrel of my G23, but it was nothing compared to that 357 Magnum!

I was surprised that I could keep a group of shots inside the torso with the 2.5" barrel on the DW 15 with magnum rounds. I recently acquired the tool kit and a 6" barrel and shroud for that little baby. At 25 yards I was putting some nice tight groups in the head and heart area when firing single action. Double action trigger is not unmanageable, but single action is sweet for keeping a tight group. Very impressive pistol. I now need to get some more barrel assembly's for that thing.

Next up: Savage Model 24 O/U 22LR and 410 combo. This one I also got from Kasey. My first O/U combo gun. My dad had one like this when he was a kid. When I let him handle that rifle, you could almost see his trip down memory lane while he looked it over. He told me that was the rifle he preferred when his mom would send him and his brother out after squirrels and rabbits.

So, I started out with just one 22 LR round chambered. Pulled the trigger and got nothing. Second strike got ignition and lift off. That was the only malfunction, and I attribute it to the cheap 22 ammo I was using. Next, 410 2.5" target rounds. No problem, and my terrorist was now peppered with tiny little holes from head to groin at a range of about 15 yards.

I varied my 410 ammo from 2.5" to 3" as well as 000 buck and rifled slugs. It took them all flawlessly. That old rifle performed great and still locks up tight.

Dad and I traded around our weapons and blew the heck out of some paper terrorists for a couple of hours. It was a good day.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.